PDA

View Full Version : '08 Factory - should I?

petefix
10-07-2014, 04:52 AM
Will also post this under the Gen1 Tuono forum

I have a possible lead on a 2008 Tuono Factory that could be coming up for sale - have been told by an independent person that the bike is low milage & in great condition. I rode one of these when they were new (demo day at a dealer) - very impressive but at the time I was not interested in the Tuono (especially at the Factory price!). Only 10 of these were sold in Oz (?) & rarely come up for sale.

I have an '03 Tuono (bought approx 18 months ago) which is I think is great - have modded collector & Gabro F255 chip, Oz wheels, Ohlins shock, gold-valve forks. Have been toying with the idea of finding & fitting an Ohlins radial front end - just because. To me this is a real 'do every thing' bike - touring, scratching, commuting, getting milk from the shop...

IF the Factory option becomes a reality I would sell the '03 T plus my D675 track bike (hardly tracking these days - life keeps getting in the way) & probably have to add some $$ from savings. Would most likely split the good stuff from the T & sell separately

So, the question is - would you do it? What pros/cons can you think of?

Pros to me would be later model/low mileage; full Ohlins suspension & radial brake package; exclusivity.
Cons - cost? Change in engine character?

Thoughts / input appreciated :)

2nd Childhood
10-07-2014, 07:46 AM
Will also post this under the Gen1 Tuono forum

I have a possible lead on a 2008 Tuono Factory that could be coming up for sale - have been told by an independent person that the bike is low milage & in great condition. I rode one of these when they were new (demo day at a dealer) - very impressive but at the time I was not interested in the Tuono (especially at the Factory price!). Only 10 of these were sold in Oz (?) & rarely come up for sale.

I have an '03 Tuono (bought approx 18 months ago) which is I think is great - have modded collector & Gabro F255 chip, Oz wheels, Ohlins shock, gold-valve forks. Have been toying with the idea of finding & fitting an Ohlins radial front end - just because. To me this is a real 'do every thing' bike - touring, scratching, commuting, getting milk from the shop...

IF the Factory option becomes a reality I would sell the '03 T plus my D675 track bike (hardly tracking these days - life keeps getting in the way) & probably have to add some $$ from savings. Would most likely split the good stuff from the T & sell separately

So, the question is - would you do it? What pros/cons can you think of?

Pros to me would be later model/low mileage; full Ohlins suspension & radial brake package; exclusivity.
Cons - cost? Change in engine character?

Thoughts / input appreciated :)

If the number$ make sense, I'd do it in a heartbeat. When I was looking for a T, I really wanted a Gen 2 Factory but couldn't justify the additional cost that everyone was asking, so I bought a "regular" one. But almost every day I scan the various forums, bike selling sites, etc. with an eye for a Factory model. If one comes up anywhere near where I live that I can get at a reasonable price, I'll buy it and sell my '08 T and '07 FZ6. Having said all that, I'd be making the upgrade strictly for looks. My pathetic riding skills would take zero advantage of the superior performance of the Factory.

petefix
10-07-2014, 08:09 AM
Im not sure of the price quoted in '08, but I think the dealer was talking around A$27K for the Factory? Again, dont know the list price for standard T back then...

I agree with your comments - I very much doubt I would be quicker on the Factory & on the road it is academic - the decision would be to satisfy want, not a need :)

No idea what the asking price would be - but I could maybe convince my 'better half' that reducing the fleet from 5 to 4 was a sound financial decision...

cruppelt
10-07-2014, 11:00 AM
Im not sure of the price quoted in '08, but I think the dealer was talking around A$27K for the Factory?

The MSRP for a 2008 Tuono Factory here was US$16,999. Lot's of places virtually gave them away as new leftovers in 2010 and especially in 2011 based on a special that Aprilia NA ran that year; if I remember right it was under $10k. I wish I would have jumped on that band-wagon at the time!

bloodnutt
10-07-2014, 09:41 PM
The differences between the two bikes are the suspension, wheels and gold anodized frame.
The only major problem I have had with my 07 is the stator which I think is now sorted.
Go for it Pete. You won't be disappointed.

