PDA

View Full Version : Soon to be Aprilia owner

JA_zoidberg
06-14-2015, 03:41 PM
Hey guys and girls, my name is Nathan, live in Sydney, been wanting an RSV4 since they came out.

I'm about to possibly join your club. My good mate is selling his 2011 RSV4 Factory, which is basically my dreambike. I currently own a couple of 2004 R1's a road and trackbike. To be honest I don't really ride on the road much anymore, more trackdays than roadrides in the last 12 months since the track bug bit hard.

Any particular things I should worry about with this year model? I'm going to whack it back into road mode for a couple of months to get used to it before I get it on track, but really can't wait to get amongst it! Absolutely love the sound as I am sure you can all appreciate! Is the valve clearance thing I keep reading about on here a real concern?

Anyway, here are a couple of pics of my current trackbike and the ape I want to buy,

Cheers!

Actually, am now an Aprilia owner!

Nath282483282484282486282487

Proctologist
06-15-2015, 04:15 PM
Welcome to the forum! .. Value clearance has been an issues for some, but not all.

JA_zoidberg
06-16-2015, 12:29 AM
Hi Assman! Hahah, love that show.

Thanks mate, yep, I've been reading up on that. The bike was serviced out at Moto Italia in Sydney at the start of the year and has been ridden on two trackdays since, so I am assuming it was in good hands going out there as they are supposed to be THE aprilia mechanics in Sydney? Anyway, appreciate the response, I think I need this bike to be mine ASAP!

Cheers,

Nath

JA_zoidberg
06-21-2015, 03:19 AM
SO, I ended up buying the bike from my mate after not very much deliberation at all.

http://i.imgur.com/ainMVXT.jpg

I can't bloody seem to be able to attach a pic now? My computer kung-fu is letting me down, so that is a link to it.

First ride today in the cold, bit of rain around, pretty wet roads on new supercorsas, so couldn't really get amongst it at all. I am coming from an 04 R1 roadbike and in comparison, it as actually abut the same level of comfort I would say? Hates to be lugged in low revs, very snatchy down low in first. The seat height is pretty high, was on tippy toes a couple of times backing into a parking space.

That engine note and exhaust is UNBELIEVABLE. God it's so nice!

Couldn't for the life of me work out how to change modes? I was stuck in track mode and the settings my mate had it in from the track. Have yet to calibrate it, will do so next time I ride.

I love this bike!

Will be taking it to the track in about 6 weeks for a blat, drop down a group and go for a cruise is the plan!

Cheers guys,

Nath

fredaroony
06-21-2015, 03:21 AM
Here you go

Looks like you were on the way to the Old Rd?

fredaroony
06-21-2015, 03:22 AM
You change the power modes with zero throttle and pressing the starter button

JA_zoidberg
06-21-2015, 03:38 AM
Here you go

Looks like you were on the way to the Old Rd?

Yeh I was, good eye! I tried that a couple of times, but it didn't change it? T never disappeared. Had the word "race" on the dash too? Ah, I'll work it out eventually. Thanks for the reply though. And putting the pic in! Where did i go wrong with that?

Cheers

Quo Vadas
06-21-2015, 03:40 AM
Welcome to the club.
My bike has done 24k and all valves were in spec. If it's hard to start maybe get them checked and the back cylinders are the important one's to check as they get no cooling and if you love bouncing it off the limiter and riding it hard then you may want to get things checked out.

d

fredaroony
06-21-2015, 03:47 AM
Yeh I was, good eye! I tried that a couple of times, but it didn't change it? T never disappeared. Had the word "race" on the dash too? Ah, I'll work it out eventually. Thanks for the reply though. And putting the pic in! Where did i go wrong with that?

Cheers

I assume you tried the URL link and got a message saying its too big? On the same popup to the link the image you can upload the file instead so I just downloaded yours and then uploaded here.

Changing the modes is described on the page 34 and onwards in the attached manual

JA_zoidberg
06-21-2015, 04:06 AM
Welcome to the club.
My bike has done 24k and all valves were in spec. If it's hard to start maybe get them checked and the back cylinders are the important one's to check as they get no cooling and if you love bouncing it off the limiter and riding it hard then you may want to get things checked out.

d

Thanks for the tip. It's only just got 10,000ks on it, and was serviced out at moto italia in february, been ridden twice since. Appreciate your help.

