PDA

View Full Version : NSW Run To QLD

DeTuono
06-29-2004, 06:26 AM
I got back last night. It was a full-on ride: 2,400km over four days. Really nice guys; everyone from chefs, plumbers, sheetrockers, lawyers and 767 pilots! Almost everyone was on a late model jap sportsbike: the new Fireblade, a new R1, several gixxer thous. Then there were the oddballs: some guy on a BMW K1 (!!) and me on the Tuono, which was much admired. I had a ride on a gixxer. Amazing bike, but too anodyne for a contrary
bugger like me.

The standard of riding was very high. I'm used to being one of the quicker riders in a group, and in this I was about 7th of 12. Even the K1 overtook me once! Very quick group but very safe, particularly the old hands.

We did the Oxley, Thunderbolt's way and made it up as far as Boondah in QLD. One of the best things about the ride was the places we stopped for lunch or overnight - the organiser knows some top hotels and cafes.

Low points were my puncture (see pic) in the middle of nowhere. I was tail-end charlie to avoid the dust and nobody noticed I'd stopped. I was there for an hour before someone came back and rescued me with a plug kit and an electric pump. The only other downer was the early morning chill! See pic for evidence!

Another shitty day in paradise as Leigh says! :D :D :D

Cheers, Nick

DeTuono
06-29-2004, 06:28 AM
The puncture :(

DeTuono
06-29-2004, 06:30 AM
Lunch :)

DeTuono
06-29-2004, 06:33 AM
Last one: part of the group

Fox
06-29-2004, 10:33 PM
Sounds like a dream ride! Altough I resent the 'tail end Charlie' implications! :D

Charlie.

DeTuono
07-03-2004, 02:21 AM
:funnypost

Tail-End Charlie! That'll get back... :p:

cornercarver
07-09-2004, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by DeTuono
I was there for an hour before someone came back and rescued me with a plug kit and an electric pump.

Let me guess. The beamer guy was the one with the patch kit and electric pump.

--sam

DeTuono
07-09-2004, 09:22 PM
You again! ;)

Actually, it was a guy on a Gixxer 1000. The new pumps are very small (about the size of two packs of cigarettes). Fit right under the seat. I may indulge in one before the next long ride.

These guys were experienced long-distance, fast travelling motorcyclists. Didn't like the BMW gas kit, spurned the aerosol repair. I think I'll learn from their experience rather than my own mistakes!

Sure was quiet and lonely out there before that guy came back for me!

Nick :aussie:

cornercarver
07-09-2004, 11:23 PM
Yeah, I learned the lesson about patch kits and pumps when I was riding a beamer (patch and CO2 kit comes from factory) and I got a flat near a gas station, so it wasn't too much of an inconvenience. I did go out and buy a pump and patch kit for each bike, though. You can get really cheap ones at any auto parts store here and just strip off all the plastic shell to make a really tiny package. Less than $20 US.

--sam