PDA

View Full Version : Summertime and the loving is Aprilia

Locky
09-17-2014, 02:50 PM
I got my bike lic.the summer of 1974 and have been riding steady but for 3 yrs off when I broke my back.Over the time I've owned 27 bikes,mostly sport bikes but also a couple of trail bikes and cruisers but all have been Jap bikes.In 1981 while out riding I stopped at a Ducati dealer and scored a ride on a panth 600 it didn't do much for me and no way would the dealer let the 900 he had out for test rides. Italian bikes always seemed trick to look at but under powered and to many stories of being unreliable.Aprilia and Bimota seemed to blend the best of both worlds with Jap power in Italian bikes.I watched what is now called supermoto start in the 80s and that seemed a blast but it didn't take off here and I got into streetfighters till Aprilia seemed to answer what in my mind is the perfect play bike and built the DD1200.When they came out I read everything I could about them but between the price and the Bandit I had that I spent way to much money and time on I passed but kept on reading about them and wanting one.Then one came up for sale at a dealers that I was thinking of buying a speed triple from, a 2011 that had been there for 3 yrs brand new and 4500. off the asking price.I bought it and I have had more fun than I've had on a bike in 30 yrs this summer.My only real complaint is the seat,the so called comfort gel seat is the worst seat I've ever had on a bike and the word comfort doesn't enter into it.Yet I find myself riding the bike till it's painful because it's such a blast to ride.
The bike has turned out to be very reliable handles great stops on a dime and pulls like you've been shot out of a cannon and a 2 year warranty.Of course it looks like Aprilia is not making the 1200 anymore but I got mine and if I come up with the money I'd get a second one.Maybe some day I'll have to start acting my age but not till I have to. Till then I just hope I don't lose my lic. Dam but this bike is fun.....

trainman
09-17-2014, 03:35 PM
3 words
padded cycle shorts

feels like you have you have a nappy (diaper?) on but they work

lanter
09-17-2014, 06:18 PM
Look at my Renzco racing seat thread. It made a huge improvement and Id actually say my seat is comfortable.

dfriz
09-19-2014, 08:32 PM
3 words
padded cycle shorts

feels like you have you have a nappy (diaper?) on but they work

thumbs up on bike shorts that's what I use !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Locky
09-20-2014, 02:54 PM
How about going right to the nappies,might be comfy if not it would save on bathroom stops though you would have to wear bigger pants and you might not smell to great.You could be the first person to die from complications caused by combined diaper rash and monkey butt.

The remains of an iron butt rally participant were discovered today.He crashed and blew up while driving his Aprilia Dorsoduro 1200.It is believed to be caused
by a combination of toxic shock and the extra gas being carried in makeshift saddle bags.He was identified by the name in his padded bicycle shorts.