PDA

View Full Version : Where does the 12V socket plug into?

mikesbaron
03-31-2015, 10:01 AM
The previous owner on the 2002 Capo I just purchased, had moved the 12V socket plug from the lower left sidepanel of the bike to a homemade bracket on the handle bar. To do this he simply cut and rewired it all the way to the battery and then grounded on the frame near the front of the gas tank. I am moving it back to it's original location but can't seem to find where on the stock wiring harness it's supposed to plug into. Can you help by telling me where it goes? (I'd rather not hook it straight to the battery again because I've already got so many other accesories now hooked straight to there: GPS, Battery Tender, USB socket...)

Precis
03-31-2015, 07:20 PM
It plugs straight into a socket on the harness/loom.
But it's a largely useless feature and even if it was butchered, I can see why the PO shifted it to the dash - though most of us have simply added an extra 12v socket on the dash and left the OEM one unused, down under your left leg.
Really, the manual warns against using it while riding, it's a cheap, sloppy POS - and if the bike's parked on the sidestand, whatever you plug in there will likely fall out anyway.

mikesbaron
03-31-2015, 08:26 PM
It plugs straight into a socket on the harness/loom.
But it's a largely useless feature and even if it was butchered, I can see why the PO shifted it to the dash - though most of us have simply added an extra 12v socket on the dash and left the OEM one unused, down under your left leg.
Really, the manual warns against using it while riding, it's a cheap, sloppy POS - and if the bike's parked on the sidestand, whatever you plug in there will likely fall out anyway.

I'd really like it there for my passenger to have access to charge phone while riding.
Where exactly on the loom does it hook into?

Tarks
04-01-2015, 07:24 AM
It hooks into the 10amp fuse block left of the hatch plate latch. Joins into the loom about 3inches up from the aux socket location.

Tbh I would simply add a feed direct from the battery with an inline 20amp fuse, ring terminals for the battery and female spade connectors for the aux socket connections. <<< BEST SAFEST CONNECTION OPTION IMO!

A 20amp system will run most aux items safely protecting the system of the bike and aux items.

Precis
04-02-2015, 08:44 AM
I'd really like it there for my passenger to have access to charge phone while riding.
Where exactly on the loom does it hook into?

"...the manual warns against using it while riding.."
It will get in the way of your legs - and you risk losing the charger.
Get your partner - and her phone - organised enough to charge the phone beforehand, or live without it.
As I have a teenager with multiple devices, I have a USB charge port under the seat; whatever she needs can be charged overnight and out of sight.

Tarks
04-02-2015, 09:17 AM
"...the manual warns against using it while riding.."
It will get in the way of your legs - and you risk losing the charger.
Get your partner - and her phone - organised enough to charge the phone beforehand, or live without it.
As I have a teenager with multiple devices, I have a USB charge port under the seat; whatever she needs can be charged overnight and out of sight.

The manual states alot of crap we ignore, I say do what you feel works for you and your partner!