PDA

View Full Version : I had lots of oil in the airbox, lower RPM stutter, do I need to clean the TBs?

Petrolburner
05-13-2015, 12:15 AM
Previous owner appears to have done the cannisterectomy, and the drain in the airbox was capped off. I've had a bit of a stutter at 1/4 to 1/2 throttle at lower RPM. No other defects noted. Is there anything I should do to clean the throttle bodies? Fuel injector cleaner? Just ride it? I didn't think I had overfilled the oil but I'll leave it lower on the sight tube now.

Stanleybobly
05-13-2015, 02:28 AM
Drain is always capped off.
You need to clean the steppermotor. Left with the white round thing in it

Petrolburner
05-13-2015, 10:31 AM
Drain is always capped off.
You need to clean the steppermotor. Left with the white round thing in it

Disassemble or just spray with brake cleaner? What is its function?

sloth
05-13-2015, 10:35 AM
I found this thread useful when I had to clean my stepper motor.

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?160888-Cleaning-of-the-stepper-motor&highlight=cleaning+stepper+motor

The airbox drain should be capped off at the bottom end of the hose. I was not sure if you meant it had been capped off at the airbox itself.

Petrolburner
05-13-2015, 11:48 AM
Yes it had a cap on the nipple right on the airbox. A hose with a plug so that it could be drained without dis-assembly sounds like a good idea.

timcrasher
05-13-2015, 01:17 PM
Holy crap on a cracker! I've never seen a self oiling K&N filter before:eek:

Is there anything you should do to clean the throttle bodies? What about the rest of the crap you have in there! Have you been riding stages of the Dakar Rally? Your poopr Capo must feel like a marathon runner with a 60 a day smoking addiction:lol:
As well as cleaning the stepper motor and the air box of oil deposits, because your filter is dirty you will be having to open the throttle wider to get the engine to pull. This allows more oil blow back though the throttle butterflies, and the breather system in to the airbox. You must be of been getting poor MPG too. Give everything a good clean, check your oil level at full operating temperature, and all should be fine.

catfish
05-13-2015, 01:37 PM
Previous owner appears to have done the cannisterectomy, and the drain in the airbox was capped off. I've had a bit of a stutter at 1/4 to 1/2 throttle at lower RPM. No other defects noted. Is there anything I should do to clean the throttle bodies? Fuel injector cleaner? Just ride it? I didn't think I had overfilled the oil but I'll leave it lower on the sight tube now.

Probably too-much oil in oil tank... AND that plugged airbox drain line is supposed to be unplugged & DRAINED at each oil change, and then re-plugged. RTFSM! (Read the F#ckin' Service Manual!) Its online & free!

Clean airbox & stepper-motor "valve".

Catfish ...

Kid A
05-13-2015, 03:58 PM
Do any of you just leave an open drain line for those that don't over fill oil? My rsvr doesn't have a drain and nothing ever gets into airbox, but I haven't owned Caponord long enough to understand what the drain is for. Moisture? Deep water crossings? Condensation? I can't imagine why the Caponord airbox has such a big deep glove box compartment with a drain line like that in the airbox.

fig
05-13-2015, 05:12 PM
Probably part of the canister system? Mine was removed when I bought it so it is blocked off too and often gets oil in it. I need to clean it out now as well becausim getting the same symptoms.

Petrolburner
05-13-2015, 06:09 PM
It was only a thousand miles since I changed the air filter and did an oil change. I didn't think I had over filled the oil, I didn't have hardly any oil in the air box at the time either. I now know that reading full when hot is too full. I ride in dusty central Oregon, doesn't take long to look bad.

Matt fe2o3
05-13-2015, 06:40 PM
I have found that a good measure is completely draining engine sump, oil filter housing and oil tank - on side stand. Then adding 3.5 liters (or US quarts - depending on your oil packaging - its close enough), going for a 5 minute ride through all the gears up and down, park on side stand and add only until oil level is just to or below min mark. Usually takes total about 3.75 liters.

Petrolburner
05-13-2015, 07:37 PM
I'm still not sure how to clean the throttle bodies. If they were carbs I'd just clean the whole thing and remove the jets and clean them.

fig
05-13-2015, 07:41 PM
I believe the best way is ultrasonic cleaner.

Matt fe2o3
05-13-2015, 09:19 PM
Petro, throttle body cleaner would work. Kinda a pain to rig the tank up, just use some blocks and towels. try to only have a gallon or so of gas in the tank. Spray away keeping the revs up. I do it once in a while.

On the stepper, I suggest you remove it from the airbox. Split the stepper motor base from the tube (just pull the long screws out is all) and clean the tube and the white piston by hand. http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?266685-What-did-you-do-to-your-Caponord-today-!!!!&p=3794031&viewfull=1#post3794031

Throwing loads of throttle body / carb cleaner down the stepper orfice in place will just have the solvent sit on the base of the stepper shaft o-ring (little bugger at very base of plunger) and I assume lead to avoidable premature stepper failure.

Stanleybobly
05-14-2015, 01:31 AM
I'm still not sure how to clean the throttle bodies. If they were carbs I'd just clean the whole thing and remove the jets and clean them.

İ clean the airbox and steppermotor with Fuel.

Petrolburner
05-14-2015, 11:27 AM
Stepper motor was working fine, cleaned and reinstalled. I cleaned the K&N airfilter, airbox, TB plates and stacks. I guess there are no fuel injectors to clean? I don't have an ultrasonic cleaner sooooo.... I'll put it all back together and see if my stumbling has gone away.

fig
05-14-2015, 11:40 AM
Get a cable so you can connect your ECU to a computer and download Tune ECU. Then you can change fuel maps for a better one and reset tps, verify coils are working properly and make several other adjustments. http://moto-abruzzo.com/ has some good info. Catfish has a website with fuel maps. There are a few other various websites with info. Search this forum or Google.

http://www.tuneecu.com/ When looking for the cable you may want to verify with a few members you are getting the right one or the parts to build one.

http://www.ftdichip.com/FTDrivers.htm I believe they have the drivers youll need unless they have been pulled. Seems that is a possibility. It's a slow process, wont happen overnight unfortunately...I can confirm that. Tune ecu sticky at top has some info in it too.

Petrolburner
05-14-2015, 12:02 PM
I have the Tuneboy stuff, actually letting another forum member borrow at the moment. Previous owner put Catfish's map on, great power and rideability on 87 octane! :burnout:

I've put 10,000 miles on the bike, changed oil several times, have other dry sump motorcycles and airplanes. I've never overfilled it through stupidity or neglected the Caponord. I think that having oil up to the full mark is too full. I'll keep it halfway between the high and low marks from now on.

Matt fe2o3
05-14-2015, 02:21 PM
Stepper motor was working fine, cleaned and reinstalled. I cleaned the K&N airfilter, airbox, TB plates and stacks. I guess there are no fuel injectors to clean? I don't have an ultrasonic cleaner sooooo.... I'll put it all back together and see if my stumbling has gone away.

There are two (duh..), I have never pulled mine, I just run a bottle of Techron to a tank - twice in a row and am good for most of a year.

Petrolburner
05-19-2015, 05:01 PM
There are two (duh..), I have never pulled mine, I just run a bottle of Techron to a tank - twice in a row and am good for most of a year.

I only meant that people kept telling me to clean the stepper motor when my repeated question was how to clean the TBs. I reassembled everything and took it for a ride, same stuttering as before. Ordered new spark plugs. If that doesn't fix it I'm going to have to drop it off with my friend who is an Aprilia mechanic. I've got enough work to do on the other 4 motos to keep me busy.