Cheers!

JA_zoidberg
06-21-2015, 04:08 AM
I assume you tried the URL link and got a message saying its too big? On the same popup to the link the image you can upload the file instead so I just downloaded yours and then uploaded here.

Changing the modes is described on the page 34 and onwards in the attached manual

I could swear I was doing just as it said today! Probably fucking up somehow... I think I was just more interested in riding it than playing with that stuff today. Next sunny day I have off, I'll go for a ride with the manual and make it happen damnit!

fredaroony
06-21-2015, 04:11 AM
I could swear I was doing just as it said today! Probably fucking up somehow... I think I was just more interested in riding it than playing with that stuff today. Next sunny day I have off, I'll go for a ride with the manual and make it happen damnit!

You can just start the bike and do it that way too.

JA_zoidberg
06-21-2015, 04:19 AM
283045 Thanks for that PDF of the manual fredaroony. Just took a pic of my dash, is that "race" bit is an uploaded map? When the full system was installed, they remapped the ECU according to the receipt?

fredaroony
06-21-2015, 04:25 AM
Just took a pic of my dash, is that "race" bit is an uploaded map? When the full system was installed, they remapped the ECU according to the receipt?

That means you either have a "race" ECU, i.e. it was swapped, or the race map has been uploaded. You should still be able to change the mode from "T", for Track, to the other modes.

JA_zoidberg
06-21-2015, 04:32 AM
That means you either have a "race" ECU, i.e. it was swapped, or the race map has been uploaded. You should still be able to change the mode from "T", for Track, to the other modes.

Right, thought so, yeh ECU has had race map uploaded. Thanks for your help mate. I will give the mode swapping a go again next time I ride. I'll get the calibration done too. Appreciate your help, thanks!

JA_zoidberg
06-25-2015, 06:15 AM
So here is a question, did a search, but had no idea what to type.

My dash has an ABS light, but I didn't think my bike, 2011 Factory had ABS? I don't care either way, but am now confused as it appears ABS didn't appear until 2013? Anyway, anoyone know whether my bike does have it?

Thanks in advance,

Nath

WRCPUG
06-25-2015, 07:58 AM
Hey Nath i don't think they do. My mate has a 2011 or 12 APRC and his has the light but no ABS. I think they just use the same dash and thats about it.
I think the ABS models have the different calipers don't they? (i dunno could be wrong)

Best to check if Moto Italia did the valves. I just got mine done 7000kms earlier than the manual states and mine were out and needed shims. And mine hadn't seen a track either was just a road bike.

Your going to love the ape i came off a 2008 R1 and onto the RSV4 Factory and was blown away with how good it was. I loved my R1 but it just doesn't compare....i don't think i can ever go back to Japanese bikes again they are just so sterile.

Eizoz_RSV4
06-25-2015, 08:18 AM
SO, I ended up buying the bike from my mate after not very much deliberation at all.

http://i.imgur.com/ainMVXT.jpg

I can't bloody seem to be able to attach a pic now? My computer kung-fu is letting me down, so that is a link to it.

First ride today in the cold, bit of rain around, pretty wet roads on new supercorsas, so couldn't really get amongst it at all. I am coming from an 04 R1 roadbike and in comparison, it as actually abut the same level of comfort I would say? Hates to be lugged in low revs, very snatchy down low in first. The seat height is pretty high, was on tippy toes a couple of times backing into a parking space.

That engine note and exhaust is UNBELIEVABLE. God it's so nice!

Couldn't for the life of me work out how to change modes? I was stuck in track mode and the settings my mate had it in from the track. Have yet to calibrate it, will do so next time I ride.

I love this bike!

Will be taking it to the track in about 6 weeks for a blat, drop down a group and go for a cruise is the plan!

