PDA

View Full Version : Aprilia Newbie

Bladeblaster
07-29-2015, 11:12 AM
Hi Guys,

I have accidentally ventured into the Aprilia world after buying an RS50 for my daughter, not everything quite went to plan, and without boring everybody with details I now have a project. I have decided to go for it with full resto BBK, custom exhaust, custom paint, and anything else I can think of.

This is the first time I have taken something like this on, I have done some light resto work on other bikes, but nothing on this scale.

I am going to need a lot of help :worship:

Anyway here is the beast, 2006 registration but clearly not a 2006 model so I am assuming 2005?

Bladeblaster
07-29-2015, 11:13 AM
One thing I was thinking of doing was fitting a RS125 front end, is that doable or are the stems different sizes?

Spudgun60
07-29-2015, 12:12 PM
Hi and welcome aboard the crazy world of the RS50.

Don't worry about how your bike looked. It's very hard to find an original RS50 now. They've almost all be customised or crashed at some point. There's plenty of information on tuning and sensible upgrades here. The first thing I'd suggest is that you write what you want to achieve (A specification if you will). This will help us to help you. Oh, I wouldn't bother with the RS125 forks. They're completely different.

Bladeblaster
07-30-2015, 02:32 AM
Hi, Cheers.

Well my instinct is to go for as much power as possible, its hardly ever going to get used, but it needs to work its not an ornament. Other than that, cosmetically it needs to look the dogs, I have a Tricolore scheme in mind already so I know where I am going with the over all look, the more GP-esque the better. :)

Spudgun60
07-30-2015, 11:52 AM
So you're wanting a full on performance looney bike? Hope you've got deep pockets as the parts are certainly out there. Do you want to stay with a given capacity limit, or just go nuts? Either way, you'll need a strengthened crank. You'd need to upgrade the clutch to handle the extra power. Then there's a larger gearbox sprocket to make use of the extra power. A larger carburettor and a better exhaust goes without saying.

mattology
07-30-2015, 12:15 PM
125 swap

Bladeblaster
07-31-2015, 02:30 AM
So you're wanting a full on performance looney bike? Hope you've got deep pockets as the parts are certainly out there. Do you want to stay with a given capacity limit, or just go nuts? Either way, you'll need a strengthened crank. You'd need to upgrade the clutch to handle the extra power. Then there's a larger gearbox sprocket to make use of the extra power. A larger carburettor and a better exhaust goes without saying.

Well I was aiming to stick to about 1000 budget, maybe 1,500. I have been looking at the 80cc kits, up rated cranks, I figured clutch, and a custom exhaust has always been on my list. I am going to be looking for advice on the best buys, as I would rather spend a bit more on quality, than waste money on junk.

125 swap

I though about it, BUT I do want to keep at as 'primarily' and RS50, albeit modified, rather than transplanting the engine from something else. I will do an RS125, and an RS250 at some point so that I have a set but I want them all to be based on the original bikes.

Spudgun60
07-31-2015, 11:26 AM
I am going to be looking for advice on the best buys, as I would rather spend a bit more on quality, than waste money on junk.

Probably the best tip is: Avoid Ebay like the plague if you're looking for new parts. There is some good stuff on there, but there's plenty of junk. The hard part is telling which is which. Ebay is good for 2nd hand parts though. Use on-line retailers.

Go for name brand items. Look for stuff like Top Performances, Airsal, etc. Then look for people's reviews on that item. Always look for more than one review. Then you'll get an overall picture of what that part is like. There's plenty of experience on here.

mattology
07-31-2015, 11:55 AM
I can tell you this, I would dump equal money into the gearbox as you do the kit and crank. The gearbox on the AM6 is absolute junk. The best thing of swapping my two RS50's to 125's was the uprated gearbox that they both have now.

I also think it is easier and cheaper to get more power just as reliably as a built, high strung RS50->80

http://i.imgur.com/SCfnwbJ.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucHAzMx5XEU

Bladeblaster
08-01-2015, 10:38 AM
I can tell you this, I would dump equal money into the gearbox as you do the kit and crank. The gearbox on the AM6 is absolute junk. The best thing of swapping my two RS50's to 125's was the uprated gearbox that they both have now.

I also think it is easier and cheaper to get more power just as reliably as a built, high strung RS50->80

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucHAzMx5XEU

well that is true.

I am having second thoughts though, thinking maybe I should keep it the standard 50cc, but try and extract the best power possible from that intended cc.

I want to learn about tuning primarily its no so much about the end product as the learning curve.

Spudgun60
08-01-2015, 11:23 AM
It's not absolutely necessary to upgrade everything when moving to 70cc. I spend a year on a mildly tuned BBK and a 19mm carb on a stock crank. Although I've now fitted an upgraded crank and clutch. I'm still using the same BBK (Although with a 21mm carburetor). Let's just say I've increased the engineering tolerance (or abuse factor) if I fancy fitting a BBK with a little more power.

Now, I'll be honest. I had no idea that the gearbox can be problematic until mattology mentioned it (I'd like to know what the problem is though as nobody else has mentioned it).

Even though (at this time) you want to stay at 50cc. I suggest that you upgrade the crank and clutch. Reason being: You'll only have to split the engine once. Once done, you can experiment with tuning parts without having to remove the engine again.

mattology
08-03-2015, 06:20 AM
Every single am6 i've shifted, save for one, has been super notchy, lots of false neutrals, gears just seem clunky, and the shifter is not smooth at all. It was like.. gasp.. a british transmission.

shifting a japanese bike's transmission will make you understand just how horrible the am6 transmission is, lol.

i have rounded off dogs, broken teeth off of gears, bent shift forks and selectors... the am6 transmission is so weak once you put the 80cc and above kits on it and start shifting it quickly.

the dirt bike transmissions are so overbuilt it's hilarious. i never have to use the clutch up or down shifting if i dont want to and it's still smooth as butter. just using throttle or quickshifter to shift it.

Spudgun60
08-03-2015, 10:56 AM
Ahhhh. I see what everyone means now. I was of the impression that the gearbox had a tendency to explode, due to a weakness in the design.

I've had two running AM6 engines thus far. The first one had more false neutrals than my Enfield (That's because my Enfield only has 4 gears). The engine in the bike is rather sweet, but the top gear is notchy.

Bladeblaster
08-06-2015, 06:13 AM
So, other than putting in a 125 lump, what would be the best way to improve the existing gear box?

Dcrac3r
08-06-2015, 02:22 PM
Full on race trans.

Spudgun60
08-06-2015, 02:30 PM
So, other than putting in a 125 lump, what would be the best way to improve the existing gear box?

Don't rush the gear changes. If you've ever ridden old Brit iron. You'll find it easy.

The AM6 gearbox isn't all that bad. I've gone for weeks without fluffing a gear change. When I do. It's because I've forgotten which side the gear change is on (I sometimes forget which way up the gears are on my Enfield).

Bladeblaster
08-07-2015, 03:44 AM
nice n expensive lol http://www.rrd-preparation.com/en/48-complete-gear-boxes-transmissions-for-minarelli-am6

Not too bad, worth considering.