PDA

View Full Version : AMA italica racing?

Litre1
06-23-2004, 10:56 PM
Anyone heard any news about Matt Wait and Mike Hale racing in AMA this season on RSV Factories? They were expecting to start racing in June and we are on to the last June race at Brainerd. I haven't heard anything and I'm dying to know. Their website (www.italicaracing.com) is not showing any signs of life, and I haven't read any updates from other sites. I'm dying to see how the 04 RSV stacks up against the other bikes head to head.

Jet City Racer
06-24-2004, 12:17 AM
They should be ready for Laguna next month. I haven't talked to Vic to see how r & d is going, but they should be there, although I am pretty sure they will be down on HP to the others.

Still I wouldn't be surprised to see a top 10 finish if all goes well.

:peace:

clarkie49
06-24-2004, 05:03 PM
top 10?

this is a fully fledged 'Hollywood' race team and they can even get their website working properly :rolleyes:

Jet City Racer
06-24-2004, 05:24 PM
Well.......if they follow the script anyway! :D

Which includes the entire Honda team getting food poisoning, Yates banzaiing into T2 (again) and taking out the rest of the top qualifiers and EBoz's Duc breaks. It could happen.

Come on, one can dream can't he? :rolleyes:

Litre1
06-25-2004, 07:31 AM
Hey Clarkie! Sorry to hear about your "improper landing" last week. Hope it heals quickly. Give us your impressions about the Aprilia versus, say, the 999. We've seen EBoz run away with one at Pikes Peak so we know the twin can do it. I'm not up-to-date on the WERA, CCS, and FUSA series results for the Aprilia and I'm anxious to see it on the track going head-to-head. Do you think they can crack the top 10 by the end of the season?

clarkie49
06-25-2004, 09:24 AM
this is my opinion and no-one else's.

they have a good bike with good riders.

they dont have a great bike or great riders

a great rider on a good bike or a good rider on a great bike 'might' be able to crack the top 10.

i really hope they do well this year and next, but top ten is a stretch. they will be giving up at least 40hp on everyone and they have no testing anywhere - well on the tracks they will be racing at.

2005 will be a better season for the Team - if they last that long - as they will hopefully have some momentum and have some testing data. Eboz has never gone very fast in practice or qualifying (except for pikes peak) until he has fitted a 'Q' tire, in fact at Barber he was only 1/2 a second faster than the Hooters guys until the 'Q' tire came out.

remember this is not a factory effort, this is nothing like the Ducati Corse Team that came over and is running the Ducati Austin Team.

if they do well i will be cheering and screaming just as loud as everyone else on the forum, but you are only as good as your last race, and we will see after Laguna i guess

Aprilia94
06-25-2004, 09:52 AM
You can't figure in an eBoz/Duc result in how twins can or can not be competitive. Their engine and entire bike was always developed to go racing on the world level. The RSVR is not. Our engine is not. On the other hand, all things considered - ever notice that most of us only have to change the oil and filter in our bikes and it's rare they need any engine maintenance at all? Ever notice that's not the case with most Ducati owners? I'm sure that someone is going to shoot back the "I never had any issues with mine" statement here. Keep in mind, I don't necessarily mean engine problems on a Duc, I mean stuff like adjusting the valves, belt issues, etc. Just regular maintenance stuff. On top of that, its rare that there are any serious engine problems with any mille-based engines. I'm sure that's why Aprilia uses it in so many forms...it's as they say "bulletproof". However, I have heard MANY times about true engine problems on the desmo bikes. Bottom line, they are not the same thing. I hate to say it, but the Ducati has a much more potent race engine. However, you better have a SERIOUS budget to even think you are going to build one up to be competitive at the FUSA or AMA Superbike level or higher...and you better expect some failures along the way. Our engines just aren't designed or made for that. About the only similarity is the fact that they are both approximately 1000cc twins. Remember, Aprilia didn't even use their own engine in World Superbike (not that Aprilia actually makes much of anything, really - but you know what I mean). That should tell you something. If Aprilia knows they can't make it win, none of us can either (within the rules).

Aprilia94
06-25-2004, 09:54 AM
I'm still cheering them on, I'm still glad they are taking our bike racing, but I'm also realistic in what to expect. Vic is a great guy and I'm glad he's in it.

