PDA

View Full Version : Aprilla rs 125cc 2002

Danrutter
03-02-2015, 06:17 PM
Just a quick one to introduce myself I'm Dan I've just brought my first 2stroke aprilla and it's amazing but there's a few issues first when I start her up sounds like the starter motor is starting to go or somthing to do with the engine but once started sounds fine also my speedo is not working I've checked the cable and is not snapped so it could be the speedo drive? It's just had a top end rebuild 300kilomtres or less any idea on a cheap way to resolve these problems thanks

Christnic
03-10-2015, 11:09 AM
Hi, the starter motors can fail. My bike have a strange vibration noise when the starter motor was being used. I removed it and split it to find that the little brass bushing that supports the motor shaft had cracked. To be sure that this was the problem, I put a small dab of heavy grease on the bushing and reassembled it. Sure enough, that was the problem. It ran quiet after that. That grease is only a temporary measure though. I ordered a new starter.
If you do remove the starter, i'd advise you to soak the mounting bolts with a penetrating oil or WD40 and let it sit for a day to free them up. If those bolts bind and the head snaps off, it's very difficult to get the remaining stud out due to access. Those little bolts can rust up due to them being on the bottom of the engine and being subject to road grim. Good Luck.