PDA

View Full Version : Those who have ridden Gen 2 and V4 Tuonos - how do they compare?

skytzo
08-06-2014, 09:37 AM
Hey guys. I posted a thread in the V4 forum about a month ago after I took a Tuono V4 APRC out for a demo ride. I immediately wanted the bike, but it looks like it's probably not going to happen. The wife agreed to the idea of selling my '09 Concours14 but not to getting into another payment, so it looks like my budget will be limited to the used market, of which I have seen a number of 2nd gen Tuonos with low mileage in the $6000 - $8000 range. In fact, the dealer that has the V4 demo bike also has a 2007 with 2K miles for $6999. So, for those of you who have experience with both bikes, how do they compare, beyond the obvious hp difference? I'm wondering more about handling, comfort, engine character, etc.

Thanks in advance guys.

yzr750
08-06-2014, 03:54 PM
I own a gen2, I've ridden the V4 a few times.
The V4 is a lot faster, smoother, is a little bit sharper handling, brakes are about the same. The V2 is roomier and more comfortable for me (6.0ft)
I have enough trouble keeping my licence on the V2, it would be long gone on the V4. I'll probably buy a V4 eventually, but I'll still keep the V2.

skytzo
08-06-2014, 05:26 PM
Roomier and more comfortable is good. I'm 5'11" and uh, big boned :lol: so that's good to know. The V4 was more comfortable than I expected to be honest, but then again I was only on it for 20 minutes or so...I do know that hard plank of a seat would've had to go if I ended up getting one. I imagine the stock gen 2 seat is probably pretty hard too, right?

Leone
08-06-2014, 10:05 PM
You could possibly find a factory (likely with with pipes etc) at the upper end of your range, I think that would help close the gap a bit in terms of the stated ride and handling superiority of the new one.

I'm in a similar predicament, thought about trading my '07 factory for a new one, but when the dust settles I'd be ~$3k in the hole and back to a completely stock bike. On the other hand, it might be worth it if the V4 is truly that much better...

skytzo
08-06-2014, 10:28 PM
I'm getting a little ahead of myself since I need to sell my C14 first, but I've been perusing Craigslist and Cycle Trader a lot lately...there are 2 or 3 Factory models for sale in New Hampshire that could be had for around $8K. That would be worth the drive north.

Speaking of the Factory model...was the that the only Tuono available with the lion's head paint scheme? The reason I ask is the '07 R at my dealer is white with the red lion's head. Was that ever an option on the standard R model or is it more likely the original owner swapped body work? Sorry if these are dumb questions, I'm just trying to do my best to educate myself as much as possible about these awesome bikes.

DCAT
08-07-2014, 04:42 PM
Lions head was never an option on the standard Tuono, only the Factory. See link below:

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?111121-OEM-Parts-Diagram-Demonstration

skytzo
08-07-2014, 04:50 PM
Lions head was never an option on the standard Tuono, only the Factory. See link below:

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?111121-OEM-Parts-Diagram-Demonstration

Thanks, I was trying to search for something that laid out all of the various paint schemes by year. So now the question is, did the previous owner swap out the tank because he really liked it, or is it a replacement for crash damage. There is a dent in one of the cans.....

http://newhaven.craigslist.org/mcd/4596984918.html

yzr750
08-07-2014, 05:28 PM
Thanks, I was trying to search for something that laid out all of the various paint schemes by year. So now the question is, did the previous owner swap out the tank because he really liked it, or is it a replacement for crash damage. There is a dent in one of the cans.....

http://newhaven.craigslist.org/mcd/4596984918.html

May have been because the original tank swelled.

skytzo
08-07-2014, 07:41 PM
May have been because the original tank swelled.
Is that a common issue with these bikes?

Leone
08-07-2014, 08:47 PM
No tank swelling on my '07, though it's definitely something you frequently read about here.

felixdjb
08-08-2014, 02:26 AM

Was the Daytona available in the usa ?

Think it was pitched over here as 300 available worldwide...

Looks like This:

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?268264-2007-aprilia-tuono-daytona-for-sale

SquireSCA
08-08-2014, 08:13 AM
I picked up a 2009 Gen2 Factory with Akro pipes already installed for $8500 about 5 months ago, had only 1,600 miles on it.

Very happy with it, although the new one is faster and has better wind protection.

Is it $7k worth of better? Not really.