And you'll look better on a Gen 2.

SolexFWD
10-08-2014, 03:25 AM
The recommended retail for 2008 R was AUD $19,000 according to Redbook. If you get an R you will want to do all the things to it so it behaves like a Factory. If you like the gold it should be an easy choice. I have a bit of trouble with it myself, but have bought an Ohlins rear shock, Ohlins piston kit and would like some forged wheels, so there you go.

I know someone who has a Factory and he enjoys using his sort of "smug" look.

2008 R

BigMeowski
10-08-2014, 10:16 AM
A Factory will really mean to most to you if you intend on tracking the thing ALOT. However, if thats the only one really available I say go for it! However, in the 2 years ive had my 1000R T. If I had the choice of a vanilla Factory without the necessary exhaust, map 2 mods and dynotuning and a 1000 R with all the fuel mapping sorted and a decent rear shock. The latter would hands down be the better choice. Food for thought if you are in a waiting game for a good T.

petefix
10-08-2014, 05:42 PM
I already have a good Gen 1 T - Ohlins shock / Oz wheels / modded collector & Gabro chip. I was originally planning on a Gen 2 T but when my current T came up for sale it was too good to ignore - right bike/place/time.

Very happy with what I have now, but certainly considering the Gen2 Factory if it becomes available..

Leone
10-08-2014, 07:49 PM
I love my '07, the chassis and suspension is phenomenal. It does what you ask almost effortlessly, no chance of me reaching its limits on the street... at least if I want to stay on this side of the ground. The Ohlins is very good, I imagine it would need tweaking for serious track use, but it's more than adequate for me. The small front fairing is very well designed - surprised me how well it works, I've had NO problem with wind blast on long trips, and if you tuck down a bit it breaks the chill when necessary.

Obviously you already know about exhaust and tweaking the mapping etc, this made a *massive* practical difference in my case and solidified it as a keeper.

As for negatives, there are few. I think it could use more oomph, especially where I'm at (4500ft). I suppose a 1060 kit might sort that... :P

Wish I could compare with a well-sorted gen 1, unfortunately I've yet to ride one.

twistyrider
10-11-2014, 06:21 AM
I bought a brand new 2009 T and then the dealer stopped carrying Aprilia. Then I found out about the Factory model. There is no way to build up a regular T to Factory spec for the difference in price the two sell for. The wheels alone are more than the difference. I ended up selling my T when I found a 2009 Factory. Very, very pleased with my choice. Much better suspension (especially when I invested an extra $200 to get a stiffer rear spring), the wheels make a nice difference in acceleration and turn-in (at least to me, I can feel the difference in the lighter forged wheels). The Factory feels peppier. In every magazine test report I read on the T and the Factory, the Factory was certainly lighter by about 15 pounds (probably the wheels) and they made a few more horsepower. Not sure why that's the case, but the test report dyno runs seemed to show the Factory with more horsepower.

bloodnutt
10-12-2014, 08:02 PM
I spent the money on forged wheels and agree that they do make a big difference.

mrcarbon
10-18-2014, 08:42 PM
Hey Gang, I am looking at an 07 Factory. How many were imported for the range of model years ? Any real difference between the years ? I loved my Futura and regret selling it.

catch2otwo
10-20-2014, 04:22 PM
If it was me, i would sell the triumph, buy the radial ohlins front you want, and send the left over money into my savings. Your first gen sounds nicely set up. I dont think you'll see much of a difference between that and the second gen especially since your not tracking it. For me, its not enough bike to justify the price difference.

buckwheat
10-20-2014, 08:56 PM
Let's not forget that the Factory also has the adjustable Ohlins steering damper. A valuable upgrade IMHO.

401Gremlin
10-23-2014, 06:45 PM
You can't add the premium factory extras on a standard Tuono for the price difference of just buying one up front. I know what you mean when you say it's more of a want than a need. The way I look at a situation such as this is, I wouldn't want to spend a bunch of money on "x" and not be 100% happy with it. In other words, if you don't you will always be saying to yourself " I should of".