Cheers guys,

Nath

welcome! i'm fairily new to the RSV4 too and also have a 06 R1 (pretty much same bike as 04) and i have the exact same feeling towards the low revs and seat height! lol i thought the rsv4 would be a bit lower but nope.. so might just lower the rear suspension a little just enough to reach a little better to the floor... unless someone here recommends i don't..?? guys? lol
regarding the revs, don't even think about under 5k lol u'll need to get hold of ur clutch straight after the goes below 5k (the in-line engine is way smoother) lol... it's well annoying though as i live in gibraltar and it's a tiny place so when i take her out for a ride i'm most of the time with the clutch engaged stuck behind a car with oncoming traffic and i haven't had time to go off to spain for some proper riding.. anyways she'll be dressed up for track only soon :)

changing the map is a matter of holding the start button for a couple secs.. the T will have a black square then jsut press the start button again until u find the map you want.

enjoy!

irix
06-25-2015, 09:31 AM
..i thought the rsv4 would be a bit lower but nope.. so might just lower the rear suspension a little just enough to reach a little better to the floor... unless someone here recommends i don't..?? guys? ... anyways she'll be dressed up for track only soon

I wouldn't lower the bike using anything other than the adjustment available through the suspension, or maybe by removing padding from the seat. Altering linkages, etc, can change the chassis geometry and lead to other issues. Given the fact that you may make it track only, I would adjust your suspension for performance, not for your height. If you lower the suspension, you may compromise overall performance, especially when riding at track speeds.

$0.02 USD.

JA_zoidberg
06-27-2015, 03:58 PM
Hey Nath i don't think they do. My mate has a 2011 or 12 APRC and his has the light but no ABS. I think they just use the same dash and thats about it.
I think the ABS models have the different calipers don't they? (i dunno could be wrong)

Best to check if Moto Italia did the valves. I just got mine done 7000kms earlier than the manual states and mine were out and needed shims. And mine hadn't seen a track either was just a road bike.

Your going to love the ape i came off a 2008 R1 and onto the RSV4 Factory and was blown away with how good it was. I loved my R1 but it just doesn't compare....i don't think i can ever go back to Japanese bikes again they are just so sterile.

Thanks mate, seems odd that they already have the dash set-up with an ABS light, yet no ABS? I don't care either way, never had a bike with so much in the way of electronics, never ridden a bike with ABS, so it's not something I'll miss!

I will call moto italia on monday to speak with them and see if the valves were checked.

Tell you what, the thing certainly has "passion"! It's a grumpy bitch when not being ridden hard. Ill mannered and cranky ridden around slowly! But I like it, it's not like I expected it to have pleasant around town manners like a scooter!

JA_zoidberg
06-27-2015, 04:02 PM
welcome! i'm fairily new to the RSV4 too and also have a 06 R1 (pretty much same bike as 04) and i have the exact same feeling towards the low revs and seat height! lol i thought the rsv4 would be a bit lower but nope.. so might just lower the rear suspension a little just enough to reach a little better to the floor... unless someone here recommends i don't..?? guys? lol
regarding the revs, don't even think about under 5k lol u'll need to get hold of ur clutch straight after the goes below 5k (the in-line engine is way smoother) lol... it's well annoying though as i live in gibraltar and it's a tiny place so when i take her out for a ride i'm most of the time with the clutch engaged stuck behind a car with oncoming traffic and i haven't had time to go off to spain for some proper riding.. anyways she'll be dressed up for track only soon :)

changing the map is a matter of holding the start button for a couple secs.. the T will have a black square then jsut press the start button again until u find the map you want.

enjoy!

Thanks mate! Yep, I have worked out the mode changing now, I've just left it in T, seems great! I don't want a watered down version of this thoroughbred! I was stuck behind a car driving up a very tight twisty hill to a mates place yesterday and was riding the clutch like a 125 two stroke dirtbike! So I can appreciate your pains in Gibraltar! I've not really got up the bike in the twisties properly yet, am looking forward to it too!

JA_zoidberg
06-27-2015, 04:03 PM
I wouldn't lower the bike using anything other than the adjustment available through the suspension, or maybe by removing padding from the seat. Altering linkages, etc, can change the chassis geometry and lead to other issues. Given the fact that you may make it track only, I would adjust your suspension for performance, not for your height. If you lower the suspension, you may compromise overall performance, especially when riding at track speeds.

$0.02 USD.

Agreed on that one, I've always wondered about lowering a bike, surely the end result is losing ground clearance?