401Gremlin
08-10-2014, 06:53 PM
I have a 2009 Factory and I have also rode the V4. The power delivery of the V4 is a beast. I used to own a Vmax and I would compare the two as far as power goes. I like the simplicity of the twin. For me it has plenty of power and I may be old school but I'm not ready for the traction control, anti lock brakes and different power settings of the newer bikes. When I saw the '09 for sale a year and a half ago I jumped on it for that reason.

skytzo
08-11-2014, 02:54 PM
No tank swelling on my '07, though it's definitely something you frequently read about here.
I emailed the dealer about the lion tank on the one I posted a link to. He said surprise surprise, original tank swelled, the correct red tank was back ordered and the lion was available, so they swapped it. He also claimed the dent in the can was from the original owner backing into it in the garage with his truck. Seems plausible because I did see the bike in person and spent a fair amount of time checking it out before I took the V4 test ride. Also said they sold it originally and have done all the service. This is the same dealer that I bought my C14 from and he took good care of me, so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

But, if the tank swelled once from our shitty CT gas, who's to say it won't again?

Leone
08-11-2014, 03:53 PM
It might. Quite a few here Caswell coat, I have no experience with that but it seems to be a solution if done properly. (You're probably aware, the swelling is from the tank absorbing water, made worse from the hygroscopic quality of ethanol.)

I kept the stock venting system with the charcoal canister installed, but performed a few modifications to reduce pressure buildup inside the tank (as per a service bulletin for the newer V4 models, which utilize a similar venting setup, intended to mitigate the swelling problem also prevalent on those). IMHO, removing the emissions equipment to the extent that the tank is constantly exposed to atmosphere is a bad idea, especially in a humid climate. I also keep the fuel level low, and empty the tank completely if it's going to sit for more than a week.

I bought the bike new but it's only been a year, and I live in an area with low humidity... however I think it's possible to dodge the bullet with a few precautions, namely coating the tank if you think water is going to be a serious problem.

vfr99999
08-17-2014, 02:27 PM
Hey guys. I posted a thread in the V4 forum about a month ago after I took a Tuono V4 APRC out for a demo ride. I immediately wanted the bike, but it looks like it's probably not going to happen. The wife agreed to the idea of selling my '09 Concours14 but not to getting into another payment, so it looks like my budget will be limited to the used market, of which I have seen a number of 2nd gen Tuonos with low mileage in the $6000 - $8000 range. In fact, the dealer that has the V4 demo bike also has a 2007 with 2K miles for $6999. So, for those of you who have experience with both bikes, how do they compare, beyond the obvious hp difference? I'm wondering more about handling, comfort, engine character, etc.

Thanks in advance guys.

The v 4 bike is so limited in range It has range of a motard compared to a v2 Tuono. Like alot of the new generation bikes by alot of mfg range is down smaller tanks or mpg is less or both.
The whole idea of the naked is a sport bike with comfort for longer rides at least for me. V4 is also more complex as time goes on that means more cost at service and replacement time.

skytzo
08-24-2014, 01:27 PM
Oh boy...so now the dealer with the '07 is offering to do a straight up trade for it for my '09 Concours14, no sales tax, no plate transfer fee. Said he has a set of new stock cans to throw on as well. And I have the wife's blessings. I'm feeling like I can deal with all of the typical Aprilia quirks and issues, but the fact that the tank has already been replaced once is one that I'm not really sure that I want to deal with, whether it's trying to coat it (and hope it works) or having to replace it again. :( Is it really inevitable that the tank WILL swell again eventually? Help me out fellas....I think I'm talking myself out of this....

speedtoyz1
08-24-2014, 01:53 PM
Well I have owned 6 gen two bikes two tanks swelled the others didn't run non ethanol if you can ? Its really not that bad its just hard to get your tank back on when it swells (line up holes). I do always run my fuel low on trip home then open tank to release pressure. At the end of riding season fill up with non ethanol gas check puregas .org for stations near you . Ok about the bike I rode everything under the son I like the naked straight bars and less cramped feeling so I kept going back to gen two !! Awesome great bike im on a v4 now no turning back just will bring a smile every time you ride it !!! Hope that helps

skytzo
08-24-2014, 02:04 PM
Unfortunately, there is no non-ethanol gas available in my state. All that's listed on puregas.org available for CT is racing gas and a small engine repair shop, which isn't even near me anyway.

skytzo
08-28-2014, 08:23 PM
Found out some more info on the Tuono I posted a link to up thread....I told the dealer my concerns about tank swelling issues, he said that the new tank has been on for seven months now without problems. He also said they have done a few applications of Caswell epoxy to other customers tanks (he also sells Ducati) and none have come back to them with failures. I've decided to let my heart overrule my head and am going there Saturday to take it for a test ride, then hopefully get the paperwork started to make it mine! :banana:

Since they have done tank coatings, I'm going to ask how much they charge and if it's reasonable I'll have them do it as a preemptive measure since it will be another week before I pick it up. On a side note, is there any advantage in also having them switch the ECU to map 2 even though it has stock cans? I plan on replacing them as soon as finances allow, so I figure if it won't do any harm might as well get it done while it's there. Or will it run like ass with stock pipes on map 2?

skytzo
08-31-2014, 08:08 AM
I'm joining the family! :banana:Went down to the dealer yesterday. He said to take it out for as long as I wanted, so I had my riding buddy from the area who knows the roads better than me meet me there and I followed him through some city, back roads and highway to get a good feel for it. That was all it took - sold!! All that's left is to go down to my credit union and do a collateral swap basically; I continue paying off the balance of my loan (about a year left) and swap bike titles. Even up swap of a 2007 Tuono with 2400 mile for a 2009 Concours14 with 11,450 miles. No money out of pocket and only $7 more per year for insurance. I'm so stoked! Should be picking it up next Saturday.

http://home.comcast.net/~skytzoboy/SNERR/tuono1000r-left.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~skytzoboy/SNERR/tuono1000r-right.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~skytzoboy/SNERR/tuono1000r-front.jpg

The dented can will be replaced and there will be a fresh oil and clutch fluid change awaiting me. Looks even cleaner in person and they haven't even detailed it yet. Can't wait!!!

cokoop
08-31-2014, 01:45 PM
That's a sweet ride. I like that color scheme. Very clean.

tuono331
08-31-2014, 02:19 PM
Very nice, just remember to shift her like you mean it. Some of these girls really like to be dominated. P.S. - I got almost 9,000 miles on my rear Michelin pilot road 2 tire. This info might come into handy later. And I am an aggressive rider I would say. And don't be ashamed to buy multiple different sprockets and try different combos. I like my first gear a little more useful but also like the power to lift the front end in 2nd so I have a 17/42 combo right know. The wife hates it and thinks I'm wasting money but, I don't know as if I will ever leave this bike. It's freaking amazing. safe riding

skytzo
09-01-2014, 08:42 AM
Cool, I was eventually going to get around to asking if anybody ran sport touring tires on their Tuonos. I like stickiness, but I also like longevity. I won't be doing any track days (unless I get divorced :happy:) so when the time comes for my first tire change I'll be looking at ST tires.

speedtoyz1
09-01-2014, 01:45 PM
Cool, I was eventually going to get around to asking if anybody ran sport touring tires on their Tuonos. I like stickiness, but I also like longevity. I won't be doing any track days (unless I get divorced :happy:) so when the time comes for my first tire change I'll be looking at ST tires.
Good deal enjoy your new ride she is sweet !! I put the pilot road 3 or 4 great tire will last for ever push as hard as you want. Just maintain your air pressure!!

Oh yea if you cant find exhaust let me know I have a new set in garage from my old bike

cruppelt
09-02-2014, 12:43 PM
Congrats on the great bike and WAFO!

Enjoy.

Fox Fader
09-03-2014, 07:50 PM
If I were them I would have taken that trade too.

cokoop
09-04-2014, 12:28 PM
If I were them I would have taken that trade too.

Way to be, Capt. Buzzkill.

I think it's a fair deal. You can't forget transaction costs. He's not paying D&H or sales tax. Skytzo doesn't have to deal with the brain damage of selling the Kawi on his own. The Tuono is a clean bike with low miles and they are rare. Sure the dealer probably traded into a bike worth a little more but they have to make money too.

skytzo
09-04-2014, 02:38 PM
Way to be, Capt. Buzzkill.

I think it's a fair deal. You can't forget transaction costs. He's not paying D&H or sales tax. Skytzo doesn't have to deal with the brain damage of selling the Kawi on his own. The Tuono is a clean bike with low miles and they are rare. Sure the dealer probably traded into a bike worth a little more but they have to make money too.
Thank you. Could I have sold it privately and made more money? Sure. But realistically it could have taken a long time and I probably would've had to come down from my initial asking price to move it. I probably would've made an extra grand, but it's worth it to me to not deal with the hassle of trying to sell, plus it's no money out of my pocket since I didn't have to take money out of savings to pay off the loan and get the title...I could've advertised it as having a lien, but then it would've been harder to sell. I'm happy with the deal - I get the exact bike I wanted, no sales tax, no money out of pocket, and the dealer makes out good on his end - which btw, I have no problem with because I originally bought the C14 from him, heavily discounted as a leftover, plus he gave me $1200 trade-in for my totalled(!) ZRX. I know most dealers have a reputation of screwing people, but he's taken good care of me and I'm more than happy to do a deal that's mutually beneficial. Huge thumbs up for New Haven Powersports.