Steve / AF1 Racing
06-27-2004, 07:05 PM
I'll be happy if they can just finish the race on the lead lap. The technology in AMA superbike is surprisingly formidable.
After all, survival is the first step towards success.
-Steve

Jet City Racer
06-29-2004, 08:30 PM
Hey Clarkie-

Didn't you say you did 1:28's on box stock demo bike on shagged tires your first day at Laguna???

Gee, that would have put you on the 2nd row for last years Superbike race.

Or was that a typo? :confused:

clarkie49
06-29-2004, 11:45 PM
i thought i typed 1.38's

if not it was a typo, and no that is not bullshit, a good 140hp RSV-R Factory should be able to do 1.28's but the fast guys are doing 1.25's

Jet City Racer
06-30-2004, 12:20 AM
No worries. Sometimes I type with my thumbs too.

I knew you were fast, as you won the Aprilia Cup and can do sub 1:10's on a 125hp twin @PIR.

I actually thought it was a typo too. No bullshit. :D

:peace:

BTW- How's the back feeling? Believe it or not, mine is actually better than it was before I broke it! Something about tearing all the scar tissue from years of MX. Although I don't recommemend our way of "adjustments" :rolleyes:

clarkie49
06-30-2004, 01:08 AM
typo's, i knwo what you mean, someone keeps moving the 'e' key on my keyboard and i keep typing teh ??

back is doing ok, i am back at work 4-5 hours a day, to be honest i think i could race with my brace on to get points if it were that important.....ho hum :D

Jet City Racer
06-30-2004, 06:36 AM
I thought it was some Kiwi slang like a Canadian always saying "eh"? :D

Not to get the thread off topic but.....

I just took my cast off and started exersizing my leg. I got a cramp in my foot a few hours ago and when I straightened it one of the main bones went "POP"!

After two friggin months I am going to schedule surgery today to fix it correctly. I still don't know why they didn't do that May 9th like I suggested????

Anyone want to buy a slightly used Mille? Only ridden occassionally on weekends too.

F@$K, F&*K, F%@K!!!!!!! To give you an idea how pissed I am, it's 4:35 in the morning and I can't even sleep.

Oh well. :mad:

throttle
07-05-2004, 07:01 AM
I like the Mille, but I think this will be just like the Harley effort a few years ago.

montereyrsvr
07-06-2004, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by Aprilia94
You can't figure in an eBoz/Duc result in how twins can or can not be competitive. Their engine and entire bike was always developed to go racing on the world level. The RSVR is not. Our engine is not. On the other hand, all things considered - ever notice that most of us only have to change the oil and filter in our bikes and it's rare they need any engine maintenance at all? Ever notice that's not the case with most Ducati owners? I'm sure that someone is going to shoot back the "I never had any issues with mine" statement here. Keep in mind, I don't necessarily mean engine problems on a Duc, I mean stuff like adjusting the valves, belt issues, etc. Just regular maintenance stuff. On top of that, its rare that there are any serious engine problems with any mille-based engines. I'm sure that's why Aprilia uses it in so many forms...it's as they say "bulletproof". However, I have heard MANY times about true engine problems on the desmo bikes. Bottom line, they are not the same thing. I hate to say it, but the Ducati has a much more potent race engine. However, you better have a SERIOUS budget to even think you are going to build one up to be competitive at the FUSA or AMA Superbike level or higher...and you better expect some failures along the way. Our engines just aren't designed or made for that. About the only similarity is the fact that they are both approximately 1000cc twins. Remember, Aprilia didn't even use their own engine in World Superbike (not that Aprilia actually makes much of anything, really - but you know what I mean). That should tell you something. If Aprilia knows they can't make it win, none of us can either (within the rules).

All this is stuff Aprilia must know, at least they should know. If so, then this is either a start to a competitive return to AMA and/or WSBK racing, or a thinly disguised and shallow marketing gimic to prop up the name in difficult times.

clarkie49
07-07-2004, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by montereyrsvr
If so, then this is either a start to a competitive return to AMA and/or WSBK racing, or a thinly disguised and shallow marketing gimic to prop up the name in difficult times.

Yes :D

twocycler
07-07-2004, 10:13 AM
Aaron,

How is the back holding up? I heard you are building an engine for my friend Steve E in SF. Make it a ripper.

Did anyone read the press release on rrw.com today saying that the Italica guys would be at Laguna to talk about the status of the bike? So, that means they arent racing this weekend? We got started after them (I think), and have now done three test weekends. I feel for Aprilia as a company. I love their product and some of their employees. Unfullfilled promises is not what they need right now...

