PDA

View Full Version : Clarkie's Race Report 12-13 June - LRRS (long as always)

clarkie49
06-14-2004, 09:49 AM
Awesome!

That's the best way to describe my first weekend on the new bike.

My goal for the weekend was to get comfortable on the new bike, get it set up as well as the old Green Meanie, keep the lead in the Twins class and get into the 1.13's. i managed 3 out of 4 of my goals with the only thing i wasnt happy with being how the bike was handling, i am very critical of how i lik emy bikes being set up, and i think this comes from racing the GP bike and RS250 where the setup and handling is critical.

Saturday morning practice went well and i was running comsistant 1.15's which was a little slower than what i was hoping for but i was having trouble with the gearing and my shift points. the close ratio tranny in the 04 screwed me up in a few places and to be honest the 01 tranny works better around Loudon. During the weekend i went from a 42 rear, to a 41, to a 43 and finally back to the 42 rear sprocket. nothing was perfect everywhere and i found myself having to short shift or over-rev the bike in a couple of places. what makes it worse is that Jesse runs a 42T rear but we have different shift points, i have found a few areas where i can change my shift points and i know what i will be running now for next weekend's FUSA/LRRS weekend.

our first race was the Heavyweight Superbike and it would be the first time i was on track with Chris Rockwell who was my biggest non-Aprilia competition in the twins class (with Jesse being a lot bigger threat on his Aprilia), i got a great start and spent most of the race in 2nd place behind a guy on a GSXR750 that aparently has had a bunch of motor work done to it. i knew i was a lot faster around the back of the corse and into T1 and was planning on setting him up on the last lap around the back part of the track, we got the white flag and he must have thought he had the race in the bag. he braked for T1 way too early and i basically just drove around him and held him off for the rest of the lap to win the race by 3/4 of a second.

Sweet, 1 race, 1 win, great way to start the weekend :cool: i only got into the 1.14's but i wasnt really pushing yet.

our second race was the Unlimited Superbike, i got another great start and moved into the lead pretty quickly, on lap 3 Des Conboy came past me into T6 on his built R6 and i know he can do 1.12's so i was hoping he would drag my times down. we went back and forth a few times which kind of surprised him a bit as he should of just pulled away from me. the race got red flagged on lap 4 and we went back to the grid where we were in for a 5 lap sprint. i got a crappy start and was in 4th place but my first flying lap was a 1.13.933 and on lap 3 started pushing my way to the front, that same lap someone else crashed and their bike was in the middle of the track so they red flagged the race again.

they ended up going back a lap so the final result was taken from the positions at the end of lap 2 which gave me 4th place :mad: i got totally robbed on that one, but i was stoked about doing a 1.13 lap on my first flying lap - which was the fastest anyone went during the two part race.

Sunday

Sundays twins race was the big one, i got another good start and went around a Ducati (i love saying that) in T1 and showed Rockwell a wheel into T2, the next lap i showed him a little more than just a wheel into T2 and i outdrove him down the short straight into T3 and he came up the inside of me and totally stood me up in the middle of T3.

i gotta take a minute to explain a few things about Chris Rockwell, he is a very agressive rider and doesnt mind running into you to make a pass, everyone is going nuts about how dangerous he is, and while he is very agressive and wont give you any room, these LRRS guys have never raced in Australia and dont really know what agressive is :D if someone wants to bang bars with me i have NO problem banging back :D

we finished lap two with Rockwell in the lead and i was right on his tail, i had a lot of speed on him down the straight but would save that for later if i needed it. Rockwell was covering the inside of T2 and using the 'normal' racing line i outdrove him down to T3 and we went into the corner side-by-side, this time it was my turn to stand Rockwell up in the middle of the turn, except i was a little nicer about it :D we hit traffic and i pushed hard through the slower guys and got a pretty big gap, Jesse and Rob Nigl passed Rockwell and i won by around 3 seconds over Jesse.

Woohoo! 2 wins and i extended my points lead to 4 points over jesse, and ran high 1.13's in traffic. i had a problem with my bike starting a shimmer down the front straight that got worse and worse and back in the pits i found that one of my fork tubes had slipped in the clamps which was causing the problem, i fixed that, made a few other changes and hung out for the last race of the day which was Unlimited GP.

Eric Wood and Scotty Greenwood where in this race and the plan was just to keep them in sight as i knew they would be doing 1.12's during the race. i got a crappy start (2 good ones, 2 crappy ones for the weekend) and was in 5th going into T1, by T3 i pushed past 2 guys and was in 3rd, i actually maned to stay with Eric and Scotty for a couple of laps and by the half way mark they only had about a seond on me.

yep, then it happened, i looked over my shoulder and saw a GSXR1000 on my tail and then i started racing 'behind' rather than in 'front' of me, i started making mistake after mistake and only just managed to hold off Ricky Douchette to take 3rd, what was cool is that he said he barley managed to close on me down the straight and that was probably due to the draft effect - who needs a 170hp inline 4 when you have 145hp twin :rambo:

i also managed to run consistant 1.13's with my fastest being a 1.13.65 which was my fastest lap for the weekend. with the new gearing i want to run 12's are next

so after that long race report here are my results and overall standings for the classes.

Heavy Weight Superbike - 1st - 1st overall :banana:
Unlimited Superbike - 4th (robbed) - 2nd overall (by two points to Jesse)
Heavyweight Twins - 1st - 1st overall :banana:
Unlimited GP - 3rd - 1st equal overall :banana:

Bring on the FUSA weekend as we will be up against Mike Barnes and Mike Ciccotto on their Factory Buel's :rambo:

Jiggla
06-14-2004, 10:18 AM
Congrats Clarkie! I sent you & Jesse an email this morning after seeing the results on the LRRS site. :peace:

Scooter
06-14-2004, 10:25 AM
Great report, clarkie! I have been wondering about the tranny ratio in the 04's. It is hard to find gearing that works well in all corners with the twin, I think.

Holy crap on the points standings! That is pretty good. Seems like you are dusting off fairly well.

Sucks about the red flags- the restart always seems to scramble things back up slightly. All those laps of having to get around people only to have them holeshot back by you on the restart.

Keep us posted on the FUSA weekend.

So, the old Gix1k didnt pull that much on you at that pace. Hmmmmm....

clarkie49
06-14-2004, 10:36 AM
dude, it was so cool in practice when Jesse and i would go out together, two identical looking Aprilia's and would go bombing past guys on 600's and 1000's together, inside, outside, splitting them left and right :D

everyone was commenting on how good the bikes looked and how fast they were :rambo: :rambo: :rambo:

cggunnersmate
06-14-2004, 11:01 AM
Congrats Aaron, glad to hear you got your bike back from Kent. How bad did his "tuner" muck up the FI? I'm gonna try to make it up there next weekend. I'm looking forward to seeing you and Jesse kick ass!
:banana: :banana: :banana:

clarkie49
06-14-2004, 11:11 AM
the dyno guy's out in LA had nothing to do with the magazine, they are just aparently of of LA's 'best' :rolleyes: maybe i should open a dyno shop in LA

the biggest problen is that they turned off the accelerator pump feature and totally ignored the on-off throttle part of the map which is what the problem Kent had. trust me, you dont want that much power coming on too fast :D

as a an example, they had 0's in the 0% and 2% throttle positions, i have 30% fuel in the 0% and 25% fuel in the 2%, and 20% in the 5% columns. i also have the accelerator pump feature set up so it dumps a lot of extra fuel in when you crack the throttle open. this basically means i can open the throttle anywhere in the corner as hard as i want and it wont upset the bike at all.

i rode the bike on the street when it got back from LA and while it wasnt terrible on the street i could still feel how jerky it was, the Streets of Willow is one of the tightest tracks in the country so i am actually kinda glad the Kent showed some discression and parked the bike. it sucks for the article, but at least he didnt go down and get hurt and bang up the bike.

see ya next weekend!

BigTuna
06-14-2004, 11:11 AM
Clarkie

Great job!

It was obvious from watching your races that you had shaved a little more time off your laps. I sat in T3 and watched a few of your races and it was really impressive to watch you rail thru T3..

I have to agree that it was impressive to watch you two on the Milles tear up the track.....the bikes look and sound great. It was some great racing to watch!!!!

Also, I want to thank you for your input on helping me with my starts. As I told you, because I had such bad starts my race results were crappy on Saturday . I got stuck mid pack in each race and I couldn't get my way through into the front and had to settle with two 6th places and a 9th place.

