PDA

View Full Version : Need your thoughts, DD12 owners help me decide

rst1k
09-23-2014, 02:29 PM
Hello everyone, I am needing your help once again. I have FINALLY closed on the house I have been wanting to buy (3months of hell, worst case of upset stomachs and headaches ever from the banks...) which means I can buy a new motorcycle to replace my Futura. I have been eyeballing the supermoto world, however a true supermoto like a WR or DR dirt bike converted will not work for me. Which threw me into the HyperMoto range of DD750/DD1200/Hypermotard/KTM SMT. I have a few questions, and since I'm already a huge fan of Aprilia I would rather stay with this brand. I'm familiar with parts and a local dealership that is helpful. But my first question is about the commuting capabilities of this bike. I know there have been many other threads regarding the capabilities of this bike but my situation is a bit different. I travel to work on back roads, freeway, across a ferry, backroads, highway then a short jaunt of city stuff. All of that in 75 miles each direction. I dont do this commute every day, but at least 2-3 times a week. Fuel consumtion/fuel tank size/range doesnt bother me, I honestly like reasons to stop somewhere and stretch my legs. However, my real question has more to do with wind deflection, ease of maintaining speed, and if the DD12 requires a lot of daily maintenance. I have found a 2011 Aprilia Dorsoduro 1200 non ATC/ABS about 200 miles away from me for $8,000 at only 870 miles. No scratches, no dings, always garaged, etc. Unfortunately I can't just let my motorcycles sit in the garage, I ride the piss out of them due to my 150 miles a day commutes. How does the DD12 like the freeway? 65-80 mph range mostly but how does it also do in traffic? Do i need to worry about lane splitting/filtering? How badly do the tires wear out and how does the bike perform in the rain?

I know you guys will help me out with this information. I have test ridden a 750, but from everything I read there isn't really a comparison other than seating position. Is 8000 for a DD12 a reasonable price at under 1k miles? Is there any hidden nuances that you guys can give me a heads up on? any really mandatory modifications to make the bike okay to ride for more than 1 hour at a time?

If anyone is up to talk with me on the phone please PM me and I can ask all these type of questions directly. I just have such a special case that I can't relate to others asking about if the DD12 is worthy. For me I'll be running 15,000 miles on it per year, so it's gotta be a fantastic little bugger :D

xactoman
09-23-2014, 03:27 PM
The Dorso is basically the Caponord without all the craponards on it. So, it's a wonderful engine, powerful with lots of push. Buying a bike is a really personal thing and you have to want to ride a naked to make it work for you. That said, it is a pretty great naked bike. It pushes good at 70mph, much better than you would think. It does throw up some buffeting on a windy days, but that's part of the package. Seat is very firm and you want to get off at about an hour. Can extend travel longer with padded bike shorts. Good gear is a must.

Throttle is good in T mode. S mode is exciting but very binary and twitchy in town; if you want some adrenaline, this is where you find it! The bike is long and stable and handles the highway fantastically. Fueling is good and in stop and go, I get about 30mpg (75 a tank). Highway I can pull about 45mpg (135 miles) so it should suit your commuting needs. I haven't worn out a set of tires though, so I can't comment on that. Seems to be about average usage for a high power sport bike though.

The price you found for a used one is pretty good if it is in good shape. I got mine new for 10k so 8k for the mileage is pretty fantastic.

This is one of the best all-rounders that I have ridden. If you can handle the naked wind and the short fuel range it will reward you with perm-grin. It really is more of a big universal bike than it is a supermoto, so it has much more flexibility. I would say that if you liked the way the 750 handled, then the 1200 is just that with a ton more power!

here are three reviews that sold me mine!
http://rideapart.com/articles/rideapart-review-aprilia-dorsoduro-1200
http://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/bikes/6436460/Worlds-fastest-chook-chaser
http://rideapart.com/articles/aprilia-dorsoduro-1200

Blue Catalina
11-21-2014, 09:33 AM
Not sure if you already have purchased your new dream ? I've owned my 2011 DD since new and found it to be supreme on the highway, naturally you don't get the protection of a bigger screen/fairing but then you don't suffer from the side-draught wind possibilities either. I've been buffeted about on a variety of bikes over the years and thinking about it now I conclude that the DD is the best compromise. I've run mine only in 'S' mode - tried 'R' mode during a rainy journey, hated it and switched back to 'S' - simply because I never get tired of the big bang effect that occurs at 4000 rpm. I have only just turned the traction control on as the byways in Belgium are strewn with stones, particularly it seems around bends, when it lets go on these it's a bit of a worry, so I probably should have done this some time ago...

thedude
11-21-2014, 11:22 AM
Judging by your signature it looks like you bought it. I was in exactly the same situation last month. Bought a house, yes that is a painful experience, and picked up a 2011 Dorso 1200 last week. I paid 8.2k and it has 5k miles but some nice add ons so I'd say you got a great deal.

