PDA

View Full Version : 2000 RS 50 Project

JamieB98
04-06-2015, 07:22 AM
Hello, this is my first post but I guess it's quite important.

I bought a 2000 RS 50 about 9 months ago for 400. It was rusted, had a fair bit of fairing damage and was just quite a dirty bike all round.
It had 24k miles and now has 26k with 12 previous owners.

I wasn't really bothered about doing much with it until now (as I will probably be selling in 3 months time), but I had to replace the piston rings the other day as they were gone. I installed a new piston head and it seems to work properly. The wiring loom is also a mess so I'll tear into that some day soon.

(Pictures will follow)

However, I would appreciate any suggestions on paint (preferably something that wont cost a lot and I could do myself).

Also, I was wondering what my options would be with an exhaust as my current one seems like it's done.. It's rusted and seems to be starting to crack around the compression chamber. I guess I have 3 questions:
1. Does the silencer affect the pressure/backflow of gasses? (Could I fit a new silencer with old pipe or vice versa);
2. What is the best/cheapest exhaust I could get? (I don't want to spend much on it as it will not resell for as much);
and 3. Are there any low cost things I can do to my bike to make it accelerate quicker/ reach a higher top speed?

Thanks in advance,
Jamie.

RS_Patrick
04-08-2015, 01:35 PM
Silencer does affect the back presure a lot, if you for example would fit a Giannelli silencer on a Stock pipe you have less power than with the stock pipe and stock silencer, same thing the other way round.

There are plenty of cheap pipes out there, usualy the coating and material is thinner so they rust faster and crack easier wen mounted incorrectly.

Low Cost? i dont know what you think of as being low cost, bigger carb (19mm?), manifold and adaptor so it fits the airbox, bit stiffer reeds, and a fast pipe should get you a long way though.

JamieB98
04-10-2015, 02:43 AM
Firstly, thanks for the quick reply, I appreciate it. Secondly, what sort of boost in performance would I expect from stiffer reeds, 19mm carb and a new pipe and how much would I expect to pay?

Also, what is the ideal gear ratio on these wee bikes?

RS_Patrick
04-10-2015, 08:41 AM
60MPH should be doable with 13/47 gearing with a Giannelli or Arrow pipe, some 0.25mm reeds (most aftermarket reedcages come with those) and Dellorto 19mm carb kit.

You might also want to check the wear on your cilinder barrel, and if its an Aluminium Gilardoni you can get a nice boost from tuning the exhaust port, if you want to do a proper job on it you would need to make a Port Map of the barrel and see at what hight the intake and exhaust ports are exactly, usualy the booster port is a bit to low and the exhaust port is a bit narrow and much to low on the stock aluminium Gilardoni cilinders, if you can fix that you already got a nice increase in performance for free.

JamieB98
04-10-2015, 05:07 PM
Unfortunately the carb kit seems well out of my price range (at ~150 I just don't think it's worth the small performance boost). I believe my cylinder is stock and it is definitely regular sized bore (measured with digital calipers). I will definitely look into a new chain/sprocket set as mine look rather worn... Also, my pipe is very old and I think an investment in a race pipe would be a good one.

Will 0.25mm reeds sacrifice low end performance for high end?

RS_Patrick
04-11-2015, 01:45 PM
Bigger Carb meanes a good increase in Acceleration.

0.25mm reeds are fine for your bike, wen deristricting these bike i fit 0.25mm reeds.

Look at what cilinder you got, you can easly widen and raise the exhaust port by a few mm to get more performance out of the aluminium gilardoni.

JamieB98
04-11-2015, 02:07 PM
Okay thanks, will adjusting my gearing increase my top speed/or acceleration? Or does it depend on the gearing ratio? If I were to say, go for a 13/46 instead of a 13/47 would it better due to the higher ratio? Or does it all depend on setup? Sorry for the stream of questions, I'm learning slowly haha

RS_Patrick
04-17-2015, 10:28 AM
I would not bother changing the rear sprocket for street use, just changing the front sprocket by 1 tooth has a bigger effect as changing the rear by a couple of tooth.

Basicly the bigger you go up front the more top speed you get at a slight loss of acceleration.

JamieB98
04-17-2015, 03:23 PM
Okay, thank you.