PDA

View Full Version : New Dorso'12 Owner in NW WA

rst1k
10-20-2014, 09:34 AM
Hello everyone, I have been on this forum plenty as a prior Futura owner. I have been trying to buy a Dorsoduro for quite some time as most of you have seen my question posts about if the dorso is right for me. Members have responded with many reasons why to get it, and reasonable cause not to get it. I decided that a streetfighter/maximoto class bike is right for me. I tried the Ducati Hypermotard and it was a blast, but it was missing something. I went to my local Aprilia dealership and test rode a new DD750, which was lovely and buckets of fun, but that bike was missing something as well. I found the current bike I own about 250 miles away from me so I drove my happy butt out there and test rode this bad ass bike. There's nothing like coming out of a corner on one wheel ON A TEST RIDE!!! I was completely confident in this motorcycle after 10 miles that I wanted to push it a bit. To this date I have only had 3 bikes scare the poop out of me out of pure grunt and acceleration... On my test ride, this one scared me pretty good. The sheer rush of forward movement demands you to grip the tank and hold on for life while twisting even farther. 3rd gear full throttle and hit a bump in the road? Wheelie. 1st/2nd gear wristy twisty? Wheelie. A little too quick on the clutch disengage? Wheelie. Coming a little too quick into a corner with terrible entry speed? Back that shit in! Care about tire longevity? Too bad! Wheelie this bike, back that ass in, wheelie a bit more and ride this thing like an idiot, ON CLOSED COURSES! Holy hell, I will kill myself if I ask all this bike can do on the road. This upcoming track season you will find me at The Ridge Raceway in Kent, WA. But on another note this bike isnt just about how fast it goes, what the 0-100 time is, what the top speed is. I bought this bike as my fun weekender, but also my daily commuter as long as it doesnt snow/ice or thunderstorms. As for the commuting part (I have done nearly 1000 miles so far), its not too bad. The seat takes getting used to. I find myself wiggling around a bit to reduce pressure, sitting farther back from time to time. Sometimes I stand up to give my butt a break. People say the gel seat will help out, but honestly as long as you dont do over 120 miles in one sitting you should be okay. The tank range is no good, as all of you know but there are plenty of gas stations around here that it doesnt bother me. But here are some pictures for you guys to oogle at. If there are any modifications that must be done to this bike to ensure it's absolutely reliable, enhances rideability, etc. please let me know and I will get that done with instructions how to do it on youtube as well as pictures and descriptions of how I did it. For this upcoming track season I will post my track days for everyone to view :) I'm also starting up my motovlogging soon, building up some footage currently but I will post here for you guys to see my youtube URL. Good to be part of this community, If anyone is in my area lets talk and go do some things!

gregga
10-20-2014, 12:07 PM
Welcome to the Dorso 1200 NW family. I assume you're the one from Stanwood that I spoke to about buying mine? Congrats on your purchase either way. I still think about the Super Duke R or the Tuono as my next bike but I'm honestly pretty "simulated" by the Dorso and business has me pretty buried with my head down right now.. Holler at me when the weather looks good and we'll get out for a ride! BTW... I bought the gel seat and don't find it to be much of a difference. Gregg

Locky
10-20-2014, 03:52 PM
Congratulations it looks great in black.I put one of AF1's 15 tooth front sprockets and highly recommend and GPR Furore cans great bang for your dollars straight from the DD1200s home country.With the GPR
exhaust you get a great product thats plug n play no messing with fuel maps,sounds great,looks great,loose lbs of weight as a real bonus I didn't expect with the stock cans gone the inside of your thighs
don't get the BBQ treatment in traffic,a lot more room for for air flow I guess.The 15 tooth made the bike more fun out of the hole and at low speeds.I also added a fat duc so it could run a bit richer than stock.The gearing in high and the fuelling lean to pass the EPA .The bike runs like a charm and I've had no fuelling problems.I got the GPR off ebay the rest from AF1....Good luck

rst1k
10-21-2014, 10:00 AM
Not sure if I was talking with you about purchasing your bike. I recently moved to Tulalip/Marysville area, just havent updated the profile in a while. I'll PM you guys to get contact info so we can get together on a nice day, if that ever happens now that its Fall in WA bahaha...... I cry every year it hits this time.... I still ride, but it's never the same as an ultra cold day, or 60+ and dry.

EDIT: Also, I have been looking for something to raise my wheels off the ground. No luck on ebay yet. AF doesnt carry paddock stands/wheel stands. I found ABBA skylifts, but those are 800... I can make my own stand, but I would like a design to go off of instead of just making something. If i can buy it I would prefer it. Any suggestions? Will any rear stand work if I make converting hooks, same with the front? Thanks

xactoman
10-21-2014, 08:52 PM
If you are looking for stands check out t-Rex racing. (Google search) They make great, durable stands that are really affordable. Had them for my triumph and was really impressed.

gregga
10-22-2014, 06:40 PM
Just go see my buddy Parker that manages Cycle Gear in Lynnwood. Truly a customer service guy and a good riding buddy. They've had some great deals lately. Can't remember the brand I bought but I spent plenty. He's got some better values that are engineered just fine.

markwoodlief
02-19-2016, 11:15 AM
you're up in my neck of the woods... ;).. although I have the little brother dorso 750, we should moto sometime. I'm off of Starbird Road.. exit 218

RATMOUL
02-20-2016, 05:16 AM
Hi. I have a 2011 dd 1200 and live in BC Canada near the border and do most of my riding in the pacific NW. Perhaps a DD reunion Mt. Baker run would be in order once the weather breaks?

markwoodlief
02-20-2016, 11:02 AM
Hi. I have a 2011 dd 1200 and live in BC Canada near the border and do most of my riding in the pacific NW. Perhaps a DD reunion Mt. Baker run would be in order once the weather breaks?

love that trip up to Artist Point!! Count me in :cheers: