PDA

View Full Version : Touring capabilities of a mega supermoto...

Falco_1000
09-24-2014, 06:31 AM
Had the chance to compare a Caponord 1200 with a Dorsoduro 1200 and was
amazed on how much its the same bike. I am only mentioning this since the
Dorso is designed for completely different use and all in all costs half what the Capo
costs.

I wonder if it would be possible to use components of a Caponord on a Droso
and convert it to a more touring orientation. Has there been anyone else with
similar thoughts.

xactoman
09-24-2014, 08:12 AM
I have had the same thoughts too. Knowing what we do about modern manufacturing it would stand to reason that the Dorso was made as a test bed for the motor and chassis. It would also make sense from a spare parts stand-point that the bikes be common as it would increase the amount of users and cut down on the number of unique parts to stock for each bike. In the end, it would cost Aprilia considerably less to just bolt on a new tank, fairing and tail to an already great bike (dorso) and have a new option. That said, it would probably cost a fortune as an end user to swap out new parts to make a tourer. I suppose if you found a scrapped Capo and stripped it that could work, but with so few of these bikes on the road, it would be unlikely that someone would be able to do this experiment.

trainman
09-24-2014, 09:48 AM
I think it could have been so much more of a bike, my indie dealer has stopped selling Aprilia and the DD's he only sold a few in 4 years. I think its seen as not a balls out SM style bike and not a sports tourer like an SMT from KTM, its somewhere half way. If tank, seat and clutch were sorted I could see myself keeping this type of bike forever, as it is one day I will want to tour and comfort in my old age will be key.

Blue Catalina
11-21-2014, 09:20 AM
The devil's in the details perhaps - you have active rear suspension on the Capo which one of it's strongest features. The cost of one of the units (plus possibly a modified wiring loom to go with it) would no doubt be terrifying. I was studying one this week and wondered about the seat possibly fitting onto my DD, however my eyes then roved over the different dash, switches etc. so making a close copy wouldn't really be feasible. I then considered the other points that do need attention - fuel tank, heavy clutch, inability to find neutral, sidestand... Having said all that, the DD's the looker of the pair.:lover:

Locky
11-27-2014, 10:40 AM
I wasn't surprised to see the Caponord since that style of bike is so popular in Europe and modular manufacturing makes sense.The frame is the same on the Shiver also and there's some hints of a 1200 Shiver on some of the Italian sites.Even with how rare the DD1200 is compared to some other bikes you see gas tanks,seats and various other parts on ebay.Having owned and built 3 street fighters in the last 12 years I would say from my experience that if their on the market and being ridden your going to find parts on ebay from ones that have been wadded up on there.Building a Sport Tourer shouldn't be any different from building a street fighter.You make a plan,gather the parts build your bike and ride it.Or you start it leave it sit in your garage for years then sell it.For me the work on one never seemed to end,there was always something else I wanted to do it.If you have the time to do it though people turn some amazing bikes out from backyard garages.My sport touring needs are what I can get in my tail bag.....
When they built the DD1200 they built the kind of bike I wanted but I keep looking on ebay for Shiver parts hmmmm a 1200 Shiver gives me the chills...pun intended...267985

dfriz
12-01-2014, 08:37 PM
Hey locky what tail bag are you using?

Locky
12-01-2014, 11:31 PM
It's a Nelson-Rigg Sport CL-1060 easy to install and so far works great.....

fredaroony
12-02-2014, 02:16 PM
The devil's in the details perhaps - you have active rear suspension on the Capo which one of it's strongest features. The cost of one of the units (plus possibly a modified wiring loom to go with it) would no doubt be terrifying. I was studying one this week and wondered about the seat possibly fitting onto my DD, however my eyes then roved over the different dash, switches etc. so making a close copy wouldn't really be feasible. I then considered the other points that do need attention - fuel tank, heavy clutch, inability to find neutral, sidestand... Having said all that, the DD's the looker of the pair.:lover:

Would be super expensive as the Capo has a dedicated ECU just for the suspension too. Used Capo's arent holding their value well so you might be better off picking up a secondhand one cheap.

Dealers here are having a hard time selling their ex demos or even 2013 floor stock at a very discounted price.

Locky
12-03-2014, 11:15 AM
If the idea is to convert the DD1200 to a ST why would you bother with the suspension?Tank for range,seat for comfort,aftermarket wind screen and some soft luggage then of to a good suspension shop and have gold valve kits front and back and the bike set up for you and how you like to ride or set it up yourself.Sounds like a hell of a lot of fun.