After speaking with you Saturday I took your advice and I had better results on Sunday. Sunday I went into T1 in no worse than 5th place and I won both the HWSB and MWGP. I also surpassed my goal of getting into the 1:19s. I ran constistant 1:19s and even mixed a few 1:18's into my last race.

Unfortunatley I can't make it up there again this weekend...best of luck.....

Jim

Scooter
06-14-2004, 12:00 PM
So, when do we get pictures of You and Jesse's bike? That is really good that you have a solid teammate. I would kill to have another twin enthusiast to race with and partner up with. Sounds like you guys are smoking!

What is with this fuel injection stuff? Was this on another post? I am very interested in this, Clarkie. My one gripe about the twins is the on-throttle response bombing into a turn. You can dial that out with the 04's? So, in essesnce you just made it rich to smooth it out a little? I could see a big difference in handling potential with the on-throttle smoothed out a tad and a good slipper clutch.

clarkie49
06-14-2004, 12:16 PM
thanks jim - like i said at the track, you were looking awesome through T6! you really had that little Honda screaming!

Scooter - you can dial the jerkyness out with the pciii-usb, you can also do it with the old pciii if you add enough fuel off throttle and increase the idle to 2500rpm.

whenever you see a photo of a bike with flames coming out of the tail pipe if means they have added shitloads of fuel at 0% throttle.

how does your map look at 0, 2 and 5%?

Scooter
06-14-2004, 12:24 PM
My map? Uh, I dont have a PCiii. Just the Factory pro chip. dialed in by the EGA on the dyno at AF1. So I have no idea.

I had no idea the PCiii could mess with throttle response, or I would have picked one up. So much to learn...

Aprilia94
06-14-2004, 12:33 PM
Awesome job Clarkie, I love hearing about beating Ducatis and Suzukis. That's super cool how you've got the fuel management stuff figured out. I wish I had a better setup in that and suspension...will get around to it I guess.

vpr80
06-14-2004, 01:30 PM
Aaron, awesome reading....sounds like you guys are having a great time and kicking serious ass....good luck.

PS - I wanna race too :-(

BigTuna
06-14-2004, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by clarkie49

Sunday

Sundays twins race was the big one, i got another good start and went around a Ducati (i love saying that) in T1 and showed Rockwell a wheel into T2, the next lap i showed him a little more than just a wheel into T2 and i outdrove him down the short straight into T3 and he came up the inside of me and totally stood me up in the middle of T3.

i gotta take a minute to explain a few things about Chris Rockwell, he is a very agressive rider and doesnt mind running into you to make a pass, everyone is going nuts about how dangerous he is, and while he is very agressive and wont give you any room, these LRRS guys have never raced in Australia and dont really know what agressive is :D if someone wants to bang bars with me i have NO problem banging back :D

we finished lap two with Rockwell in the lead and i was right on his tail, i had a lot of speed on him down the straight but would save that for later if i needed it. Rockwell was covering the inside of T2 and using the 'normal' racing line i outdrove him down to T3 and we went into the corner side-by-side, this time it was my turn to stand Rockwell up in the middle of the turn, except i was a little nicer about it :D we hit traffic and i pushed hard through the slower guys and got a pretty big gap, Jesse and Rob Nigl passed Rockwell and i won by around 3 seconds over Jesse.

I was watching that race from T3 and saw that action between you and Rockwell. You had me out of my seat when Rockwell stood you up and then the two of you went through T3 side by side.

Unless you have raced Loudon you cannot appreciate how exciting that was to watch. Most racers would have backed off and let Rockwell take the corner, but Clarkie rode through it side by side and didn't let Rockwell get away with his move.

keep it up Clarkie and I'll be asking for your autograph soon :happy:

montereyrsvr
06-14-2004, 07:47 PM
Keep it up clarkie and you'll soon be telling us about the AMA ride you're sure to get offered for next year! ;)

clarkie49
06-14-2004, 08:38 PM
i am too old for that AMA shit :D

it was actually pretty funny becuase after the race Rockwell was saying that he didnt know what was up with me as i was riding 'so agressively' :rolleyes:

it was funny as he he stood me up in T3 and the next lap i did it back, then i set him up going over the T4 hill as there was a waving yellow flag and i braked early making him pass me under a yellow :D as i beat him anyway they didnt do antthing about it, but i have figured out how to beat him both on and off the track now so i am not worried about him at all....... now Jesse is another problem :D

we go out in practice together and push each other harder and harder, so every practice is a race. it gets us on our game quicker and we both trust each other not to take the other person out as if we do we have been told we will be racing Guzzi's for the rest of the season. we both ride very similar as well which makes things a lot easier with setup and race lines etc.

