PDA

View Full Version : Tires

Locky
09-19-2014, 10:55 PM
With the end of the ridding season not far away I've been going over my bike and what I want to do for next season and number one on my list is new tires.I find the Dunlops that the bike came with to hard and I don't like the profile of the front tire.Has anyone tried any tires that have worked good on the DD1200?I only ride on paved roads and I like to push it pretty hard.263162

lanter
09-20-2014, 06:21 PM
Rosso 2s and Rosso Corsa both great tires!

Skully
09-21-2014, 04:31 AM
The original Dunlop Qualifiers on my DD1200 were replaced with Michelin Pilot Power 3's and I have done just over 1500km (+-950 miles) on them and they are brilliant.
Road feel is much better, cold grip is pretty good and once warm, they stick like glue.

I also felt the Dunlops to be way too hard. Cold grip was bordering on terrible and road feel was nowhere near to being nice. When pushing hard through long sweeps, the traction control light (ATC set to 1) would be flickering like mad. With the Pilot Power 3's, the ATC light has "calmed down" a hell of a lot:lol:

Locky
09-21-2014, 06:25 AM
The DD1200s they sold in North America only had the power settings.The been counters thought the price would be to high for the market here so it was the basic model
only here.You nailed the way I feel about the Dunlops Skully.Thanks for the info guys,there's nothing more frustrating than spooning a new set of tires on only to find they
make your bike handle like crap......

DaveNZ
09-22-2014, 12:00 AM
Anyone here tried the metzeler M7RRs, ive just fitted them on the multi and my 1290, not enough Ks ridden to yet, but they have been getting great reviews, and were chosen as the best alround sport touring tire, ive just switched from dunlop sportsmarts 2s which were fantastic

Treg
09-23-2014, 03:09 PM
Pirelli Angel GT amazing tyres!!!!

gtrob
09-25-2014, 11:39 PM
I had a set of Diablo super corsa's on my speed triple. Awesome tyre. Stick like you wouldn't believe. No good in the wet and didn't last real long.

gtrob
09-27-2014, 07:12 PM
Does any one know if you can get a 190/55-17 on the dd. I wouldn't mind a bit wider rear tyre. For looks more than any thing

Treg
09-29-2014, 04:11 PM
Does any one know if you can get a 190/55-17 on the dd. I wouldn't mind a bit wider rear tyre. For looks more than any thing

That's what I have on my DD...looks awesome and more stable.

gtrob
09-29-2014, 04:36 PM
Cool thanks.

yzr750
09-29-2014, 05:32 PM
I only ride on paved roads and I like to push it pretty hard.
Then I assume from that pic that you hadn't actually ridden it at that point, and the tyre wear was from pushing it around the garage?

carlo_sg
10-04-2014, 01:27 AM
Then I assume from that pic that you hadn't actually ridden it at that point, and the tyre wear was from pushing it around the garage?

LOL! Yeah was thinking something a bit more hard wearing on the center, like Pirelli Rosso II or Bridestone BT023

dfriz
10-05-2014, 08:00 PM
I use Pirelli 190/55 on the rear little tuffer to get rid of chicken strip lol

Locky
10-19-2014, 09:32 AM
I haven't gotten the chicken strip off of any of the big bikes I've owned in years and the last would of been my RZ350. I drove that on the street with street/track tires Michelin PZ2's.I think you missed
something.If I trusted these tires enough to get the bike over enough to wear the strip off I'd be looking the get a second set not something different.
I was riding with some friends and a guy named Mark who always made a big deal about giving us a hard time about our so called chicken strips. We were coming back after watching the bike races at AMP.
After about an hour of dicing back and forth on the hwy with the cloverleaf turn off to where we all lived in sight Mark raced to the front and went into the turn leaned over and sparks coming of his foot pegs.At the top of the turn where you came out to the main road he hit that v of pebbles you aways see there.The bike slid then hooked up and his fighting for control but him into oncoming traffic where he hit the front
of a woman in an Olds Vista cruiser.He lived,the next time I saw him was when I bought his wreck for parts about 6 months after the accident, his brother did most the talking Mark was still a mess.I ran in
to his brother again 2 years later on a trip back east to see my mother,he said Mark doesn't ride any more and he had gotten religion.I guess I don't have to tell you how I feel about trying to get those
type of lean angles on the street.I like to go fast but there are things that belong only on the track.

yzr750
10-21-2014, 05:42 PM
Well, you came asking for advice, and it looks to me like a case of you thinking you want something and actually needing something entirely different.

Mattix415
07-14-2015, 04:34 AM
i got my DD with a pair of Michelin Pilot Road 3's, these tyres i found were really amazing! just recently went to put on new tyres and found they have discontinued the Pilot road 3's and now you have a road 4. I live in Cape Town and winter is rainy and wet but summer is hot and dry so it really is the perfect tyre for the city i live in! I managed to get my hands on a Pilot road 3 rear but had to go with a road 4 front. They are dual compound and i get really good milage out of them as i ride my bike everyday! (The car now sits at home) I would suggest to anyone to go for the Michelin's pilot road series really a great tyre for this style of bike!

Muzza989
07-14-2015, 12:41 PM
Michelin pilot power 3s 😃

Paul666
07-15-2015, 12:40 AM
I have a Pirelli Diablo Rosso II. Can you close your rear tire and get down on knee when you turning? If you can send photos your rear tires.

Matanel Azulay
08-27-2015, 01:19 AM
dd1200 - METZELER M5 - REAR 190/55/17.

I have them for a 9k and they are veeery goood!

I'm don't have a footpeg any more..:banana: