PDA

View Full Version : Wheelies

Eddie Aprilia
05-25-2015, 01:26 PM
Afternoon All

Im sure this has been discussed but how do you find the 1200 for wheeling ?

Sure it flies up in first but mine doesn't seem want to power wheelie in 2nd (had a KTM 959 SM which would no problem)

Just concerned with electrical issues I'm having that it might be effecting power (ABS an traction control light don't go out even though I haven't knocked them off) although it feels quick enough

Im no wheelie king or anything and enjoy having a licence but nice to pull the odd wheelie to impress the ladies LOL ! (my wife thinks Im a idiot for even wanting a bike !!!:lol:

I
7/8 Moat Way, Barwell - LE9 8EY Leicester280745

Locky
05-25-2015, 05:19 PM
Mine will power up in second but I dropped a tooth on the front sprocket.Maybe you know how but if not learn to clutch wheelie(there's lots of how to's on youtube and a couple of good ones)It's much more controllable and those nice long ones with the front about a meter of the ground will make you look like a wheelie king....Have fun

Eddie Aprilia
05-25-2015, 05:38 PM
That's interesting and makes me feel that my bike is running as it should.

yeh used to slip clutch on Ktm after I got used to it, very wary still on Dorso as really don't want flip it

flipped a Honda 250,XR years ago not pretty !

Locky
05-25-2015, 06:18 PM
I know how you feel I've taking off my share of tail lights which is why I suggested the clutch,once you get it down you have much more control cause your not revving the bike as much and if I keep it around 3 feet or a meter I don't have to worry about riding the rear and coming down hard enough to screw the fork seals(done that one also).Wheelies can get expensive and painful real fast and yet I still can't help myself......

Eddie Aprilia
05-26-2015, 11:57 AM
I know what you mean, its so childish but some for reason you just gotta do em even though in my youth i got done twice and nearly lost my licence as they tried to do me for reckless but when I pleaded not guilty for some reason they dropped the case. Not saying they'd do that know though that was 20 plus years ago !!

rst1k
05-27-2015, 12:18 PM
clutch up wheelies are very easy in 1st and 2nd. You can clutch up wheelie in 3rd with a hard tug on the bars. I find that 3500rpm is the sweet spot for clutch up. power wheelies are easy around 5000rpm. the balance point is a bit lower than I expect from a supermoto style bike (me being used to dirt bikes). However, wheelies feel natural and way too easy for a bike of this weight.

Eddie Aprilia
05-28-2015, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the input, still getting used to her, Ill have a play at the weekend. I assume I need to switch both traction control and ABS off to get the front wheel to stay in the air ??

duck21
06-12-2015, 09:20 PM
you need to turn traction control off to wheelie at all basically. With it on your front wheel will crash back down instantly. You can leave ABS on.

If you don't feel like your bike is generating as much power as expected get your air intake and exhaust air sensors checked. Both mine were found to be faulty. Got a new Air and disconnected the exhaust one. Bike is SO much smoother and more powerful.

Treg
06-22-2015, 11:23 AM
I added 3 tooth on my rear sproket and it power wheelie in third...keeping it in the balance point is very hard on that bike since it as a lot of torque. It's the hardest bike I ever had to keep it in the air due to the torque. I prefer to wheelie in second than shift in third until I'm out of torque.....oh and cover the rear brake...:)

Eddie Aprilia
06-22-2015, 02:47 PM
Slipping the clutch in 2nd at lowish revs seems to work for me, Get a few blips without go to high and land generally relatively softly. Always forget to cover brake but need to to too avert a disaster !Trying to get to balance point but my nerves go not so much for me ending on my backside but the destruction it will do to the bike (Flipped a couple in my time !)

MichielK
06-23-2015, 06:11 AM
i dont have the nerve to tried it using 2 or 3 fingers on the clutch, afraid to loose the grip.. but i cannot use 1 finger also on the clutch because its to stiff. anybody experience the same problem with the stiff clutch on DD12?

Locky
06-26-2015, 01:58 PM
Yep the clutch is stiff on my bike also,I tried swapping the master cylinder to nissin with a 19mm piston but it made it worse.I bought one of these adjustable ever last hand grips you283424can adjust it so it's the same weight of pull as your clutch and when I'm not riding I make a point to use it,it's made the clutch much easier to pull.I found if you set the clutch up so your fingers are at the end of the lever you have more leverage and can use 2 fingers on the clutch.I squeeze the tank with my legs and concentrate on the clutch and the throttle and just getting the wheel a couple of feet of the ground till (just like you learned to use the clutch to pull away) you get the feel of using the clutch and throttle to lift the front wheel..............

Skully
06-27-2015, 09:33 AM
Traction control off
2nd gear and 4000rpm
Open throttle
Front lifts with no issue

And it can do the same in 3rd gear with a slight tug on the bars.

Buddy of mine rides a Triumph Speed Triple (wheelie happy for sure) and he says the DD 1200 is a madman's bike.

Treg
06-28-2015, 02:32 PM
Try power shift instead, it's what I do and it's much easier....:) but pratice your shift on 2 wheels before...