PDA

View Full Version : Palmer accessory bar - blade system

bros400pgm
07-27-2015, 10:21 AM
Hi
Anyone has the blades on his capo?
I am trying to source some info about their behavior while riding but cannot find anything.
I am most worried about the shake and capability to read the GPS.

CapCal1000
07-27-2015, 10:36 AM
I have it... Without the gps bar the palmer mounts let the windshield shake a bit, but with the structural help of the GPS bar its quite solid. You won't have any problem with your stuff mounted there, it will be smooth and solid.

Capoandrew
07-27-2015, 08:57 PM
I have the accessory bar. I had to modify it slightly with some rubber stoppers. It works well now and there is no screen shake.
Do a search on accessory bar. There are some photos showing what I mean

bros400pgm
07-28-2015, 02:42 AM
I have the accessory bar. I had to modify it slightly with some rubber stoppers. It works well now and there is no screen shake.
Do a search on accessory bar. There are some photos showing what I mean

I was thinking the same. The upper part seems to vibrate a lot.
I have seen your post but i don't want to go that way for a 90pound product. May i ask, what was the gap between screen and blade and what thickness rubber you put in to fill the gap?

Capoandrew
07-28-2015, 06:03 AM
Bros, the issue was there was flex in the bracket. It's pretty thin stainless steel which is good and bad. The good is it doesn't rust. The bad is the inherent flex. To me, if the blades had more side metal (triangulation) then they wouldn't flex at all.

I used some pull through rubber stoppers that I had lying around the garage; I think they are about 4mm thick. Really, it doesn't matter the thickness, it was just to put some pressure on the screen to stop the vibration. And, there were some convenient holes already in place.

I've been meaning to discuss with Ian Palmer for some time, just haven't got around to it.

bros400pgm
07-28-2015, 07:05 AM
That's what I needed to know. Rubbers put force to the screen so thing does not vibrate.
I think he cannot put any side metal as it might hit the plastics?
What is the thickness of the blades?

Capoandrew
07-28-2015, 09:20 PM
1.5mm, maybe 2mm

bros400pgm
07-29-2015, 03:13 AM
Cheers.
I am trying to source or fabricate a bar that is rigid enough for my TiBo4050 gps.

Capoandrew
07-29-2015, 03:23 AM
No probs Bros, Let us see the end result ok!

I like the Palmer product, but it could have been better in a few areas. If you can redesign the mousetrap, so to speak, you will be on a winner.

AndyB
07-31-2015, 05:52 PM
Cheers.
I am trying to source or fabricate a bar that is rigid enough for my TiBo4050 gps.

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?265909-Sat-Nav-Accessory-bar-above-the-clocks/page3 Post 33.

AndyB

CapoMario
07-31-2015, 07:03 PM
My bar came with the rubbers already. I think they added them to address the issue.

bros400pgm
08-01-2015, 02:34 AM
My bar came with the rubbers already. I think they added them to address the issue.

Can you post a picture how it looks like? Cheers

bros400pgm
08-01-2015, 02:36 AM
http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?265909-Sat-Nav-Accessory-bar-above-the-clocks/page3 Post 33.

AndyB

Cooooool !!!!! No vibrations, huh?

AndyB
08-01-2015, 04:51 AM
Cooooool !!!!! No vibrations, huh?

No vibs at normal road speeds but there is some resonance at low revs, but not an issue really.

AndyB
08-01-2015, 04:52 AM

Mario,

There you are. We missed you.
When will we see you next? Oop North rally?

Andy

haga lout
08-01-2015, 05:23 AM
A
Mario,

Andy

Yes come on we need a pro photographer hope your coming mario

CapoMario
08-01-2015, 12:01 PM
I am away presently, I will post a picture when I get back on Wednesday.

