PDA

View Full Version : Strange tyre wear

ditechspain
06-21-2004, 03:53 AM
Fitted a new reat tyre ( Bridgestone) and have noticed
1 It is much flatter profile than the maxxi
2 it runs much hotter which could be connected with below:

Looking at it more closely at the weekend there is a flat developing along the left hand side of the tyre and the rubber looks like it is being scuffed off. Where there is tread it looks like the wear is occurring as the tyre meets the road and the back edge is unmarked. if it was a car I would say the alignment was out but I would have thought that on a two wheeler you would simply go along slightly crabbed. The centre portion of the tread and the right hand side are still perfectly round and normal.

Any ideas?

SR50wner
06-23-2004, 05:29 AM
Have you been riding in circles?

No but seriously.. when this happened to me on my front tyre I just chnged them nd it went away.
Although I noticed it soon after I bought it so it my have been the previous owner?

Different riding styles will cause different wear and therefore different tyre shapes so it may just be how you ride?

But obviously.. if you have the luck I have it is more likely to be the bike.

Is the wheel buckled at all? Is the central mounting nut fully tight?

SR50wner

JRTURBO
06-23-2004, 12:49 PM
Hi there

I would have the alignment of the bike checked, just to be on the safe side, To confirm whether you rear wheel runs in line with the front when travelling in a straight line.

Possible causes for misalignment usaly caused by something bent or a worn mounting bush.

Hope this helps

Joe rubido

loveofpeds
06-23-2004, 04:20 PM
Whilst you guys are on the subject of wheel alignment and mouting bolts etc, well I removed my wheel to spray it, and when I removed it the alan key side of the mounting bolt was completly tucked in, when I replaced the wheel it was sticking out a bit, this really is annoying me because it doesnt feel safe.
Are the alan key heads (the right-hand side of the front wheel) tucked in snuggly on your bikes or does it stick out a bit?
I hope you get what I mean!

ditechspain
06-23-2004, 06:50 PM
I posted this on the non-ditech sr 50 site as I was not getting any response this side, so if anyone else has a comment probably better to post it there.

Thanks to all who replied.

ditechspain
07-05-2004, 08:37 AM
Had the puncture repaired and a new valve put in. I think the following probably explains the problem, but any views welcome.

1 After using instant repair, the valve was not changed. In retrsopect the valve wasblocked and the pressure readings off airlines did not reflect the lack of pressure in the tyre, only the pressure in the airline.
2n the tyre was underinflated, hence the strange profile.
3 as it was underinflated the outside of the tyre was in contact with the road at the same time as the centre. They should have a differenct circumference when fully inflated so there
was a conflict between teh two parts of teh tread, and the outer layer was beign worn away first as I think it is softer. only one side as I lean to the left.

Now it is repaired and fully inflated it lloks normal, and the site of teh pucnture is not now in contact with the road!!

loveofpeds
07-07-2004, 04:11 PM
Great, I suppose an important part of looking after any vehicle is to check the tyre pressures reguarly. When I first bought my scooter, it was going very slow, and I noticed a slight case of tyre wear on it, I couldnt figure it out for a fair while, and then (after reading through the manual thoughrouly) I decided to check my tire pressure, they were like 10 psi below safety requirements, so I gave them a decent pump up to the correct amount, and then suddenly my scooter increased speed by about 6mph, and tyre wear decreased.

So reguarly check your tyre pressures!

phidauex
07-11-2004, 06:46 PM
I check tire pressure every other fillup. Its one of the biggest (and most easily preventable) causes of poor handling, low power, poor fuel economy, and high tire wear there is.

I just carry a little gauge in the box over the battery and every other time I put gas in it I just wheel over to the air pump and take a few minutes to check pressures and fill them up to the right level. Hardly takes any time at all, and I always know my tires are working their best.

peace,
sam

DVD Plaza
07-11-2004, 11:43 PM
The petrol stations around me have computerised air stations - simply punch in the PSI you want, push the hose onto your valve, it inflates/deflates automatically, and then beeps/flashes at you when ready!