WRCPUG
06-28-2015, 04:08 AM
Thanks mate, seems odd that they already have the dash set-up with an ABS light, yet no ABS? I don't care either way, never had a bike with so much in the way of electronics, never ridden a bike with ABS, so it's not something I'll miss!

I will call moto italia on monday to speak with them and see if the valves were checked.

Tell you what, the thing certainly has "passion"! It's a grumpy bitch when not being ridden hard. Ill mannered and cranky ridden around slowly! But I like it, it's not like I expected it to have pleasant around town manners like a scooter!

You know what i didn't really find the ape too bad around town. I did a bit of commuting on mine and found it really easy. Not much worse than the R1.
If you change your gearing you wont have to ride the clutch as much around town i went -1 +2 with mine and it made a massive difference.

JA_zoidberg
06-28-2015, 07:01 AM
You know what i didn't really find the ape too bad around town. I did a bit of commuting on mine and found it really easy. Not much worse than the R1.
If you change your gearing you wont have to ride the clutch as much around town i went -1 +2 with mine and it made a massive difference.

Oh, cool. Thanks, I was wondering about a change. I can deal with it, doesn't bother me much, but when chain and sprockets are due I'll go 520 and change it up a little.

Cheers!

JA_zoidberg
07-05-2015, 05:13 PM
So, the kill switch... kill button, made me think my bike had a mechanical the other day. Every other bike I have owned has had a switch, visually extremely obvious when it's on/off. Riding up the freeway the other day, right hand was going numb, so I went to hold the throttle steady with my left hand to shake some feeling back into my throttle hand. I was also wearing (new to me) winter gloves, which were a little bulkier than my usual gloves.

As a result, my left wrist bumped/brushed the kill button, not that I realised at the time... Next thing, forward motion starts to slow, loss of power, changing down gears hoping no one would rear end me, get onto shoulder of freeway pronto.

What the fuck? Electrical? Tried putting in neutral, wouldn't fire? A quick visual wasn't obvious to me the button was on/off, but had a look at the picture underneath the button to realise what I had done, pressed it in, bike took a couple of cranks to fire and I gave it some to get going again, bike coughed and spluttered, then bam! Cue big wheelie!

Yep, I'm an idiot...

TLDR kill button ain't as obvious as kill switch...

DelG
07-06-2015, 07:05 AM
I'm glad you told this story. 1) gave a bit of a laugh 2) I can learn from your experience so as to not do the same lol

While you switched from a R1, I'm jumping from a 04 CBR600RR. I'm sure I've got a couple "oh shit"s in front of me. Haha

JA_zoidberg
07-06-2015, 03:26 PM
I am glad to be of service Del! You're going to love it, the sound, the feel, the... I don't even know how to put it into words, but it is an altogether very stimulating ride, unlike any other bike I have ever ridden!

paulmm600
07-07-2015, 04:46 AM
congrats and welcome about.
try just 1 down at the front first, you can do that without changing the length of the chain.
Let us know what you think on the track.

jchung0729
07-07-2015, 07:40 PM
congrats! I am envious

JA_zoidberg
07-08-2015, 02:58 AM
congrats and welcome about.
try just 1 down at the front first, you can do that without changing the length of the chain.
Let us know what you think on the track.

Thanks fellas!

I have two trackdays coming up 10th and 11th of August, will be taking my R1 trackbike and the new beast for a spin! I've booked a group down to normal on day two, so I should be able to run at a cruisey pace and get a feel for the RSV4. It's going to be very interesting swapping between the two!

Cannot bloody wait!

Cheers,

Nath

Love2Ride
07-08-2015, 05:24 PM
Make sure you post up the track impressions / comparisons!

JA_zoidberg
07-10-2015, 03:00 AM
Make sure you post up the track impressions / comparisons!

I will for sure! It's going to be very interesting to see if it is easier to ride than my R1. I have that set up pretty well now and absolutely love riding it on the track. Mind you, I am now in the process of selling my R1 streetbike and took it for a quick ride the other day, it felt like a lounge chair in comparison to the Aprilia. The RSV4 just feels like it is ready to charge everywhere, all the time. Not saying it is any less comfortable, just... I don't know, just ready to howl at the moon ALL THE TIME! I fucking love it!