PDA

View Full Version : Race ECU question. Not what you think.

almazing
06-13-2015, 01:59 PM
Now before any of you start saying, "Yes, you need it for any aftermarket pipe you n00b!", I got it. I'll be getting a race ECU before I get my slip-on.

Now on to my question... Does the race ECU change any other parameters besides A/F ratios? Does it make the radiator fan come on at a lower temperature for instance? I know the 2013+ have that 'fuel saving mode' in all maps where below 6000RPM or below 15% throttle opening, the power delivery is sacrificed for better fuel economy. Does the race ECU get rid of that?

Thanks!

Hejnfelt
06-13-2015, 04:08 PM
Not sure whether it gets rid of the fuel saving stuff but I would assume so. Mine was a completely different animal after I got the full system and race ecu installed.

What you should know is that it changes the 8 traction control modes. What is 1 in sport or track mode on regular ECU is closer to 4 with the race ecu. 1-3 with the race ecu are even less intrusive and therefore pose larger risk if used for street riding. With race ecu on street I use mode 5 which allows some but very little slide in corners. If we didn't have so bad roads here in Estonia I would probably ride with 3 or 4 but 5 with race ecu seems about right for me.

Chris_Mag
06-13-2015, 07:23 PM
The Race mapping definitely changes the parameters of the RBW. Specifically, Sport Mode is full power in all gears, and Road Mode is limited only in lower gears if my memory serves. From my experience, there is less engine braking in Road also, which makes it genuinely more friendly in damp/cold conditions.

almazing
06-13-2015, 07:49 PM
Ah right. I've read that about the different maps. I didn't know there was less engine braking. That's good. What I'd like to know is whether or not the fan come on at a lower temp. As of now, I hear the fans kick in at 210, which is a little high for my tastes. Would be nice to have it kick it at 200 or so. It is a race ECU after all. I don't like seeing my temps hover around 220 on hot days at a stop light. Especially since overheating occurs at 240-something.

marcodarq
06-13-2015, 08:50 PM
i live in sunny and hot south florida, and while my bike also runs hotter than i'd like, it does not overheat. also engine temps were taken into account by the R&D team so i'm not one to argue since i don't have the cabbage backing up my R&D dept.
m

almazing
06-14-2015, 04:19 PM
Another question. Would there be any harm in running a race ECU with the stock exhaust system? I'm looking to buy the race ECU first, get it installed, then a slip on soon after.

amauri
06-14-2015, 04:21 PM
no harm at all

MackemQ
06-14-2015, 05:39 PM
I had been running the sc project crt pipe for about 500 miles and just added the race ECU a few days ago, now it pops and bangs like crazy when I come off the throttle, could this potentially damage the engine.

straight6
06-14-2015, 05:52 PM
why not start with the slip on? get rid of some weight and make the bike sound better.. the race ecu you can install yourself when you get it

almazing
06-14-2015, 06:00 PM
why not start with the slip on? get rid of some weight and make the bike sound better.. the race ecu you can install yourself when you get it

I can install the ECU myself. But the race ECU needs to be hooked up to specific software to do the throttle and handling learning procedures. If I had PADS and the needed cables, I can probably do that myself as well.

I'd run just a straight slip-on but after seeing AFR charts, the lean spike at 6-7K RPMs worries me a bit. It's hot and humid here and 6-7K RPMs is cruising and transit RPMs for me. I'd rather not have my engine malfunction. Lean is hot. Rich is less hot. The bike runs hot enough in stock form. Add the ambient heat and humidity and it'll be a recipe for disaster in the long run.

Wyckedan
06-14-2015, 06:01 PM

The bike might run too lean with just the slipon if it doesn't have a cat, race ecu needs throttle handling/learning compleated. Easily done with Guzzidiag if you have it, but not all of us do

straight6
06-14-2015, 07:53 PM
Personally I think you'll be ok if you run the bike with a slip-on for a short period of time until you get your ecu. But to each they're own.
Using Guzzidiag and cables that you can order online, you should have no issues doing the handling and throttle learning. And if you need
help with it, just take a ride by me and I can help you with it.

almazing
06-14-2015, 08:00 PM
Personally I think you'll be ok if you run the bike with a slip-on for a short period of time until you get your ecu. But to each they're own.
Using Guzzidiag and cables that you can order online, you should have no issues doing the handling and throttle learning. And if you need
help with it, just take a ride by me and I can help you with it.

Do you have the cable and software?

straight6
06-14-2015, 08:14 PM
Do you have the cable and software?

Yup! Did mine myself when I got my ecu from AF1.

almazing
06-14-2015, 08:23 PM
Yup! Did mine myself when I got my ecu from AF1.

