PDA

View Full Version : dash screen cracks...

rupe w
05-12-2015, 06:09 AM
My 2010 factory dash screen has developed a number of small hairline cracks in it recently... which is letting in a little condensation now and again... anybody else had this and been able to sort it?... I gather the dash comes as complete unit not separate glass/plastic fascia... Can't believe a five year old modern bike has this problem, though i guess as it's not a Honda...

GTR Racer
05-12-2015, 07:17 AM
What has age got to do with you or previous owner(s) creating a crack in the dash :s

JC120
05-12-2015, 07:21 AM
Other Aprilias have the same plastic dash housings. Maybe you can find a used one off a Shiver or a Mana.

rupe w
05-12-2015, 11:27 AM
What has age got to do with you or previous owner(s) creating a crack in the dash :s

- don't understand your point mate - i've not created the cracks - they just appeared...

Proctologist
05-12-2015, 11:37 AM
Doubt that Aprilia sells the plastic housing separately, although I might be wrong..

I'd contact them anyway.. cant hurt to try. A used one off another bike might be the best bet.

Eppy
05-12-2015, 12:08 PM
My dash is cracked in the bottom right corner, been that was for 3000+ miles. They do not sell the plastic separately.

Honda is not much better :rolleyes:... my RC51 dash melted (Honda started putting covers on the later years, and my 1000RR had a melt spot.

flobrandx
05-12-2015, 07:17 PM
Yea and my Panigale has a small burn mark (like an ant under a magnifying glass) from the sun beaming through the windscreen on it.

flobrandx
05-12-2015, 07:19 PM
I also bought my RSV4 with the top right corner cracked/broken and it's been sealed with silicone. Seems ok....but does flair up my OCD.

ChaseU
05-13-2015, 01:18 AM
My dash is cracked in the bottom right corner, been that was for 3000+ miles. They do not sell the plastic separately.

Honda is not much better :rolleyes:... my RC51 dash melted (Honda started putting covers on the later years, and my 1000RR had a melt spot.

+1 The SP1 was notorious for a melted spot atop the gauge cluster but this was rectified on the SP2 when they changed the windscreen.

Is there any chance some owners may be getting some weeping from the brake reservoir that is causing this? Or sloppy brake fluid changes? Brake fluid will do this to plastic.

Wyckedan
05-13-2015, 01:23 AM
Thought about maybe finding a custom dash place and having them fix it? Its just acrylic, hell you could probably cut your own if you felt comfortable taking the dash apart.

Toohomo
05-13-2015, 11:30 AM
Its not replacable (the perspex) its sealed to the plastic.

you need to find a dash from a mana/dorsoduro/shiver/rsv4/tuono v4 and change the fascia, difficult to do with out scratching the dash sides as its siliconed on. Done this a few times.

duc73
05-13-2015, 08:11 PM
My 2011 rsv4r i bought new , the dash has small cracks and top corner is crack to:((((

malindingo
04-07-2018, 04:14 AM
My 2010 factory dash screen has developed a number of small hairline cracks in it recently... which is letting in a little condensation now and again... anybody else had this and been able to sort it?... I gather the dash comes as complete unit not separate glass/plastic fascia... Can't believe a five year old modern bike has this problem, though i guess as it's not a Honda...
#

just collected mine from its 20000km ( 900 euro ) service by the time drove back home a crack has appeared across full dash screen , waiting for response from service dept !!

kruczkowski666
04-07-2018, 06:39 AM
The was guy here from Italy who make them with 3D printer $100 I bought from him 2 years ago after my speedo cracked after seating on sun.the only pain in ass is to separate top cover from bottom,thy use strong sealer between.2 years since i got his cover and put on my 16RF.still holding good.dig little here u find him.only down side took month to get not big deal

The Rider
04-07-2018, 07:46 AM

search the forum for AndroidX he makes replacement plastic fascia's

DarK_SpY
04-07-2018, 10:06 AM
http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?309087-dash-housing

Karko
04-07-2018, 04:14 PM
The dash CAN be opened and the plastic replaced, altho it is not originally ment to be done and aprilia does not sell the plastic dash glass part.
Like someone else mentioned (Toohomo), the sealant is strong and taking apart the top and bottom plastics is a PAIN in the ass, took me and a friend roughly 6 hours to replace the broken dash plastic glass since it was broken and cracks from a crash.
I had to order a used dash from this forum and use the plastic cover from that one.

NOTE: You will end up "scratching" the side of the plastics bottom and top cover a bit, however you can "clean it up" with some sandpaper and a torch or something. And you will not be able to see them after you mount the dash back.

a picture for a bit of reference: http://karko.pingtimeout.net/tuono2/tuono_rsv_projekti_009.jpg

pjm777
04-07-2018, 07:25 PM
In the past I have used the plastic screen from a splash/safety visor cut to shape, looks perfect when fitted.

Gabro
04-07-2018, 11:33 PM
recently sent a crashed APX dash to Androidx to replace the casing, will post pics later in the day, it's back better than new :D

malindingo
04-09-2018, 03:35 AM
just collected my 2014 capo from its 20000km service on route back i noticed cracks have developed across the dash screen , ive contacted the dealer/agent who stated its a known issue 'without error or cause and not their fault ! how common is this , is it a sub standard product ! love to hear of others having similar issues to use as ammunition in the not doubt arguments from them to come ...