PDA

View Full Version : Frame cover installation

Blueskeyes
07-20-2014, 07:43 PM
I purchased a pair of CF frame covers and tried installing them this weekend. iI'm using 3M double sided tape and having a monster of a time getting the lower sections near the foot controls to stick. I cleaned the frame with windex and waited until it was hot outside. Is there another way to get these to stick well. Any suggestions? They are really nice BTW. Great layup and clear coat

redratbike
07-21-2014, 01:02 PM
Clear silicon????l

KINDOY2
07-21-2014, 04:17 PM
On stuff like that, I like to use alcohol,, just from the grocery store.. dump a lot on a nice clean rag then scrub the the frame surface and the back of the part, evaporates and drys fast. Then when its nice and clean...."Scotch" makes a really good spray adhesive in a big red and white can, Most good Fabric stores have it and some Hobby shops have it, even some automotive shops..it is great, spray on both surfaces..wait for a few seconds for it to get tacky then press it on and hold it for a couple seconds, your done......works Excellent..better than double sided tape and it sets up and drys FAST, faster than silicone or glue...I'd only use the Scotch stuff as Ive had such good luck with it.
Can be removed later with Alcohol or Goof off if you change things.

cruppelt
07-21-2014, 05:32 PM
On stuff like that, I like to use alcohol,, just from the grocery store.. dump a lot on a nice clean rag then scrub the the frame surface and the back of the part, evaporates and drys fast. Then when its nice and clean...."Scotch" makes a really good spray adhesive in a big red and white can, Most good Fabric stores have it and some Hobby shops have it, even some automotive shops..it is great, spray on both surfaces..wait for a few seconds for it to get tacky then press it on and hold it for a couple seconds, your done......works Excellent..better than double sided tape and it sets up and drys FAST, faster than silicone or glue...I'd only use the Scotch stuff as Ive had such good luck with it.
Can be removed later with Alcohol or Goof off if you change things.

Hold with the alcohol! Do you have a Factory with gold frame? If so look at this recent post first:
http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?293996-Frame-paint-damage-Factory-gold-frame

matty-matt
07-21-2014, 06:31 PM
i used super sticky and thin double sided auto tape after thoroughly degreasing area and holding it in place for a couple days with a few cable ties cinched as tight as i could get them. worked great for me

Tifa
07-22-2014, 07:37 AM
Hilti-Gun.
:)

cruppelt
07-22-2014, 01:49 PM
Hilti-Gun.
:)

:lol::lol::lol:
Those new holes in the frame are reusable, right?

Blueskeyes
07-25-2014, 08:45 AM
I was going to try using a lot of alcohol to clean it but I did previously read the thread about the frame anodizing issue. I have a standard silver frame and I didn't know if that was going to affect it or not. I guess I will clean it and try the zip tie approach

cruppelt
07-25-2014, 03:58 PM
I was going to try using a lot of alcohol to clean it but I did previously read the thread about the frame anodizing issue. I have a standard silver frame and I didn't know if that was going to affect it or not. I guess I will clean it and try the zip tie approach

No problem at all using alcohol on the silver frame, that issue only applies to the gold one.