I've only been able to ride it once in T mode but first impression was good but very different from my Falco and previous RSVR. I'm planning to roost in S mode on Sunday. :)

I'm pretty sure mine has stock gearing and it's a bit tall for the street which seems typical for Aprilia. Throttle response isn't quite what it should be coming out of 1st gear but I'm not sure it that's mode related or maybe I need an updated map. I'll stop by AF1 tomorrow and see what they suggest. Even after one ride I'm quite sure it's going to be a bike I spend a lot of time on. Curious to know what your impressions are now. Looks like you have already put a number of miles on it.

Pic of mine:

rst1k
11-21-2014, 04:55 PM
Excellent looking bike! what rear stand do you have? I need one for some maintenance purposes but haven't found one under 120 bucks! If I need to spend the money I will, but I don't want to. I have put nearly 3000 miles on my bike already. I ride it in every type of weather. Sun, rain, ice, and a few sets of stairs from time to time. I haven't changed anything on my bike other than removed the little rubber footpeg pads (they get slippy in rain) and pulled off the handguards to put on some handle sleeves for the colder/rainy months. Tire wear seems average for a higher powered sport bike. The current tires have a slight flat spot in the middle, but most of my commute is highway speeds so I expect that. The clutch fluid turns black quickly, however I am planning a flush soon, same with the rear brake fluid but I think that's due to the motor heat cooking it. I have had to adjust my headlight a lot, it likes to aim upward over time. I assume the vibration backs the screw out (left being higher, right being lower). So every 500-1000 miles so far I had to do a couple right turns on the adjuster to not blind everyone. No complaints for the motor. I came off a RST1000 which has less HP/TQ, so I started in T mode as well. T mode was manageable and a good learning map. After I got a hang of it I threw it in Sport and let her rip. I have had a few scares (I wasn't comfortable with wheelies at the time) but over a miles I have done I can control a nice power wheelie in 2nd around 55mph. I plan on getting a FatDuc and a DNA filter, someday get a MIVV or akropovic exhaust. I will be putting new rubber on the bike around 5-6k miles, going to some pilot road 4's since I ride in all weather types.

trainman
11-21-2014, 05:45 PM
one of the Puig type screens makes the wind more bearable

I think the black clutch fluid maybe down to the seals, saw it on this forum somewhere, mines always been black and is fine

dfriz
11-21-2014, 08:33 PM
Love my 1200 my buddy had to buy one also fun ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Locky
11-24-2014, 10:20 AM
I got mine as a reward for the sale of a house and it was still a nightmare the best part being the bike.When I first got mine I tried swapping the clutch master cyl. to lighten the pull but it didn't make it any better so I swapped back and a year later my fluid is still the colour it was out of the bottle so I would say what ever causes the darkening can be cleaned out.I'm going to do my brakes soon and again before I put my bike back on the road in the spring which I'm hoping works the same as the clutch.
I got a set of stands of Psycho Moto on ebay front and back for under $90.00 well made and strong.I went with the GPR furore cans and fat duc which I highly recommend.I have left the stock filter cause the bike runs great a lot cooler than stock and between the cans and the fat duc the mid range feels fatter than stock but I also dropped a tooth on the front sprocket which may be why it feels that way.The fact that I don't get the inside of my thighs cooked and the bike runs great seems enough..........

thedude
11-24-2014, 03:10 PM
Excellent looking bike! what rear stand do you have? I need one for some maintenance purposes but haven't found one under 120 bucks! If I need to spend the money I will, but I don't want to.

The rear stand is a pit bull and I got it with the bike. They generally run ~$130 for a rear and they are top quality. I've had a front and rear for 15+ years with no problems at all. Having said that I also have a rear Vortex stand that I think I paid ~$70 for new. Had it at least 8 yrs and no issues either. This thing is way cool and should work on a DD!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vauYuwIfXJg

When I purchased mine the seller told me it had a "race ecu". Not sure if that meant a new ecu or he had the race map installed on the stock ecu. With the arrow pipes I'm sure some map other than stock was tweaked. I had been riding in T mode just to familiarize myself with the bike but felt the throttle delivery seemed inconsistent. Tried S mode this weekend and what a difference!!! Cleaned up the slop out of 1st gear and smoothed the throttle delivery in every gear. I need to read more on the differences in the modes but it seemed to improve/shorten the "throw" between gears. I dunno how many times I hit neutral on an up shift from 1st to 2nd in T mode. Didn't happen once in S mode. Not sure if/when I'll ever use anything other than S mode.

NORTY
12-02-2014, 01:53 AM
Bent shift fork?

thedude
12-03-2014, 02:16 PM
Don't think so. More likely just me getting familiar with the bike.