I really hope the company pulls through.

Rocky Stargel
Team Stargel Yamaha

clarkie49
07-07-2004, 10:53 AM
hey Rocky!

things are good, yeah we shipped my motor out to SteveE as my bike (frame) is all busted up and we are parting it out. His bike is out getting straightened at the moment (SteveE has to stop throwing himself on the ground) and they will have it on the dyno probably next week :D

i did read the riders from Team Italica were going to lead the Aprilia lap around Laguna................. i guess that is what they meant when they said they would be ready for Laguna :p:

I am glad your race program is going well, sorry we couldnt make the Aprilia race team thing happen for you but there were just to many people with different agenda's...

I am currently building up a CBR600RR to see what i can get out of it :rambo: it is a lot less of a headache when someone else (aka HRC) is making parts for a bike and i dont have to develope and build everything from scratch. it wont be a full FX bike but it wont eactly pass AMA supersport rules either, it is more just a project to keep me busy, and besides, i am very curious about exploring other oportunities at the moment if you know what i mean :D

Aprilia94
07-07-2004, 11:37 AM
All this is stuff Aprilia must know, at least they should know. If so, then this is either a start to a competitive return to AMA and/or WSBK racing, or a thinly disguised and shallow marketing gimic to prop up the name in difficult times.

Keep in mind, this isn't Aprilia's team. They've agreed to offer some support, but it's not their deal, not their team, not their money. I wouldn't expect much from Aprilia in this effort...as I don't think the team expects much from them either.

Smoke Eater
07-07-2004, 12:30 PM
What are the odds of Aprilia homologating another round of updated SP's?

They really need to be seen in the superbike events. That's what sells bikes, not excuses for sucking in MotoGP.

Aprilia94
07-07-2004, 06:54 PM
They were never homologated for AMA in the first place, only SBK (World Superbike). Don't expect anything new just for the AMA series, methinks Aprilia can not justify the expense. The only way they would likely do that is if they re-enter World Superbike. Honestly, with the rules favoring Inline Fours now...I don't know why they would really. I think Ducati is only still dominant in World Superbike because all the other Factory Teams backed out.

Berzerker
07-10-2004, 11:15 PM
Here is the latest about the woes of Italica Racing...oh well...

7/9/2004
Lack Of Money: Italica Racing Not Racing At Laguna Seca

Copyright 2004, Roadracing World Publishing, Inc.

Italica Racing, the Aprilia USA-backed AMA Superbike effort announced at Infineon Raceway and slated to make its debut at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, is not racing at the Monterey, California track this weekend due to a lack of funding.

Riders Mike Hale and Matt Wait are at the track to lead two Aprilia-owners-only fan rides.

Wait said the lack of funding was caused by a delayed wire transfer from overseas.

Aprilia is on the brink of financial disaster and is actively seeking investors to bail it out of its money troubles. Ducati Motor Holdings offered to buy the company last week.

Mechanic Jerry Daggett, who was hired by Italica Racing to build its chassis, is at Laguna Seca but working with Attack Kawasaki.

“You can only work so long without getting paid,” said Daggett of his relationship with Italica Racing. “They owe me a substantial amount of money.”

Italica Racing team principals, who Wait said are at Laguna Seca, could not be reached immediately for comment.

clarkie49
07-11-2004, 07:42 AM
what sucks (for Aprilia fans) is that Tom Montana is riding one of the new 999R press bikes, he is not in the top ten but he is on track.

oh well, now it looks like they will only be testing this year and will not actually race until 2005.

so much for all the hoopla about a 'Hollywood' sponsored race team :rolleyes:

Litre1
07-12-2004, 08:26 AM
Bummer. I was on vacation last week and didn't see any hype about it before watching the race. I was bummed to see no aprilias on the grid when the order was listed. Any chance we could parlez the aprilia owner's funding idea with this team? Did anybody get a final tally of $100 pledges if that idea took off? I wouldn't want to dive in head first until they got the big check from Noale, but it'd be worth the mention.

clarkie49
07-12-2004, 08:47 AM
there is no check coming from Italy

this is an Aprilia 'supported' Team, similar to the Blackmans Racing and Pro Italia Racing efforts back in 2001. from what i understand Aprilia USA is providing them bikes, Aprilia SPA is providing them trick parts and technical assistance.

but the money is all coming from Hollywood (stuntman's association etc), they have been parading around in new Hummer H2's and making a big show of it but as yet no one even knows if they have had a bike on track.

