PDA

View Full Version : Potential 1200 owner looking for advice

husky350
08-05-2014, 08:57 AM
Hello everyone,

I am thinking about trading in my Ducati GT 1000 for a 2012 Dorsoduro 1200 with 700 miles and Leo Vince pipes. I did a test ride, and mostly loved the bike, except the pipes which I didn't care for. I loved the riding position, brakes and handling but the bike didn't seem to run too well below 3500-4000rpm with lots of backfiring and some stumbling. It smelled rich too.

I'm having the stock silencers put back on to see if this helps (Leo Vince will be for sale if I buy it). I don't want to buy something that will need a ton of work but if it's just an update map then I'm game - the research I've done seems to indicate that the map is pretty important! Can I tell which map is currently installed in the menu? What map should it have for stock silencers? Finally, should I expect a pretty smoothly running bike like my Ducati, which occasionally pops, or does this bike tend to run a bit rough?

I'd appreciate any help or links to help figure this out before buying.

Thanks everyone!

Keith

sdk187
08-05-2014, 11:31 AM
I have the same mapping question. FWIW, mine (2011 DD1200) prefers to be at or above 4k rpm. I wouldn't say it runs rough below that, it just prefers to rev a bit. I wouldn't trade it for anything though. Way too much fun.

trainman
08-05-2014, 12:57 PM
if Aprilia dealers have done updates then you may find a sticker on the battery cover - the latest update I have had is dated March 2013 and made a big diff, I didn't smell of petrol anymore and fuel use improved by about 15%, and it was smoother on the throttle below 5k - which was the aim I was told

husky350
08-06-2014, 08:00 AM
Thanks everyone!

husky350
08-21-2014, 09:31 AM
Hello trainman - the sticker says "2 2013 mapped to 1338_Ec9" So I guess that would be a Feb update and there is a newer one?

dfriz
08-21-2014, 10:37 AM
I just used a FADUC took care of it for me

telboy39
08-24-2014, 03:53 PM
Sorry to jump in on this but I'm toying with changing my V4 Tuono for a DD1200 ABS....not interested in which map does what etc etc.
How is a DD1200 to live with, tank range and general day to day running??
Has anyone made the same move and do they have any regrets.
I've owned the Tuono 2 yrs and its good fun but not that practical 2up over any real distances.
I've test ridden a DD twice....1st time when I bought the Tuono and now an ABS model...different style of riding but on most normal roads its seems easier to just get from A-B on it.

keithdavisau
08-25-2014, 02:27 AM
The Dorso gets about 135klms before the fuel light comes one. Its a great fun bike but the seats not real comfortable. I rode a Tuono and and found it didn't put a smile on my dial like the Dorso did. I also found you had to be going a lot faster on the Tuono to get that rush.

xactoman
08-25-2014, 08:52 AM
The Dorso is an awesome daily driver. Quick, stable, nimble. Eats up highway and city traffic. Tank is a hair small, but by the time the light is on it's time for a stretch anyway. It's stupid fast, but in a way that is safer and sub-100 than a super bike. I moved from a 955 Triumph Daytona that was stupid fast and the Dorso has been a great switch.

deanri
08-26-2014, 08:15 PM
Sorry to jump in on this but I'm toying with changing my V4 Tuono for a DD1200 ABS....not interested in which map does what etc etc.
How is a DD1200 to live with, tank range and general day to day running??
Has anyone made the same move and do they have any regrets.
I've owned the Tuono 2 yrs and its good fun but not that practical 2up over any real distances.
I've test ridden a DD twice....1st time when I bought the Tuono and now an ABS model...different style of riding but on most normal roads its seems easier to just get from A-B on it.

I have a 2011 DD1200 (non-ABS) and a 2014 Tuono V4. I ride each one about the same distances. The DD has a small tank so range is about 90 miles before the light goes on. It's a more comfy ride, initially than the Tuono, but the stock seat is a board and the gel seat is only slightly better after a couple hours. I actually find I can ride the Tuono on a longer ride. The DD is easier to ride around town and obviously has more legroom. Never rode 2up with it so can't add any value there. The DD, with it's torque and riding position will still bring out some hooliganism in you. The Tuono sound and shear joy factor it brings out brings a slightly bigger smile to my face.

trainman
09-02-2014, 03:06 PM
Hello trainman - the sticker says "2 2013 mapped to 1338_Ec9" So I guess that would be a Feb update and there is a newer one?

mine says 1338ea_7, so it sounds like they are related maybe and the slight difference might be to do with a country specific alteration ref emissions perhaps ?