Heck, it'll be nice to get some help on this. I really dislike going to the dealer near Charlotte. The reason I chose to get the race ECU first is because it's less expensive and more of a 'complicated' install. Plus I haven't decided on a slip-on yet. Get the solid stuff out of the way first. Makes things easier on me. Then I can pick and choose exhaust systems.

straight6
06-14-2015, 09:53 PM
Whenever you're ready just let me know. If you want to come out on a Sunday there's a place in Pittsboro where riders meet in the morning.

motogp34
06-14-2015, 10:49 PM
Just put a race ECU on with arrow slip on. Can you take it to a dyno and get it custom mapped. All the maps are for akropovic and probably not set right for the country I'm in.

bstar360
06-14-2015, 11:16 PM
Just put a race ECU on with arrow slip on. Can you take it to a dyno and get it custom mapped. All the maps are for akropovic and probably not set right for the country I'm in.
"Custom map" tell us more please?

Wyckedan
06-14-2015, 11:29 PM
You need a power commander and sfm or bazzaz, yes it is possible with a skilled tuner and a dyno. Necessary? Not really, unless you make serious changes.

almazing
06-14-2015, 11:32 PM
A slip-on is a slip-on. They're all straight through with no cat. I don't imagine an Akrapovic slip-on or an Arrow slip-on would cause any major variations in AFR at all. The race ECU makes it so that the AFR ratios are within safe ranges when removing the stock pipe that has a built in catalytic converter, among other things.

amauri
06-14-2015, 11:59 PM
correct

amauri
06-15-2015, 12:04 AM
I had been running the sc project crt pipe for about 500 miles and just added the race ECU a few days ago, now it pops and bangs like crazy when I come off the throttle, could this potentially damage the engine.

Short mufflers like the SC project allow cool air to be sucked further into the headers during deceleration.
The combination of the short muffler sucking in cool fresh air, and the richer A/F mixture of the Race map, re-ignites and causes the backfire.

Short mufflers on the RSV4 may look good to some, but they usually cause a slight loss in power. Longer performs better for street use.

MackemQ
06-15-2015, 02:53 AM
Short mufflers like the SC project allow cool air to be sucked further into the headers during deceleration.
The combination of the short muffler sucking in cool fresh air, and the richer A/F mixture of the Race map, re-ignites and causes the backfire.

Short mufflers on the RSV4 may look good to some, but they usually cause a slight loss in power. Longer performs better for street use.

Yeah the pipe is purely for looks and sound, I'm more concerned about any damage I could potentially be doing to the engine as it backfires and pops a lot.

motogp34
06-15-2015, 10:41 AM
All of my Hondas were custom mapped on the dyno, and they all every once in while popped and spurted... No big deal

motogp34
06-15-2015, 10:46 AM
but doesn't the climate you live in affect the map ? Where ever they did these maps were done in their own area, which their climate/altitude would be different then ours ?

motogp34
06-15-2015, 10:48 AM
282560What's the avg. HP gains on a slip-on/Filter change ?

amauri
06-15-2015, 12:56 PM
What's the avg. HP gains on a slip-on/Filter change ?

HP numbers are irrelevant, unless you are racing and close to a podium finish.
For a street bike, all that matters is reliability and smooth, predictable power delivery.

I wish everyone would just ride and stop worrying about hp numbers on a stupid dyno printout.

amauri
06-15-2015, 01:12 PM
but doesn't the climate you live in affect the map ? Where ever they did these maps were done in their own area, which their climate/altitude would be different then ours ?

Fuel injection compensates for both altitude and temperature, no need for custom maps on a stock engine.

motogp34
06-16-2015, 12:18 PM
HP numbers are irrelevant, unless you are racing and close to a podium finish.
For a street bike, all that matters is reliability and smooth, predictable power delivery.

I wish everyone would just ride and stop worrying about hp numbers on a stupid dyno printout.

When you sink $1500 on a Pipe/Race ECU/Filter, YA, I really want to see some fucking #`s ( No Offence )

amauri
06-16-2015, 02:01 PM
Then you might as well save your $1500, you're just not going to see impressive # from the RSV4. No offence.

almazing
06-16-2015, 02:23 PM
Put that $1500 as a down payment for an S1000RR. Boom.

motogp34
06-16-2015, 03:23 PM
Then you might as well save your $1500, you're just not going to see impressive # from the RSV4. No offence.

I have done it to every Honda I owed for the last 20yrs and was always well worth it, but I don't know much about the RSV4.

motogp34
06-16-2015, 03:23 PM
Put that $1500 as a down payment for an S1000RR. Boom.

don't really like the look of the BMW...

Turbinepilot2
06-17-2015, 09:49 AM
You won't get much hp gains from that as previously said. What you will gain is smooth throttle and the weight savings off of the pipe and the amazing sound. First time I rode the rsv4 it felt kinda slow because of the power delivery. I was coming from a Yamaha r1 07 and it had that wait for it wait for it bam holy #%^* feel to the pull. The rsv4 just pulls from down low but it's smooth and consistent the whole way. So if you are looking for that huge burst like a turbo then you'll hate the rsv4. But if you want incredible handling. Amazing sound and full drivability that feels like you are on rails then you will love the rsv4. It has character and Italian. I can sit in my garage and look at the build quality and I never could do that with my Yamaha's.