Jerry Daggett leaving and complaining about not getting paid is not a good sign, Fasola doesnt work for free either.................

i just hope they dont go the way of Dream Team Ducati, No Limits Suzuki, Empire Racing Suzuki etc etc.

one thing i do want to know is of they have the same stipulation in their contract from Aprilia USA that we and Blackmans had in ours back in 2001. If we did not turn up to an event we had to pay Aprilia USA a penalty of $4500 (you have no idea :rolleyes: ) and if that is the case then they already own $9000 for Brainerd and Laguna and from what i hear they wont be at Mid Ohio.......

what really sucks is that we could have had Chucky and Rocky on the grid at Laguna this weekend if everyone had agreed to form a race Team rather than bitch about who would control it :rolleyes:

ADC
07-12-2004, 09:07 AM
It's all about control-you know that Clarkie. A little paranoia at the top (TM). There is a foreign investor but after 9/11 it is difficult to transfer funds to the US.
Bikes are built except for race glass but will only be tested this year. The "plan" is to race next year but I have my doubts.

twocycler
07-12-2004, 09:14 AM
-Good lord, this man has not intact vertebrae in his body and still has the strength to show me love. Incredible! BTW Aaron, I had a pseudo-Aussie houseguest last night. Refreshing.

The difference from the other race teams that you mentioned is that they all did show up and race.

We will be racing at Mid-Ohio. Thanks for the support. Your a straight shooter. Too bad there arent more like you.

Heal up,

Rocky Stargel
Team Stargel

clarkie49
07-12-2004, 09:32 AM
thanks Rocky :)

sometimes my 'straight shooting' gets me in trouble with the establishment :rolleyes:

Good luck at Mid Ohio, Road Atlanta and VIR........ wow three more races than Team Italica and you guys are doing it by yourself :rambo:

Litre1
07-14-2004, 10:32 AM
Hey Clarkie! Several mille engines have started popping up on eBay, and I was wondering what kind of cost we're looking at for you to do one of your famous rebuilds on one of those. I think it might be nice to have the first Clarkie Falco! Feel free to email or PM me if you'd like.

Thanks.

clarkie49
07-14-2004, 11:25 AM
actually i have already do a falco :D i got 14hp out of the sucker and it only had slip-ons and the EVO airkit and pressure regulator :rambo:

if you ship me a motor it will cost you $1795 (parts and labor) for our Stage 1 kit and $2495 for our Stage 2 kit.

www.seacoastsport.com

and yes David Lewis, for the right price i can even build you one :D

Firebolter
07-14-2004, 11:39 AM
Litre 1, a sleeper Falco....I like that idea!

Litre1
07-14-2004, 02:03 PM
What kind of hp gains over the 14 would you expect with the stage 1? stage 2?

Firebolter, it's only a sleeper if I can ride it faster!!! That part still needs work.

clarkie49
07-14-2004, 02:51 PM
every bike reacts a little differently, a lot depends on the exhaust, airbox, fuel pressure regulator, chip, pciii etc.

we generally quote 8-10% gain for the stage 1 kit and 12-14% gain for the stage 2 kit, a lot will depend on who does the final tuning :)

Pookie
07-28-2004, 07:20 PM
Hey Clarkie,
can you get that 14 out of my RS..Please....

clarkie49
07-28-2004, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Pookie
Hey Clarkie,
can you get that 14 out of my RS..Please....

i could, but you would spend more time jetting it than actually riding it, if someone walked past and farted you would have to account for the warm breeze :D

Jet City Racer
07-28-2004, 08:20 PM
Clarkie49 wrote-
"i could, but you would spend more time jetting it than actually riding it, if someone walked past and farted you would have to account for the warm breeze"

:funnypost :funnypost :funnypost

Now that's funny!

Pookie
07-29-2004, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by Jet City Racer
Clarkie49 wrote-
"i could, but you would spend more time jetting it than actually riding it, if someone walked past and farted you would have to account for the warm breeze"

:funnypost :funnypost :funnypost

Now that's funny!

Not when those danm SV's catch you on the straight after bustin your ass to get by em out back.....Ok, that was pretty funny....

Aprilia94
07-29-2004, 08:38 AM
Pookie - cool avatar: Rainey & Schwantz - 1990

USGP Laguna Seca turn 11 I think?

