PDA

View Full Version : Help Dorsoduro bad engine rattling

jamcam91
12-01-2014, 06:43 AM
Hi there,

Ive recently taken ownership of a 2011 DD1200 (has 13000kms on it, owned it since 11500) and im getting a metal on metal sounding rattle and vibration between 4000 and 5000 rpm. It happens 100% of the time under hard accelaration and about 75% of the time under lighter accelaration and seems to be worse if im leaned over. It seems to also come with a slight loss of power as well but the bike continues to pull once you get past 5000rpm and the vibration and rattle stops. I know it could be a few things but its making the bike really unenjoyable to ride as I feel like im wrecking it. Nevertheless it seems to be getting worse so if anyone can shed some light or has experienced a similar issue to which I can point a mechanic in the same direction I would appreciate any help.

Im thinking loose cam chains perhaps or maybe even a valve timing issue :/

Thanks

Conorian
12-02-2014, 04:06 AM
movie with sound pls

xactoman
12-02-2014, 09:57 AM
I'm no Apriia mechanic, but it would seem that a noise/vibration at a specific RPM would indicate some sort of bearing/bushing problem. I guess you could check the water pump to start, but I wouldn't rule out some sort of internal slop. I don't think this engine has a counterbalancer as it is a 90 twin, so you could rule that out. Maybe it is ignition and one cylinder is dead for a bit, could check to see if all the plugs are active. 13k miles isn't really that much, so some mechanical failure would seem suspect.

trainman
12-02-2014, 04:27 PM
might be worth an oil pressure test in case you have a blockage or pump issue

jamcam91
01-11-2015, 06:32 AM
Sorted, took the air filter out for the first time since owning the bike to find it was about 60% blocked by some sort of insect nest mud or something that had got in there. Gave it a wash (DNA cotton filter) and it runs 100% better and kicks a lot more ass now.