PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on Redline Performance Motorsports - used bike purchase....

Caffeineo
07-07-2015, 10:17 AM
After looking for some time A 2011 Aprilia Dorsoduro 1200 was listed for sale at Redline Performance Motorsports in Yorktown, VA. I live on the other coast so this was a sight unseen purchase and had to rely on the dealer to be honest about the condition of the bike. I was told there was not any damage to the plastics or crash/tip over damage and that the bike ran great. I was also told that the bike would be detailed and checked out in the shop before being sold. After 20-30 miles the "ride by wire" disconnects and the engine bounces between 2-4K RPMs. The "SERVICE/URGENT SERVICE" message comes on the dash. This has happened all 4 times I have ridden it. Yea, a slow learner but the first 20-30 miles are really fun. As if that was not bad enough the gas tank has also expanded and cracked the left side tank cover. All the dealer (Jeff Mac) has done is said "It ran fine when it was here" and now does not respond to any further inquiries for help. I am guessing he is hoping I will just go away. But I bought a bike from a dealer that I was told was in good running condition - but I can not ride it.

I have been able to see the fault codes and it has a P0210 Invalid Signal. Some research here suggest it is the MAP or O2 sensor. I think that the gas tank needs to be removed to get to these but with the expanded tank my concern is getting the tank back on. :bangwall:

Worse yet is that the closest Aprilia dealer is about 400 miles. I am thinking about getting legal help....or just posting my experience online at as many review sites as I can find. Any ideas for how to get this bike fixed and rideable??? Any one ever have something like this happen and what did you do?

xactoman
07-07-2015, 04:22 PM
Did you have the bike shipped to you? If so how long was it in transit?

Caffeineo
07-07-2015, 06:59 PM
It took about 8-9 days. From Virginia to Boise Idaho. As you know these are kinda hard to find so when I saw this on Cycle Trader I jumped on it. Just wish I could ride it.
Since I knew it was in storage for a long time I put some Sea Foam in the tank with the first fill up. No noticeable difference yet.

xactoman
07-07-2015, 09:22 PM
Is the emissions canister and check valve in place? I have a theory that if the bike is in a hot place the gas will expand rapidly and blow the tank out. This could explain the tank and could happen in transit. Not sure how that would effect the engine and sensors. Maybe something happened from fuel expansion. Without a dealer diagnosing it you are left with replacing sensors and hope you get it. These bikes really are quite solid. I can't believe the ptoblem is mechanical.

Caffeineo
07-08-2015, 10:51 AM
Is the emissions canister and check valve in place? I have a theory that if the bike is in a hot place the gas will expand rapidly and blow the tank out. This could explain the tank and could happen in transit. Not sure how that would effect the engine and sensors. Maybe something happened from fuel expansion. Without a dealer diagnosing it you are left with replacing sensors and hope you get it. These bikes really are quite solid. I can't believe the ptoblem is mechanical.

The bike arrived with the problem and canister. I saw the thread about the check valve for the canister being installed backwards (Yours?) So I removed the canister. http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?308353-EZ-Canisterectomy-and-where-did-that-water-come-from Some water came out from the line between the tank and the check valve???? I did wash the bike but with a hose and not a pressure washer. Not sure if that was it or if it had been there a long time or maybe the dealer took a pressure washer to the bike?

Anyways, I took the bike for a short ride at 9:00 PM last night and it ran great without a problem. But it was only a 23 mile ride so .....I can only hope it continues. But until; I get it fixed it will always be in the back of my mind that something could go wrong anytime. Intermittent electrical problems are the worst.

xactoman
07-08-2015, 12:32 PM
I bought my bike new. Reading the forums about swelling tanks; and having experience with other blow tanks that weren't vented, I immediately took off the valve and canister. Never had a problem. It seems that is the culprit and with it removed will vent freely. that said, once the damage is done I don't think it will revert.

As for the error, I would more than likely believe that is a sensor and not mechanical. These machines are highly electronic and any moisture in connections would certainly mess it up. If water came out of your fuel line that could be a good indicator that something got wet or water is in the system (which certainly could have happened in transit). I would take everything apart, clean, dry and fresh fuel. With that sorted it may be the end of your troubles. If not, time for a road trip to Spokane :)

Caffeineo
07-10-2015, 09:00 AM
I bought my bike new. Reading the forums about swelling tanks; and having experience with other blow tanks that weren't vented, I immediately took off the valve and canister. Never had a problem. It seems that is the culprit and with it removed will vent freely. that said, once the damage is done I don't think it will revert.

As for the error, I would more than likely believe that is a sensor and not mechanical. These machines are highly electronic and any moisture in connections would certainly mess it up. If water came out of your fuel line that could be a good indicator that something got wet or water is in the system (which certainly could have happened in transit). I would take everything apart, clean, dry and fresh fuel. With that sorted it may be the end of your troubles. If not, time for a road trip to Spokane :)

Other Italian manufacturers also have some models that have the plastic tanks that expand. Seems like they are attributed to the ethanol in our gas. I can see if the ethanol softens it up and some pressure builds up from a problem with the canister venting......could be a problem. The bike was put on a special pallet and shipped in an enclosed trailer. That is why I did not use U-ship and paid for a good motorcycle transporter. The dealer sent me a pic of the bike sitting in the rain before the carrier picked it up. I really do not think that sitting in rain or riding in rain would cause this. Can you imagine a bike that can not be ridden in the rain? I really have no idea what the cause was I just want to be able to ride the bike.

From all the reading I have done it seems like the O2 sensor, MAP sensor or some other sensor. Just need to figure out which one.

I do ride in trials events near Spokane so I could load up both bikes and let them figure it out while I ride the trials bike.