Pookie
07-29-2004, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Aprilia94
Pookie - cool avatar: Rainey & Schwantz - 1990

USGP Laguna Seca turn 11 I think?

I think so...

http://www.daidegas.it/Video/NEW%20VIDEO/Schwantz%20vs%20Rainey%20Hockenheim%201991.wmv

You might have seen this already. But my gotta get a life ass can't get enough..

Aprilia94
07-29-2004, 01:57 PM
yes...now those were the days...don't get me wrong there were several great eras of GP including the emerging modern era now today. To me, the early '90s were just absolute badass...although they also seem to take away from the legend Mick Doohan. The days when you could very possibly have a race winner in either Rainey, Schwantz, Lawson, Gardner, Doohan, Cadalora, Kocinski, Abe, etc. What a good time that was in my own opinion. Seemed everyone dropped out about the same time Rainey was paralyzed and Doohan had nobody left to compete with and just dominated. Not to take away from Doohan, he's an absolute master of the wicked, evil NSR500 from another planet. I would have just liked to have seen him with some competition in those years. The only one that was capable of beating Doohan at the time was Doohan.

RDBUL
07-29-2004, 06:42 PM
Hey Clarkie49. What would you recomened for my Factory. I have just received news that my arrow pipes are in. I have been reading and the view's are that you are the one that know's how to improve these bike's. Refering to the artilce in the Sept issue of Sport Rider. I am kind of on a budget..:worship:

clarkie49
07-29-2004, 06:46 PM
how much ya wanna spend? :D

the pipes alone will make a big difference, so will an airbox kit - no i wont say which one is the best.

big pistons make mucho power if installed correctly but obviously that will cost some $$$

RDBUL
07-29-2004, 06:59 PM
Clarkie49. I just spoke with my dealer, and he is ordering me the Evoluzione RSVR complete race airbox kit. The only problem is that they do not have the Axone 2000 tool yet. Is it going to be worth putting in the kit if I do not have access to the tool. Also witch chip should I be interested in, and what mapping stage sould I be looking for.:peace:

clarkie49
07-30-2004, 07:45 AM
rather than use a new chip the ECU comes with 2 map already programmed into the bike, the dealer will need to use the Axone to switch from the current 'Map 1' with is for the stock setup, to the 'map 2' which is basically for any aftermarket exhaust system and an airbox kit.

if you install the pipes and airbox kit without changing the map your bike will run a little lean, i know of some owners that have ridden their bike this way for a few weeks without causing any major problems but the bike may have stalling issues and 'hiccup' now and again.

how long until your dealer is expecting the Axone?

RDBUL
07-30-2004, 09:11 AM
Clarkie49. My dealer said that he just ordered it from the factroy, so I guess it is going to be a waiting game. I am hoping that it will not be long. Living in the great white north, I only have 3 good month's left of riding season. Thank's for the advice, If there is any thing else you might think of that would be great. Bye the way, are all the mag's pro Ducati. Out of the artilce in Sport Rider, it was all Ducati. Fitting the Duc with $3300 worth of goodies, copared to $500 worth for the aprilia. Thank's again for your help...:peace:

clarkie49
07-30-2004, 09:36 AM
RDBUL - where in Ontario are you?

you could even come for a ride down to NH and i can change the map for ya! :)

RDBUL
07-30-2004, 10:18 AM
Clarkie49. I live just outside of Toronto, (about an hour). How far of a drive would it be to you. I would have to plan it out, work, wife, & kids. What would be the best time to contact you. :peace:

clarkie49
07-30-2004, 10:49 AM
this is where we are
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?country=US&countryid=US&addtohistory=&searchtab=address&searchtype=address&address=208+rockingham+rd&city=derry&state=nh&zipcode=03038&search=++Search++

but you could also try and contact Jeff at
Detroit Eurocycles, LLC
18301 Nine Mile Rd. - 48021 Eastpointe (MI)
Tel. 586-778-8900 Fax 586-778-1265

they are a great dealership and are a little closer to you than we are :)

RDBUL
07-30-2004, 10:59 AM
Clarkie49. Thanks for the advice. I have already checked into your local in Derry. 930 mile's @ 9 hour's. I will contact either your self or Jeff at the other dealership when I am ready. If I am to make the trip to Derry, I will have to do it when there is a track day around the same time. Thank's again. Looking forward to the site's.:peace: