PDA

View Full Version : another exhaust thread

Kid A
04-23-2015, 10:30 AM
Hey guys, wondering for those that have been to capo group meets or experienced the sound of multiple different exhaust canisters for these bikes, what the quietest set is? Also I'd like to keep heat shields, so quiet and bolting up to stock link pipes hopefully, or link pipes that accept heat shields. Thanks!!

timcrasher
04-23-2015, 10:43 AM
If you want a quiet set of exhausts, surely you need to keep with the OE stock exhausts. All of the aftermarket exhaust are noisier than standard. But, yes some are noisier than others. I had stainless GPR silencers on mine. They were fruity with a nice rumbly v twin sound. With the baffles in they were inoffensive. Big Steve's Leo Vince pipes were a deeper tone when following him. And Falco Jake's Blueflame pipes are a combination of a full chat NASCAR and an extra from Sons of Anarchy:D.
Most of the aftermarket exhausts come with a set of link pipes that normally do away with the heat shields. Because they replace the cats in the link pipes, the pipes run cooler so do not require the shields.
The other option is to fit some cans to the standard link pipes, as a few others have done.

haga lout
04-23-2015, 10:43 AM
Standard are quietest I've staytunes on one nice and not to loud but no heatshealds the other one has grp and is just a bit louder both still have eb killers in

fig
04-23-2015, 11:22 AM
It seems it would be difficult to fit a muffler without a midpipe as there is a slight bend directly in front of the stock muffler.

CaPoFinland
04-23-2015, 11:49 AM
I have fitted Leo Vince cans from a Honda VTR1000 to stock link pipes. Can still use original heat shields but are far from quiet without baffles. I have not tried with baffles in.

GH_services
04-23-2015, 12:42 PM
i once fitted ducati cans on my old capo, it sounded a little deeper but not really what i was after - so i cored them, they were stupidly loud!! soon swapped them for leo vince cans

Kid A
04-23-2015, 03:14 PM
I'm after just a nice sound, but not loud, long trips with passenger planned and that's annoying to be booming along. I'll leave that for the play bikes.

As far as I knew the mk1 bikes didn't have cats but still has heat shields.

The goal is the quietest way to drop the extra weight, add a little efficiency, but retain passenger comfort from heat and too much noise

Maybe that doesn't exist. Too bad I can't hear a set before committing. I know these big twins like to make noise and my rsvr even with dB killers in is still loud, louder than I'd want for 100's of miles a day anyway.

Stanleybobly
04-23-2015, 03:39 PM
if you are after quiete. Oem cans..
All other cans makes too much noise. You can't ride without earplugs.

Drove today the (trade RR) with oem silencer. What a relief. Think i'll swap mine titanium gprs back to oem silencers for a while.

haga lout
04-23-2015, 03:53 PM
My staytunes with cb killers are just right I think nice berble but don't atract a second look from the police

sloth
04-23-2015, 04:11 PM
Remus link pipes will accept the OEM heat shields:

https://farm7.staticflickr.com/6164/6153397514_28957b4a2a.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/anKLGA)IMG_4514 (https://flic.kr/p/anKLGA) by ~Diablo~ (https://www.flickr.com/people/72728657@N00/), on Flickr

But they are louder than OEM, and there's nothing to be done to change that. Not rude loud though. Unless you take the baffles out, then they are quite full on.
All the Caponords came with heat shields on the link pipes, regardless of whether they had a cat in there or not.

Precis
04-23-2015, 04:31 PM
Mrs P decided very quickly that her Remus pipes were way too loud and she put the stock pipes back on; interestingly, her bike was noticeably smoother with the standard pipes and a Catfish map - and remains smoother than my Capo which has Staintunes; they are louder than stockers, but I wouldn't say they are loud enough to need earplugs: I've been stopped by the coppers numerous times, but never been picked up on noise.

BigSteve
04-23-2015, 04:33 PM
One of the benefits of fitting aftermarket pipes is the weight saving... Approximately half the weight of oem exhaust system.

Nito
04-23-2015, 04:41 PM
So are the Leo's quieter than Remus?

I haven't fitted the Remus pipes to mine yet, I kind of like the Capo with the quiet pipes on, keeps it different from the raw Tuono but then there are times I'd like the Capo to be fruitier.

