PDA

View Full Version : 2011MY: White smoke on start up

carlo_sg
10-31-2014, 03:04 AM
Hi,

I have a 2011MY 1200 with 5900km and I just noticed white smoke on start up.
The bike was last serviced on 5000km (July 2014)
The bike has not been standing. It was ridden 300km the day before.
It is definitely smoke and not water vapour.
The smoke appears after idling for about 2-3 minutes or after a very light rev (2000rpm). It predominately comes out the left hand pipe –which is odd because the stock exhaust goes 2-1-2.
There is no smoke while riding and no smoke once the bike is warm and I give it some revs.
I checked under the oil filler cap and there is no “mayo”. I do not notice any obvious leaks either.

Any ideas?

zviadi
10-31-2014, 05:37 AM
Look in airbox - perhaps it has a lot of oil getting there from the system crankcase ventilation.
If you frequently travel with high speed (above 6000 rpm) - this could be.

carlo_sg
10-31-2014, 06:04 AM
Thanks, will definitely check that. I loaned the bike to a friend of mine who is an ex-racer - he probably rode it harder than I normally would/could

trainman
10-31-2014, 01:54 PM
check the oil level, your mate may have added some if he thrashed it!

carlo_sg
10-31-2014, 04:06 PM
Had the bike checked out by the agents and they reckon it is the valve guide...
Apparently they have had another bike with the same issue.

zviadi
11-01-2014, 01:16 AM
I am very actively chase on DD1200 - the oil level was not significantly goes out. Between oil changes every 4-5 thousand kilometers I do not add.
In airbox it goes through the crankcase ventilation system. There may be a puddle of oil (about 20 grams) and the oil begins to flow from airbox on the left shoe. I struggled with this problem, but to overcome it and could not. I even did a new aluminium oil catcher with internal labyrinth is still the crankcase pressure it overcomes and the oil fills airbox.
Eventually, I brought up the transparent tube drain oil from airbox out. It made the cap. Ride a day - took the cap and leaked oil. At least it will not float in airbox...

And also check the valve clearances. If the valve is clamped when the warming will be very smoke water vapor mixed with gasoline.

fredaroony
11-02-2014, 03:17 PM
If it's white smoke it's most likely to be condensation. Both my bikes get it as it's quite cool in the garage.

zviadi
11-03-2014, 02:44 AM
In first post:

It is definitely smoke and not water vapour.

carlo_sg
11-03-2014, 03:22 AM
Yip, as I said, not water vapour. I'm in South Africa and it is quite hot here so definitely not water vapour. Rather a choking cloud of white/blue-ish smoke.

From chatting to a mechanic he said there is a degree of condensation in the pipe and when the valve stem seals/guides are gone, oil leaks into the chamber when the bike is standing.
At start up the burnt oil mixes with water vapour and creates a white/blue smoke.

zviadi
11-03-2014, 05:56 AM
I still call to check airbox. This is the simplest thing you can do. I don't think you will lose the warranty.
White smoke is getting antifreeze into the combustion chamber. White-blue smoke is burning oil.
If airboxes dry - see the valve. In this bike they must be checked for the first time 1000 km and then every 20000 km.

As if to bring the hand to the exhaust pipe and hold it for some time - there are traces of oil or coolant? There is a smell of oil or coolant from the exhaust?

zviadi
11-03-2014, 06:04 AM
The service manager acknowledged it is smoke and not vapour and said to me that a smoking bike is normal!

No, this is not normal at this air temperature. Service Manager says nonsense.

trainman
11-03-2014, 12:27 PM
simple question, is the bike using oil or water? mine uses nothing, if its burning one or t'other it will drop levels?

carlo_sg
11-05-2014, 03:44 AM
simplequestion, is the bike using oil or water? mine uses nothing, if its burning oneor t'other it will drop levels?

I have not ridden the bike since I noticed the problem, other than to return it to the dealer (35km). So no I have not noticed it using oil or water.