PDA

View Full Version : love my capo....but..

alexcapo
05-26-2015, 02:26 PM
Battery which is new keeps going flat?? Why will it keep discharging? I charged it ...been on a few runs ... then next day it won't start.... so frustrating! Any ideas?

timcrasher
05-26-2015, 02:37 PM
First off.......welcome to the forum. Introduce yourself in the "Who are you?" section near the top of the page for a proper warm welcome.

It sounds like your Capo is not charging. Probably a regulator/rectifier problem. They are common. You should also check the condition and existence of the dreaded brown connectors. There is loads of info on all this on the forum. Try doing a search.

With you battery fully charged. Connect a volt meter/ multi meter to the terminals. Check the charge rate with the engine running. I would guess that you are only getting close to 12 volts. A good healthy bike will be putting out between 13.7 and 14.5 volts between idle and 4000rpm ( the two key rpm's when testing).

If your bike is not charging at these voltages, the bike will drawn power from the battery until there is not enough voltage for the bike to run properly.

haga lout
05-26-2015, 02:44 PM
As Tim said chargeing problems did you get it privete or dealer if dealer take it back after testing with a volt meater and get them to sort charging it's a simple job that you can do your self if you need to

JohnG.
05-27-2015, 02:39 AM
Welcome to the forum...

1. new Battery
2.fit a CBR 600 R/R
3. rewire direct from the stator
up to the R/R bypassing those
'lovely' brown connectors.

Saffa Gaz
05-27-2015, 03:02 AM
Welcome. As Timcrasher said. Put a voltmeter on your battery terminals - you should get readings around 13.7 and 14.5 volts between idle and 4000rpm. If low then check your regulator/rectifyer. (Right hand sidepanel, just by your leg as you sit on the bike) Then start to trace to the connectors - Search is your friend here on the forum, It's well documented.

alexcapo
05-28-2015, 03:30 PM
Thanks guys ...it has had a new rectifier only 2 months ago...and has been with the main dealer now for 2 months..they have rewired parts and assured me it was fixed... 2 days after getting it back I had a flat battery. Hence my pleading to the forum. I've bought a multimeter so will conduct some tests over next 24 hours to see what I can establish..

Leanit
05-28-2015, 04:14 PM
Don't replace anything until you know what's wrong. Flattening a new battery with duff charging wires won't do anything but cost you money.

haga lout
05-28-2015, 04:22 PM
When you park the bike up do you put the steering lock on ? Becouse if your not carefull the park light is the next to the steering lock and you can turn the key to far and it puts the back light on don't ask how I know but had to get a jump start at a hotel once in the morrning

fig
05-28-2015, 05:57 PM
Ditto