Capoandrew
04-23-2015, 05:09 PM
So are the Leo's quieter than Remus?

That depends if you have the dB killers in or out. The LV's are damn loud without the killers. With db Killers, the Remus are a tad quieter.
The Remus have a "different sound" as well. Hard to explain, except to say they sound not quite as deep.

Kid A
04-23-2015, 09:14 PM
Came across this video and wondering if it sounds about right? Videos are so hard to judge by because cell video sounds crappy to begin with, but anyway this has me curious.

The first vid here of Remus Gran Prix silencers sound pretty subdued and I can still hear the engine noise as much as the exhaust which makes me think this is what I'm after.
video 1 (https://youtu.be/bSXeHVvCt0I)

This second video of Remus hex silencers sounds obnoxious even with the dB inserts in. So I'm wondering if it's a difference in these two silencers sound or recording device pick up, or a combination of the two. Anyway, much much louder than the first video.video 2
(https://youtu.be/iqT0Kd-0F8Q)

Can anyone confirm either of these represent reality? Does the oval/round style Remus sound that quiet life the first video? If so that's what I'm after. Heat shields and lighter weight, would be perfect if that's the case in reality.

Carbon version would be nice because they stay cool to the touch

catfish
04-23-2015, 11:58 PM
Mrs P decided very quickly that her Remus pipes were way too loud and she put the stock pipes back on; interestingly, her bike was noticeably smoother with the standard pipes and a Catfish map - and remains smoother than my Capo which has Staintunes; they are louder than stockers, but I wouldn't say they are loud enough to need earplugs: I've been stopped by the coppers numerous times, but never been picked up on noise.

I'll also vote for the Staintunes with the baffles left in. Makes nice v-twin sound with throttle, but is quieter than wind noise cruising at road speeds. :-) Not cheap, but over 120k miles on mine with no issues.

Catfish ...

JohnG.
04-24-2015, 01:19 AM
Standard are quietest I've staytunes on one nice and not to loud but no heatshealds the other one has grp and is just a bit louder both still have eb killers in

These one bark good... 8 x 10mm holes in each... lately they've mellowed or I've got deaf-er ;)
http://i518.photobucket.com/albums/u350/JG0427/Capoexhaustholes002.jpg (http://s518.photobucket.com/user/JG0427/media/Capoexhaustholes002.jpg.html)

Stanleybobly
04-24-2015, 01:37 AM

Same thing noticed. :plus:

megalopsyxos
04-24-2015, 04:43 AM
On the contrary when I removed remus and KN going back to OEM, I felt lost power and torque in low rpms :confused:

Saffa Gaz
04-24-2015, 07:00 AM
Did the same with my GPR's. Felt like it lost torque and power in the lower revs and made more noise.....(thought I was riding a harley!!!!)

fig
04-24-2015, 08:03 AM
Do they even sell Staintunes for the capo etv1000 anymore?

Precis
04-24-2015, 09:10 AM
Do they even sell Staintunes for the capo etv1000 anymore?

According to http://staintune.com.au/pages/price-and-model-listing-2014 : "All Staintune product is available for sale outside of this web site, it’s possible that your product is not in stock as shown. If you would like up to date stock information Prior to purchase please contact sales@staintune.com.au"

Kid A
04-24-2015, 07:57 PM
Can anyone confirm if you can use the link pipe /exhaust heat shields with the staintunes?

haga lout
04-25-2015, 08:23 AM
Can anyone confirm if you can use the link pipe /exhaust heat shields with the staintunes?

No you can't ive thought of welding a bolt to a jubilee klip x4 and mounting the shelds of the standard pipes

Precis
04-25-2015, 09:13 AM
No you can't ive thought of welding a bolt to a jubilee klip x4 and mounting the shelds of the standard pipes

It's easier to make sure she wears boots...

megalopsyxos
04-25-2015, 02:00 PM
What I confirm is that the shields cannot be fit with Remus.

MrSmith
04-25-2015, 10:16 PM
Staintunes with big bore DB killers were perfect on mine. Just loud enough without hassling the neighbors.
Check the for sale section if anyone's interested in them.

Kid A
04-30-2015, 06:28 AM
Is there enough clearance between the staintune link pipes and the passenger for rests to allow for the stock heat shields to be added if I welded threaded bungs onto them?