SolexFWD
10-23-2014, 07:08 PM
Is this it? 2007 42,600km. The dash has been changed, so milage explained in description. Check engine number, is likely to be pre rotor upgrade.

I do like the belly pan on a factory!

http://www.bikesales.com.au/bikes?Make=Aprilia&Model=Tuono1000R+Factory&Price_Min=0&Price_Max=&State=&SiloType=all&BikeAll=

mrcarbon
10-23-2014, 09:54 PM
I am soooo excited. I just bought a 2007 TUONO FACTORY. I should have it in another week. Already has Aftermarket slip-ons and Map 2 installed. I will check the brown connector to insure it is ok then have my first ride ! Let me know if there are any other items needing immediate attention. I was told there are no outstanding recalls or notices on the bike up until now. I'll post up some pics once I have her safely home...

skytzo
10-24-2014, 05:23 AM
I do like the belly pan on a factory!

Sorry for the thread jack, but does anyone know of a source for the Factory belly pan? I'd love to put one on mine since not only does it look cool, it would look cool on mine which already has a Factory lion tank that the dealer replaced the fluo red tank with for the original owner after it swelled. The belly pan would really help with that Factory wannabe look. :lol:

g00gl3it
10-24-2014, 11:26 PM
Sorry for the thread jack, but does anyone know of a source for the Factory belly pan? I'd love to put one on mine since not only does it look cool, it would look cool on mine which already has a Factory lion tank that the dealer replaced the fluo red tank with for the original owner after it swelled. The belly pan would really help with that Factory wannabe look. :lol:

Interested as well... anyone know???

Keith B
10-25-2014, 05:33 AM
Let's not forget that the Factory also has the adjustable Ohlins steering damper. A valuable upgrade IMHO.

I think you will find they came with the standard Sach damper.

As for Factory bellypans,they are now rare as hens teeth.I think Kamna in Germany may still do them.I was lucky to find a new/old stock item on ebay,...not cheap though!!!

MSS do them in fibre glass.
http://www.superbikeverkleidungen.de/html/tu_06-07_epoxi.html

skytzo
10-25-2014, 01:40 PM
MSS do them in fibre glass.
http://www.superbikeverkleidungen.de/html/tu_06-07_epoxi.html

Nice! So, approximately $300 USD. Wonder if they ship to the USA...

petefix
11-01-2014, 05:52 PM
Thanks for all the feedback & suggestions. I have heard no more about the Factory T so am assuming it is not happening. I followed the link for the T on bikesales but must have been too late - nothing there now. Im not fussed as it has saved me from having to make the decision! I will now look at chasing up some 4-pad calipers / radial master / decent rotors for the Gen1, & maybe in the future look at Ohlins kit for the forks - no rush :)

skytzo
11-02-2014, 08:45 AM
There was a genuine Factory bellypan on eBay this week, auction ended at $519. A little rich for my blood right now....I'd rather put that kind of coin towards an exhaust.

jaybirdjon
11-02-2014, 02:27 PM
http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?178139-AF1-Racing-Showroom-Inventory-Austin-and-New-Braunfels

2009 Aprilia Tuono Factory, 21k miles, looks brand new, cleanest one ever seen, lots of upgrades, $7999

petefix
11-20-2014, 07:10 PM
Nice price on that 09 Factory T, but just a little far from Adelaide or Perth (Australia)!

I have made contact with the owner of the Factory - he is not sure he wants to sell, & Im not sure I want to buy - will be meeting up & having a look sometime next week. No pressure from either of us, so a good situation. Time will tell...

2nd Childhood
11-20-2014, 09:33 PM
If you ride it, you'll want to buy it, that's pretty much a lock. :peace:

petefix
01-04-2015, 12:19 AM
Well, had a look at the Factory T a month or so ago - had a bit of a think & decided that the difference in performance was not worth the difference in $$ - I am very happy with my modified Gen1 T.

If anyone in Oz is looking for a Factory T, it is now on Bikesales australia - he has listed it @ $14800.

Thanks again for all the input & advice :)