Mario,

Andy
Andy, the date of the rally is on the same week my daughter starts school. I cannot abandon her :bangwall::bangwall::bangwall:

My girl is still with no MOT, under the cover in the garage. She needs to be taken out for a walk eventually. I contacted Grant to give her a service and an MOT but I have yet to find the time to do it. :crybaby:

bros400pgm
08-07-2015, 09:43 AM
I manage to build a blade system, but it seems that there is vibration, unacceptable for me. Tried a 5.5inch phone with a ram mount X Grip. I do not know if the GPS would give less or more vibration.
Will try to fit 2 rubber dampeners between the blades and screen and see if I will trust the palmer product.
The blades are 2mm steel ones.

ps. Don't mind the red sketch on first pic. ;)

Capoandrew
08-07-2015, 08:48 PM
The idea looks ok. Maybe, the rubber dampers will solve your issues. Good luck anyway

MAD G
08-08-2015, 04:40 AM
No vibrations at all and all instruments are visible.
I prefer not to build so high in front of my windshield.

286688 286689

bros400pgm
08-08-2015, 06:39 AM
No vibrations at all and all instruments are visible.
I prefer not to build so high in front of my windshield.

Its difficult to check the path with a gps mounted that low while riding off road (almost all time on your feet). Putting the map on the screen is better to check the crossroads and where to head at. If it was just for reading i would not mind.

MAD G
08-08-2015, 09:59 AM
If I would be riding alot of offroad, I would definitly not be riding a capo.:)

Capoandrew
08-09-2015, 01:24 AM
If you want the same sort of bracket but in alloy, the MG 1200 NTX (Stelvio) has a bracket which fits the Caponord. (I checked)

$75 from our hosts

The only thing I don't like about it is, it's out of line of sight. I prefer the Palmer bracket because the GPS is just under my forward vision, meaning it's a bit safer to view on the fly. (JMHO)

bros400pgm
08-09-2015, 01:46 AM
If I would be riding alot of offroad, I would definitly not be riding a capo.:)

But still brings us in the same situation: i need the GPS to be as close to my eyes, for a quick look.:lol:

Capoandrew
08-09-2015, 02:35 AM
Another subject, for another day, but I have taken my Capo off road many times and been more than happy with it.

Back to GPS mounts. Nothing really works very well off road. I know, I've tried multiple ideas. Also, because you need vastly more concentration when riding off road and looking at a GPS is asking for trouble.

MAD G
08-09-2015, 03:27 AM
@ Capoandrew: The bracket is out of aluminium.

But as always everybody has their own point of view:lol:
I can see it very well and quick during a look at the speedo.

And as I don't ride much standing on the bike we have different demands to the mounting.

haga lout
08-09-2015, 06:35 AM
prefer it up high for a different point when it's mounted down on the bars it's harder to put the keys in the bike I know it's not Mutch but it bugs me so I mad my own mount and it's just right for me no vibs and I can see it at a glance even stud on the pegs and as people that have riden with me know that's alot with my knackerd leg I need to keep it moveing

Capoandrew
08-09-2015, 06:50 AM
I found to be the same Geoff. When I had the GPS hanging off the fork clamp, I was forever having to faff about to insert the key. Small inconvenience, but still an inconvenience.

BTW, which Zumo is that? I'm thinking of upgrading, thus the question

haga lout
08-09-2015, 08:12 AM
I found to be the same Geoff. When I had the GPS hanging off the fork clamp, I was forever having to faff about to insert the key. Small inconvenience, but still an inconvenience.

BTW, which Zumo is that? I'm thinking of upgrading, thus the question
It's the garmin 350lm I upgraded from the zumo 550 the 350 has a lot of good extras like tyres pressure indicators ,built in bike service record and I can work and play back the garmin virb cam the only thing missing is the garmin pin code lock that was on the 550 they do the 390 lm with a bit bigger screen it's 10 mm bigger and 90 more

CapoMario
09-17-2015, 07:52 PM

Nearly forgot... here are the pictures.

Last week, nearly two years after installing them I used my heavy Tomtom Rider on the Palmer thing. I did not notice any particular uncomfortable vibrations and even when there was some vibrations this did not stop from reading the map properly.