PDA

View Full Version : Pain in the ass

Locky
11-11-2014, 02:20 PM
Has anyone tried those seat pads that strap on?I see a few different types for sale made from gel,foam,wool and combos of same.I'm looking for something to make my gel seat a bit more comfortable.I'm figuring something under a $100.00 which leaves off the the custom seat.I already have 3 seats for my DD,the stock it came with,a gel from AF1 and a DD750 seat I got of ebay.Between the 3 seats 6 or 7 pairs of gloves,5 helmets,3 bike jackets,2 pairs of bike boots and a couple of boxes full of parts I've bought and never used for other bikes it's getting hard to justify spending anything that shows up on our statements without getting the"what's wrong with the 3 you already have" lecture.So a seat pad seems like the way to solve a couple of pains in my ass while I figure out how I'm going to get the custom wheels I want without having to cook my own meals and hide in the garage.It's like walking a tight rope in a war zone,it's all about balance and keeping the peace.After 34 years I'm a veteran.

geoffa
11-12-2014, 01:49 AM
Gel cycling shorts. I'm not kidding. I've worn these things for years and they DO make a difference. I even wear them under race leathers. Feels slightly bulky at first but you do get used to it and hey your wife might think your getting all kinky for her benefit. Or not. You'll have to play that one by ear!

Locky
11-12-2014, 04:38 AM
LOL The first time you mentioned this I thought you where joking but I think I'm going to have to check into this.As far as the wife goes there's no way she can say I already have 3 pair what do I need another for?Thanks

geoffa
11-12-2014, 05:31 AM
Locky. Probably should have mentioned you DON'T have to shave your legs.

xactoman
11-12-2014, 09:54 AM
I have to agree with Geoffa. As a bicyclist, gel shorts are about the best thing you can do to keep your ass comfortable. Ass discomfort whether on a bike or a motorcycle is usually from too much pressure on soft tissue. Cyclist overcome this by using hard saddles that only put pressure on the sit bones. The gel shorts give just the right amount of padding under the sit bones and give tensioned support to the butt muscles. The other thing you can do is exercises to keep your butt firm. Flabby asses get sore faster ;)

Tdawg
11-12-2014, 10:34 AM
Had a dd750. Stock seat was terrible and on slightly better with padded shorts. The factory gel seat is improved but you'll like still want padded shorts. I ended up paying over $500 to customize the stock seat, although I wanted to try a renazco seat. The air hawk seams interesting but may limit movement in the saddle . Others have used the enduro size fur (sheep skin)seat cover which also covers the passenger seat.

If you have tools and patience YouTube gel pad seat installation, there's a petty good luimoto video. Plus you and add gel for the passenger. Not a huge risk given you have 3 seats

Luimoto sells a DD seat cover and gel packs. See vids on site
http://www.luimoto.com/?p=397

trainman
11-12-2014, 02:36 PM
have used the air hawk on a KTM and the DD, fiddle to fit but work ok if you only inflate the minimum to give your ass a good ride, too much and its like being sat on jelly, need to get right size too else too big and it pushes your legs open,

they don't like water for too long either, you can soon have your own private pool!

if you ride such that you grip the tank and are one with man and machine, then its probably not for you

dfriz
11-12-2014, 04:37 PM
Everytime i ride a street or dirt bike i wear padded bicycle shorts

gregga
11-13-2014, 05:04 PM
Air Hawk. The small one (think KLR when searching their site I think). Put far less air in it than you're tempted to use. I also own multiple seats (waste of beer money) and cycle shorts. Likely some fancier gel filled ones than I have but my old school ones are only a minor help.

rst1k
11-20-2014, 10:52 AM
I have ridden the hell out of my bike in the past couple months and I think the seat broke in, or my ass broke to the seat. I was looking at new seats, but my butt feels okay now since I ride so much.