PDA

View Full Version : Danmoto rearsets - brake side seems misaligned

flying_kiwi
11-20-2015, 06:36 AM
First post on this forum, hopefully this is the right place for it.
I'm replacing some broken rearsets on an RS125 with Danmoto ones. Has anyone here put these on an RS125 before?
Lots of googling has turned up plenty of threads about installing them on bigger Aprilias but they're different in size and geometry.
It seems like the pushrod that goes into the master cylinder is never going to line up properly- as assembled, it's going in on quite an angle.

Am I right in thinking this isn't very good for the MC?
The stock rearsets and any Woodcraft or other brands I've looked at have everything nicely lined up along the same axis.
That's with the pushrod made as short as possible without removing the locknut- and even if you remove it it's not much better.
The geometry is quite different to stock- on the Danmotos the MC is brought much closer to the pivot of the brake pedal.
In pic below I'm lining up the pivot axes of old and new, you can see it's a big difference.

Danmoto has no instructions or manuals online or included in the kit, which is pretty frustrating.

Is there a simple thing I'm doing wrong, or am I going to have to make a new bracket for the master cylinder or something?

Motolorax
11-20-2015, 03:08 PM
Looks like the wrong bracket or lever. They have to line up and it doesn't look like there is any adjustment.

maddad
11-20-2015, 07:09 PM
Some rear sets come with multiple holes I still don't see it fitting the lever looks weird where is the rod mounting point? needs to be longer for sure.

stevieboy22
11-20-2015, 07:20 PM
I thought about getting a set of those. Good thing my 61 year old knees talked me out of it!

flying_kiwi
11-20-2015, 07:40 PM
Yeah, it doesn't seem like there's any way to move the master cylinder relative to the lever. It's clearer in this manufacturer photo:

The master cylinder bracket bolts into the back of the danmoto-logo bit. It fits nicely into a cutout and there are only two bolts.

The lever pivots around the footpeg axis, and the rod mount, pivot and lever are all one part as you can see below. I'm holding it in front of the stock rearset to check the pivot-to-rod-mount distance is the same.

The only adjustment is by moving the whole assembly around, bolting into different holes on that grid in the mounting plate.
But obviously that doesn't change the relative positions of master cylinder and lever.

I'm gonna get in touch with the guy I bought it off (and have emailed danmoto directly because it can't hurt) to see if maybe I've been given one wrong part.
But what I have looks exactly like the pictures on the danmoto website.
I can't find any pictures of one assembled with a master cylinder though.

So maybe it's just crap design, and I'll have to mill up a new cylinder bracket myself.
Everything would be gravy if that bracket was a little shorter, or if it tilted the cylinder down more.

maddad
11-21-2015, 01:16 AM
I get it the master Cyl bracket should go down to another hole to line up.

L.T.R 250
11-21-2015, 04:01 PM
Or could you were there push rod fits like thag wants fatching out 30mm

if you get what i mean

flying_kiwi
12-17-2015, 01:11 AM
Danmoto support was pretty helpful, I sent them a picture and they replied pretty quickly saying that it's definitely the wrong part. Even sent me a picture to show what the pivot/arm bit should look like (left) vs what we got (right).
If you're having trouble visualising where it goes, the pedal bolts down onto the rounded-rectangle protrusion.
I forwarded this to the shop I bought the rearsets from and they were apologetic and sent me out a new set. Just arrived a few days ago... and it's exactly the same as the first part. :bangwall:
I dunno if the shop is using the wrong part number when they order from China or if there's some mistake made elsewhere in the supply chain...
I'm optimistic that we'll get to the bottom of it but it's just super frustrating, this is the only part that's keeping the bike from being rideable, and it's summer here (NZ) so nice riding weather.

flying_kiwi
01-31-2016, 06:23 AM
Just thought I'd update this so there's an end to the story.
Danmoto eventually sent out just the arm (on the left in the picture above) with the idea we could just swap that in and things would be gravy. Unfortunately, it wasn't that simple. The holes for the brake rod are different sizes so there was lots of slop in the brake rod. Things STILL didn't line up with the brake cylinder right, the pushrod is way too long. The new part we got couldn't have the travel stop from the old part installed because a hole wasn't threaded. Just a total disappointment.

So after two months of frustration we called it a day, got a refund on the Danmotos and ordered some rearsets from Tyga. Those ones weren't without drama either (of course!) - but just required cutting the shifter link rod down by 10mm or so. Bike is all together now, registered, inspected and on the road. So a happy ending at least :) , although it took a while to get there.

L.T.R 250
01-31-2016, 09:37 AM
Hi, happy you there in end, are these what didnt fit the ones on ebay for around 125.

If so i was going to buy a pair

flying_kiwi
02-11-2016, 05:56 PM
Yeah that sounds like the ones, from Danmoto?
I bought them from a reseller rather than direct from Danmoto, which seems like part of the problem. You might have better luck with getting the right parts if you're buying straight from Danmoto.
I have no idea if the actual RS125 kit will fit well or not. What I received was a mash-up of bits, some RS125, some meant for RSV 1000 or something else.