PDA

View Full Version : SHE LIVES....... but electrical advice needed.

RH_SCOTLAND
05-22-2015, 12:45 PM
Well the auld girl is running again. Took a bit of looking but Calum (mechanic) found the fault.

The ignition relay, fuel pump relay etc under the seat. Red live wire from each all join into one wire which runs to the fuse box in the dash. Somewhere up near the front of the fuel tank there is an unnecessary connection in the single supply +ve cable.

Well thats the cable that failed/corroded. With ignition on, all tests across relays showed normal but as soon as a load was applied turning the bike over - the power was gone.

Calum has run a new cable from the fuse box to the relays, and she is running again.

But, he looked at pretty much all the electrical connections and wires. The usual Capo problems of corrosion, black copper strands and shite crimped connectors.

So what I need to know is, is it worth trying to get decent replacement Aprilia looms or should I see a guy who rewires bikes for a living.

This is all way above my head, so what would be the best road to go down if I want to keep the auld beastie for another five years?

nerald
05-22-2015, 01:17 PM
If you are planning on keeping for 5 years plus then it may be worth getting it professionally rewired with better components etc. But I can imagine the job will be an expensive doo. However buying a new loom is going to be a hit and miss affair - New = you will pay for it and probably some ridiculous amount of cash. Used = quite possibly buting the same issues as any looms from used bikes out there are now 9+ years old as the Capo was discontinued in 2005.
I personally would get it rewired as I intend to keep mine for as long as I can keep it roadworthy. The longer you keep it the less it has actually cost you.

RH_SCOTLAND
05-22-2015, 01:55 PM
That was my thinking about second hand Mark, could well be more of the same.

I'm gonna have a search online, Calum said there is a guy who travels throughout UK rewiring bikes for a living. At worst if would cost the price of a brand new loom? Hopefully! And better components and finish than the trusty Aprilia standards.

Had considered seeing what price Grant would charge, but its a 640 mile round trip. And I imagine it would be doubtful he could rewire in a day!

See what I can find, but leaning towards a rewire unless I can find a nice cheap new loom!

timcrasher
05-22-2015, 02:10 PM
You'll be after a guy called Ferret. He would be a good man to speak too.

http://www.motorcyclewiring.co.uk/

RH_SCOTLAND
05-22-2015, 02:49 PM
I've been looking at his site Tim. A wee call once we are back from Hebrides.

You know of anyone who has used his services?

I might even have a reliable Capo for the Clan 2016 trip....

clankymick
05-22-2015, 03:24 PM
My mate down Lowestoft used him a few times Robbie, Brilliant work by Ferret, not cheap but what I saw was worth every penny.

My fuel gauge went south today, stripped the tank and sender, checked the resistance in the loom, lost the will to live after 14hrs so put tape over the flashing lamp.

nerald
05-23-2015, 04:09 AM
Ferret has done a few jobs for Henry Cole on his show. He seems to be held in high esteem. I know a couple of guys locally who run old Italian race bikes who have used him and those guys are hard to please.

RH_SCOTLAND
05-23-2015, 05:25 AM
Ferret's website doesn't give much away, only a few photos and no testimonials.

Info from you guys is good. I have three avenues to look into now!

Get the ball rolling once we get back.

Tarks
05-24-2015, 04:34 AM
Cheap loom on ebay buy it sort it prior to install job done imo sometimes the cost of one major part is irrelevant MAKE LIFE EASY.

save a bit of cash n stress about it or spend and then reap the enjoyment of a sorted bike.

beasthonda
05-28-2015, 02:26 PM
I would be tempted to buy the cheap loom from ebay if it is cheap and check that out when it turns up.
If it is bad you could strip the loom and make good at your leisure and fit when your happy.

But getting some one to rewire the whole bike sound very expensive and a lot more work if loom is still on the bike.

RH_SCOTLAND
05-28-2015, 02:39 PM
In negotiation at the moment for a second hand one.