Jesse is definitely the guy i have to watch out for, i get through traffic a little better at the start of the race but he is a lot quicker at the end (something i have to work on) and even when i beat him on the track the bastard still has a faster lap than i do :mad:

montereyrsvr
06-14-2004, 08:43 PM
"we go out in practice together and push each other harder and harder, so every practice is a race. it gets us on our game quicker and we both trust each other not to take the other person out as if we do we have been told we will be racing Guzzi's for the rest of the season. we both ride very similar as well which makes things a lot easier with setup and race lines etc."

Ah, the dreaded and potentially fatal Guzzi Cup warning :D

BigTuna
06-14-2004, 08:45 PM
it is definately fun watching you two mixing up out there.

Davenet
06-15-2004, 08:17 AM
You two would probably get as much attention (more?) on your California Titanium's. Hell, that integral braking system might even work to your benifit! :D :rolleyes: :D

mike71
06-15-2004, 09:02 AM
sounded like a great race :D

Jet City Racer
06-16-2004, 11:43 PM
<these LRRS guys have never raced in Australia and dont really know what agressive is if someone wants to bang bars with me i have NO problem banging back>

They sure do in AFM. Check out these pix from T7 @ Sears Point in '02. Hawk Mazotta was in first about 1 foot off the inside and Rich Thorwaldson took it and actually passed him.And Hawk is no slouch when it comes to corner speed either!
I had the crap scared out of me as I was behind them and I thought for sure they were going down for sure, but Hawk never even flinched!

As far as your results, great job this weekend!:banana:

Jet City Racer
06-16-2004, 11:44 PM
Damn tight!

Aprilia94
06-17-2004, 12:49 AM
that's the first time I've ever seen a good reason to add an "X" or whatever letter to a number plate...

Jet City Racer
06-17-2004, 01:00 AM
I guess since they had the same # they could ride in the same spot of track! :D

Either that or they got so close the #'s were transposed to the other. :p:

BTW, it's 2:00 in the morning Les. Why are you still up, isn't it past your bedtime? Come on, you're in training.:D

Aprilia94
06-17-2004, 01:08 AM
I just finished some decals on a body for Sportbike Tracktime ('04 RSVR). I tend to check my email and the forum before bed. Unfortunately, I am usually still up at this time lately.

clarkie49
06-17-2004, 06:39 AM
there is a difference between riding inches away from each other and using the other guy as a berm :D

remember when Kurt-Ass 'made a hole' on the last lap through T7/8 at Willow Springs on the 600's to pass BBoz, that is common practice in Australia. if you leave a few inches of room on the inside of a corner expext two comes to come through and you will get knocked wide, just how everyone rides down under, non of these 'gentleman racing rules'

but maybe that is why the Australians have always done so well when they go overseas :D they dont have to worry about anyone hitting them so they cam just focus on going fast :rambo:

scariest thing i have ever experienced, NZ moto-cross championship, 40 bikes going into a 3 bike wide corner and no one letting off, now that is some crazy eye-opening shit :rambo:

Jet City Racer
06-17-2004, 08:24 AM
I have always wondered why so many folks from Down Under have done so well. And I thought it was because y'all were just friggin' crazy!
:D

I thought Kurtis's move at Willow was a good clean agressive pass. Eboz GAVE him the inside line.

Yeah I grew up racing MX too. That's how I got my funny walk. I went down in the first turn while in the front and got run over so many times people lost count. It's one thing using a bike as a berm, but a body? Ouch!

:peace:

(diet)DrThunder
06-17-2004, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Jet City Racer

I thought Kurtis's move at Willow was a good clean agressive pass. Eboz GAVE him the inside line.
:

I'm prett sure he actually hit both of the guys he was passing...that's a good clean pass?

montereyrsvr
06-17-2004, 10:58 PM
I heard somebody call it two wheel NASCAR :D

lunchbox
06-18-2004, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by montereyrsvr
I heard somebody call it two wheel NASCAR :D

Dude please dont say NASCAR in this forum:D