PDA

View Full Version : New (new 2012 anyway) Dorsoduro Owner experiences

YeeHarr
07-26-2014, 10:05 PM
Hi All,

Before I bought my new Dorsoduro 1200 I spent a bit of time here and the information has helped a lot. My bike has no ABS or Traction control.

I got the bike in Feb after using the demo one overnight to make sure I can live with the amount of time I'd need to spend in 1st gear clutch slipping in slow traffic.

The demo one I tried smelled of petrol - I asked the dealer to make sure my new one had the updated map and I haven't noticed this at all (except in cold weather and you fire it up which is probably to be expected).

This forum pointed me to:

http://static.piaggio.com/recall/form-aprilia_en.html (http://static.piaggio.com/recall/form-aprilia_en.html)

And I had my demand sensor replaced. It's much better at low revs now. I can tick along much easier in slow traffic. It feels like they have spread out the response at the low end of the throttle. I don't need to slip the clutch as much now. I still have to in the 10k's mark but it's more like what I expected from a 1200 at low revs.

I also have a two phase engine braking effect similar to that described here (http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?292399-Engine-braking-issue). If I go fully off throttle I get very strong braking and then it eases off after 1 or 2s to something more user friendly. I usually get this in 1st and I think it's the same for other gears but I don't recall since I usually don't go completely off throttle in those gears. It's a great way to break traction which I usually don't want midcorner at higher speeds.

For me the most challenging part of the bike is the off throttle behaviour because of the huge amounts of engine braking when you close the throttle - so I hold the throttle open a bit in deceleration - maybe my technique is bad?

The most fun part is the on throttle behaviour :-) I LOVE sports mode! I do turn it off in the wet though usually because I've had one wheel spin in 3rd when asking for more acceleration than the traction could support - touring mode spreads out the response a lot more so it's not an instantaneous response which is how sports mode feels to me.

In sports mode I feel directly connected to the engine acceleration - it's completely awesome and made me use a bit more discipline than other bikes I've owned.

I love being able to change maps for when I want to ride a lot smoother. I hate rain mode. Makes the bike feel slow. So I never use that.

Anyway - thanks for sharing your information/experiences.

---
Bill

trainman
07-27-2014, 05:22 PM
Hi All,

Before I bought my new Dorsoduro 1200 I spent a bit of time here and the information has helped a lot. My bike has no ABS or Traction control.

I got the bike in Feb after using the demo one overnight to make sure I can live with the amount of time I'd need to spend in 1st gear clutch slipping in slow traffic.

The demo one I tried smelled of petrol - I asked the dealer to make sure my new one had the updated map and I haven't noticed this at all (except in cold weather and you fire it up which is probably to be expected).

This forum pointed me to:

(http://static.piaggio.com/recall/form-aprilia_en.html)http://static.piaggio.com/recall/form-aprilia_en.html

And I had my demand sensor replaced. It's much better at low revs now. I can tick along much easier in slow traffic. It feels like they have spread out the response at the low end of the throttle. I don't need to slip the clutch as much now. I still have to in the 10k's mark but it's more like what I expected from a 1200 at low revs.

I also have a two phase engine braking effect similar to that described here (http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?292399-Engine-braking-issue). If I go fully off throttle I get very strong braking and then it eases off after 1 or 2s to something more user friendly. I usually get this in 1st and I think it's the same for other gears but I don't recall since I usually don't go completely off throttle in those gears. It's a great way to break traction which I usually don't want midcorner at higher speeds.

For me the most challenging part of the bike is the off throttle behaviour because of the huge amounts of engine braking when you close the throttle - so I hold the throttle open a bit in deceleration - maybe my technique is bad?

The most fun part is the on throttle behaviour :-) I LOVE sports mode! I do turn it off in the wet though usually because I've had one wheel spin in 3rd when asking for more acceleration than the traction could support - touring mode spreads out the response a lot more so it's not an instantaneous response which is how sports mode feels to me.

In sports mode I feel directly connected to the engine acceleration - it's completely awesome and made me use a bit more discipline than other bikes I've owned.

I love being able to change maps for when I want to ride a lot smoother. I hate rain mode. Makes the bike feel slow. So I never use that.

Anyway - thanks for sharing your information/experiences.

---
Bill

glad you like it, the throttle does take some adjusting too, and the clutch and the 'box - great bike though

I find the lesser engine braking is in all gears and comes in about 3000 revs

Cossy911
08-30-2014, 04:28 PM
These DD12s are as mad as a box of frogs but so much fun so enjoy the thing. I got off the DD and on my Tuono today just for five minutes of normality ! The throttle is mad but you will get used to it

Locky
09-01-2014, 11:51 PM
I changed the front sprocket on my 2011 DD 1200 to a 15t and got much better behaviour in first and second gear.Because of how they test for emissions these bikes are geared way to high.I also installed a set of GPR Furore cans which besides the weight I got rid of make the bike better in traffic because the inside of my legs don't get cooked anymore.Those two mods and the fat duc have made the bike
a blast to drive in traffic in T but I save S for the twisties and Hwy.The 1200 is one of those bikes that are impossible to describe to someone who hasn't ridden one.The whole ended up being much more than the sum of the parts but in two words much more is as good as any......have fun