PDA

View Full Version : need advice on leaking valve covers

ppawlows
06-04-2015, 10:05 AM
At last trackday I have noticed a leak from rear cylinders on my 2010 Factory and before I perform the upgrade wanted to know the following:

1. Has anyone successfully repaired the leak using high temperature sealant like RTV? I was thinking of cleaning the area and re-install the original gaskets with RTV? It leaks from valve cover gasket, only. Spark plugs and the three bolts are ok.

2. Can I replace the gaskets, only? Or valve covers must be replaced as well?

Thanks.

Dirk.diggler
06-04-2015, 10:13 AM
To do the job properly I would replace all the gaskets and get the upgraded rocker covers as they are quite cheap to buy
The manual shows you where to apply the sealant
I used Hondabond and it hasn't leaked since
Cheers

wavz
06-04-2015, 11:17 AM
I actually just got done doing this. I had a leak on my rear cylinder and in the service manual it actually recommends specific locations to apply some RTV. Anything Permatex makes is junk though. The only real effective stuff is Hondabond. Mine was leaking at the 4 o'clock position (sitting on the bike) right next to the large black tab part of the gasket. In the manual it recommends to RTV in those areas....... You DO NOT need to get crazy with the amount and a very small amount worked just fine, not a drop leaked afterwards.

Proctologist
06-04-2015, 11:49 AM
To do the job properly I would replace all the gaskets and get the upgraded rocker covers as they are quite cheap to buy
The manual shows you where to apply the sealant
I used Hondabond and it hasn't leaked since
Cheers

+1 ..

Applying a bead of RTV might just be a short-term solution.

MrBoom
06-04-2015, 12:41 PM
Gaskets are upgraded as well as the covers. Worth doing it right. AF1 fixed mine on the B bike and it didn't cost much at all.

Probably my cheapest bill for repair work on an Italian bike.

comfysofa
06-05-2015, 01:40 PM
Yep. Did mine last year as well.....i must confess i sealed mine all the way round but its been fine since...and yes, definately use the upgraded parts...

Turbonero15
06-06-2015, 11:35 AM
It's worth doing right. The late model covers have a lot more internal bracing. Did mine a few thousand miles ago...Wished I hadn't waited as long as I did. I'd do the cam tower O-rings while you're in there too. I neglected to do mine while I had the covers off and now I have a trickle out of one of the weep holes :/