PDA

View Full Version : Hot weather

Dogslobber
06-15-2015, 06:13 PM
I have a question for those of you that live in a hot climate.

Today is the hottest day I have ever seen here, 90* in the shade. When I got to work it was in the low 50's. My bike sat in the parking lot all day in the sun. When I went to leave it struggled to start. It cranked fine, just took a bit to fire off.

Have any of you experienced this before? What could the issue have been?

TIA for any advice.[emoji482]

Racer X
06-15-2015, 06:22 PM
Heat is hard on batteries

Dogslobber
06-15-2015, 08:26 PM
It was turning over strong, just not firing.

Saffa Gaz
06-16-2015, 02:39 AM
No Idea? Fuel expanding in the tank causing a vapour lock or something. would opening the fuel cap to vent before you try start it help? Us in Blighty don't experience heat.....ever!

JohnG.
06-16-2015, 03:43 AM
in OZ here, summer temps gets up around 45 Deg.C.
I haven't noticed starting being affected, can only think
the IACV is 'out of sorts' at those temps.
Tried turning the key on wait off, on wait start with no throttle?

Capoandrew
06-16-2015, 05:49 AM
Cold is unkind to Caponords, not so much heat.
The hottest I have ever ridden in Sydney has been 44DegC, never had an issue starting.

Dogslobber
06-16-2015, 07:52 AM
Thanks guys. Hopefully it was an isolated event. It's supposed to be just as hot today, I'll see if it happens again.

Precis
06-17-2015, 01:36 AM
I've seen about 45 C on the dash of the Capos. Putting your helmet in the fridge of the motel room helps for about the first half hour....
Don't recall any specific starting issues on hot days, but perhaps it was a bit like cooking with wine: all the alcohol evaporates off at about 50 C and you're just left with red vinegar.
Maybe your fuel turned to vinegar too?
Got to say, I hate leaving any vehicle, particularly a bike and ESPECIALLY a Capo in blazing full sun all day: it's not good for any single part of it; no shade anyway to be had?
And, does it actually get that hot in Alaska?

fig
06-17-2015, 09:03 AM
Yeh thats what I was thinking. 90* in AK=global warming. No wonder the polar bears are eating dolphins...lol ��.

Dogslobber
06-17-2015, 09:16 AM
We have had a record breaking week, temps in the mid 80's to low 90's. Its been brutal for us not being used to it added to it with super low humidity. We have several large wildfires that have started up this week as well, one only 30 miles from me is up to 8000+ acres. Lightning last night started 7 more forest fires, been a rough one so far this summer.

Back on topic, I tucked it up against the building yesterday and it was out of the sun most of the day and she started up like a champ. I'll just have to be careful where I park her.