PDA

View Full Version : voltage spike-regulator going?

cokoop
09-04-2014, 06:35 PM
After starting, while warming up my voltage will sometimes spike to 17.5v and then drop back down. This causes the bike to throw a code. It doesn't seem to do it while the bike is warm but what started as an occasional hiccup is becoming more frequent.

I'm guessing this is a regulator problem but before I order one should I be checking anything else?

TIA.

Fox Fader
09-04-2014, 07:18 PM
There was just a thread about this. I'll look.

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?295404-Voltage-too-high

cokoop
09-04-2014, 07:28 PM
Thanks,

I saw that one. I checked my connection and it seemed fine and not pressured by anything, but it is a tight fit in there.

Fox Fader
09-04-2014, 07:40 PM
Then Id look at the rectifier. Wouldn't hurt to check the ac output of the stator either.

Jeff U
09-04-2014, 08:26 PM
After starting, while warming up my voltage will sometimes spike to 17.5v and then drop back down. This causes the bike to throw a code. It doesn't seem to do it while the bike is warm but what started as an occasional hiccup is becoming more frequent.

I'm guessing this is a regulator problem but before I order one should I be checking anything else?

TIA.

Is it RPM dependent ?

Which voltage regulator do you have?

cokoop
09-04-2014, 08:54 PM
It does it on start up when I'm letting the bike warm up or within a couple blocks. Once it gets up to full temp it hasn't done it yet. But it seems to be happening more frequently.

The RR was replaced once. Don't know what make. I thought my stator was shot but the shop said it was the RR and replaced it.

Jeff U
09-04-2014, 09:53 PM
It does it on start up when I'm letting the bike warm up or within a couple blocks. Once it gets up to full temp it hasn't done it yet. But it seems to be happening more frequently.

The RR was replaced once. Don't know what make. I thought my stator was shot but the shop said it was the RR and replaced it.

I'd guess the voltage regulator. When the stator dies it puts out not enough voltage, not too much.

It also takes a big spike in voltage to trigger that error code. I never figured out exactly what voltage triggers the fault but I'm pretty sure it's above 16 volts.

Mine was RPM dependent. It did not show up until somewhere above 7000 RPM.

While removing the pressure from the SH775 connections did seem to help, the high voltage issue reoccurred a few times at high RPM. So rather than risk other electrical problems, I switched to the CE605. Like the SH775 it is also a "series" regulator but is supposed to be the most robust of the available choices. So far, so good. Talk to Jack at www.roadstercycle.com he was fabulous to deal with.

I have one curiosity - I wonder how common it is to have a high voltage spike?

Obviously, high enough to trigger the "voltage too high" error is rare.

However, once I became aware of the issue I tried to duplicate it by watching the voltage while running up the RPM. Since nobody normal would ever do such a thing, I do wonder if voltage spikes are common but since no one ever looks, we have no idea it happens.

cokoop
09-04-2014, 10:03 PM
Did the SH775 fit without modification?

watching the on screen volt meter it flashed 17 to 18v

Jeff U
09-05-2014, 06:14 AM
Did the SH775 fit without modification?

watching the on screen volt meter it flashed 17 to 18v

Ouch, at that voltage I would worry about damage to the ECU or other electrical components.

The SH775 fit with Jack's adapter plate but required me to cut the lower fairing. After my experience I would not go with the SH775 on the T. It does not seem to be able to consistently handle the stator output at high RPM.

If you want a series regulator either the CE605 or the Compu-fire 55402 are a better choice.

The CE605 also fits but it needs mounting brackets and it's necessary to modify the stock mounting plate. See this link: (I made some slight changes to his method)

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?202651-Rick-s-stator-and-Cycle-Electric-rec-rect-Tuono-version!

I am not sure if it would require the fairing to be cut since I had already cut it to fit the SH775.