PDA

View Full Version : Fuel leak help

Stevil
07-12-2015, 09:50 AM
Hey Guys,

Recently picked up an 03 Capo, thus new to this forum and loving all the info. However after searching I'm not finding what I'm looking for, so I'll just ask. My bike sat for a couple weeks due to a wrist injury and not being able to operate the clutch. When I started it up today it was leaking (pouring) fuel all over the place. I have pulled the tank and check fuel lines and all appear good. Any advice as to what my issue would be?

this only happens on initial start up after sitting. Could it be an expansion issue due to sitting in a hot garage? Or do I possibly have an injector issue? I am at a loss here so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Rickyevans
07-12-2015, 10:49 AM
Hey Guys,

Recently picked up an 03 Capo, thus new to this forum and loving all the info. However after searching I'm not finding what I'm looking for, so I'll just ask. My bike sat for a couple weeks due to a wrist injury and not being able to operate the clutch. When I started it up today it was leaking (pouring) fuel all over the place. I have pulled the tank and check fuel lines and all appear good. Any advice as to what my issue would be?

this only happens on initial start up after sitting. Could it be an expansion issue due to sitting in a hot garage? Or do I possibly have an injector issue? I am at a loss here so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
All apear good. If they are white and plastic bin them for a start

Stevil
07-12-2015, 11:18 AM
Thanks for the reply. Connectors are not the white plastic ones. The quick disconnects have been changed to the metal ones. It appears that the leak is coming from the left side of the bike. And only when started up after sitting for a few days. I have the tank off right now so I can't fire it up to truly see where.

Tarks
07-12-2015, 07:48 PM
Do you notice the leak on the floor or the area above the clutch slave?

Stevil
07-12-2015, 08:31 PM
Do you notice the leak on the floor or the area above the clutch slave?

It pisses down the side of the motor coming from above the clutch slave. I can't see any broken hoses, I'm at a loss.

Matt fe2o3
07-13-2015, 04:19 AM
Stevil, STOP.

Run down to Napa Auto Parts and get some FUEL DYE. Its in a kit, comes with a little blacklight flashlight and some yellow goggles. You wont need the goggles. Just stay out of direct sunlight. Costs about 20 bucks if memory serves.

Dose the fuel, you don't need much.

Report back.

Stanley is right, sounds like injector O-Rings. The dye will look like lava when you shine the light on it. I have some Injector O-Rings, but I think only the big ones - have to check (there are two in each injector). Happy to mail you a few for free.

Stanleybobly
07-13-2015, 04:19 AM
Chrck the throttle body injector o-rings

Stevil
07-14-2015, 09:43 AM
Stevil, STOP.

Run down to Napa Auto Parts and get some FUEL DYE. Its in a kit, comes with a little blacklight flashlight and some yellow goggles. You wont need the goggles. Just stay out of direct sunlight. Costs about 20 bucks if memory serves.

Dose the fuel, you don't need much.

Report back.

Stanley is right, sounds like injector O-Rings. The dye will look like lava when you shine the light on it. I have some Injector O-Rings, but I think only the big ones - have to check (there are two in each injector). Happy to mail you a few for free.

Thank you, Plan on doing this today after work. Will post my findings.

Stevil
07-15-2015, 06:31 PM
I ran some dye through the fuel system and still no luck. No sign of leaking at the injectors or anywhere I can see. Why would this have happened just the once after sitting a week, and not every time I start the bike?

haga lout
07-15-2015, 07:39 PM
Was the tank full ( hot day and fuel expands and goes into overflow tubes then you move bike and it runs down ) just a random thought

Stevil
07-15-2015, 08:15 PM
Was the tank full ( hot day and fuel expands and goes into overflow tubes then you move bike and it runs down ) just a random thought

Tank was about half full. This was my original thought, however fuel was coming from under the tank and running down the side of the motor. Nothing from the overflow tube. It's also not a little bit of fuel, it was a pretty large flow rate. Thanks for the reply.

Matt fe2o3
07-16-2015, 01:47 AM
Stevil, now that you have the dye in, you can shine that light away over the next few days / week. Even a little sweat of fuel will show up with the light. Since you need to re-create the event, try disconnecting your fuel lines, perhaps even popping the tank off,giving is a start to run any fuel out, then re-hook, leave your tank propped and see if re-pressurizing the system gives you any indication. I'm going to guess perhaps the O-rings on the injectors swell a little in presence of fuel/heat and maybe that was enough to seal the leak, so if you work backwards perhaps you can recreate the issue. Without any other suspect, that's where I would start, and i admit it's kinda weak. One silly question, is it possible the fuel return quick connect was not fully engaged? When you pulled up the tank did you disconnect and re-connect the fitting. I only ask as, if the bike is sitting on the side stand and there is a quick connect issue, to me it is plausible that the fuel could simply run down around the throttle bodies down the left side of bike. You have new o-rings on the quick connects? they nick very easy.

Saffa Gaz
07-16-2015, 03:17 AM
You can also check under the tank where the fuel pump and filter sit. Make sure there are no leaks coming from the seal around the base plate.

ravenranger
07-19-2015, 03:19 PM
You might also start with simple - check any fuel clamps and be sure they're tight.