PDA

View Full Version : Introduction and question

jeckyll
08-09-2014, 02:55 PM
Hi folks,

Earlier this year I purchased a 2007 Tuono 1000R with only 11,000 km on it.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-BN5rCjwSewc/U53-5DhkTSI/AAAAAAAAXTc/e5uQTHZDf64/s800/%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

Just installed woodcraft sliders and lowering pegs and have a new set of CNC'd levers that are going on next.

My question: Thursday I had a bit of a touch time starting it after riding it for a bit. Basically it hesitated almost like it didn't have enough juice to turn the motor over. Got small red "caution" light once it started, which is gone now.

I checked the brown connector first, but no sign of melting of any sort. Charging voltage at idle shows 13.8 - 14.2 volts (seems right).
So I think I'll replace the battery first, since I don't know how old it is. Any other suggestions? If it's showing good charging voltage I'm guessing the rectifier should be OK?

Thanks in advance, I've already learned a lot about the Tuono on the forums, great resource :)

jeckyll
08-09-2014, 03:09 PM
One more photo from today
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-DpVXbnDJyX8/U-Z_fJsgEJI/AAAAAAAAXpI/Md90g-Yc594/s800/IMG_20140809_123238.jpg

g00gl3it
08-09-2014, 05:04 PM
Yeah, check the battery first -go lithium if you can afford it, they can crank these big pistons over pretty easy. I have a 12-cell ballistic in mine.

BMW851
08-12-2014, 05:11 PM
If you haven't already, it would be worth the money for a good quality battery tender/floating charger as well as a new battery, I have several bikes that sit for weeks at a time so every other day or so put them on charge for a few hours just to maintain the charge in the batteries, I don't leave them on tender 24/7 as I've found they can still boil a battery dry in my experience.

In particular the 'pril is quite fussy about it, as g00gl3it wrote they are big slugs to be cranking over from cold for that 1st kick.

Cheers

Peter

jeckyll
08-13-2014, 09:58 AM
Thanks for the suggestions.

I went to take the battery out and found that the negative terminal wasn't terribly tight. The previous owner filled the connectors with silicon grease and I'll be adding some extra spring-rings to try and keep the connections tight.

Seems better now, but if the issue comes back I'll get a new battery.

BMW851: unfortunately I'm not parked near a power outlet, so leaving it on a tender isn't feasible :)