PDA

View Full Version : Another brown connector question - does it stink?

DontPokeTheBear
07-03-2014, 07:42 PM
Hello all,

I wanted to solicit a little help from the forum. Every so often I smell what seems to be hot wires - but maybe closer to hot dry clutches or rubber. I have visually inspected both brown connectors for discoloration and rigidity, as much of the existing info has suggested, but no issues here. Maybe it's just environmental - it gets hot as Hades here in the DC area, which could be the major source being in all of the traffic.

Thanks in advance,

DPTB

g00gl3it
07-07-2014, 12:06 PM
Have you had any seeping coolant from the water pump? Burning coolant on the pipes also makes a nasty smell... I recently had this happen to mine; just one bolt (the bottom one) was seeping a bit.

Jeff U
07-07-2014, 07:57 PM
I had the same issue on the water pump cover that g00gl3it describes.

I tightened up the bolt and the leak and periodic smell went away.

BlackT5
07-07-2014, 10:35 PM
After I flushed and filled my cooling system system the top right hose at the radiator started leaking. Might be worth looking into. I just replaced all but one behind the oil tank. That one will wait till the next oil change to pull it out of the way.

DontPokeTheBear
07-08-2014, 06:15 AM
Have you had any seeping coolant from the water pump? Burning coolant on the pipes also makes a nasty smell... I recently had this happen to mine; just one bolt (the bottom one) was seeping a bit.

I'll have to check on that as I just installed an EVO shift star, which required me to drain coolant and remove my water pump cover to get the right case cover off. Thanks for the heads up!

DontPokeTheBear
07-08-2014, 06:16 AM
After I flushed and filled my cooling system system the top right hose at the radiator started leaking. Might be worth looking into. I just replaced all but one behind the oil tank. That one will wait till the next oil change to pull it out of the way.

How do you like your Gilles chain adjusters? It seems to me that the factory bolts aren't going to hold up for too many years, and could really stand to be a little more beefy?

BlackT5
07-08-2014, 06:49 AM
I like them a lot. I picked them up used and I know what you mean about the bolts. The hex heads area a little loose. One was worse than the other so I machined a new on in a lathe, only needed a grove for the pins. I'll probably buy a new set of bolts from Gilles at some point. The bolts don't do much so it doesn't bother me.

g00gl3it
07-10-2014, 12:25 AM
You could also have leaking coolant from many of the stock clamps on the cooling system hoses, assuming you haven't already replaced them?

Mine started leaking at 1500 miles and I replaced them around 2k miles.

DontPokeTheBear
07-10-2014, 07:12 AM
You could also have leaking coolant from many of the stock clamps on the cooling system hoses, assuming you haven't already replaced them?

Mine started leaking at 1500 miles and I replaced them around 2k miles.

I only have a couple replaced - I've been lucky so far with no leaks up to 8200mi! That mileage is nuts! It seems like only yesterday that I bought the ol' ape, but I do commute on her about every day.

Tarks
07-12-2014, 07:07 AM
Hello all,

I wanted to solicit a little help from the forum. Every so often I smell what seems to be hot wires - but maybe closer to hot dry clutches or rubber. I have visually inspected both brown connectors for discoloration and rigidity, as much of the existing info has suggested, but no issues here. Maybe it's just environmental - it gets hot as Hades here in the DC area, which could be the major source being in all of the traffic.

Thanks in advance,

DPTB

Clean behind the cover for the front sproket ;) loads of gunk drips out and hits the zorst for a lovely smell.

DontPokeTheBear
07-14-2014, 03:30 PM
Well, when I was doing my usual cleaning routine of washing, drying, flushing the clutch fluid, cleaning and adjusting the chain, etc., I inspected both brown connectors again, and didn't find anything. So, I guess those smells must have been environmental!? Either way, I plan on soldering those wires together this winter when I winterize the bike, drain and shrink the fuel tank - yes I'm another one that's affected - and maybe do some paint mods, so hopefully I will never have an issue!

Tarks
07-23-2014, 07:07 PM
Once a tank has grown will it ever shrink :/ not so sure about that one tbh.

g00gl3it
07-28-2014, 01:12 PM
It will shrink, either by removing it and allowing it to dry for a long time (months?) or by switching to non-ethanol fuels - over time it will also shrink, but probably not as fast as if it were off the bike and dry.

DontPokeTheBear
07-30-2014, 11:17 AM
It will shrink, either by removing it and allowing it to dry for a long time (months?) or by switching to non-ethanol fuels - over time it will also shrink, but probably not as fast as if it were off the bike and dry.

Exactly - I'm not pulling that out of my "arse"! There's a bit of info on this forum about removing the tank, ventilating it, then sealing it to get it back to shape. I plan on doing it this winter when I park the bike for the season.

g00gl3it
07-30-2014, 03:28 PM
I make sure to store mine full of fuel (non-ethanol) along with Mystery Oil and some Seafoam. Never had any issues, and always starts right up in the spring (I do take the battery off, top it off, then shelf it - lithium).

2nd Childhood
07-30-2014, 04:55 PM
One advantage of living where I do is I ride pretty much year round, with a couple of weeks being the longest interval the bikes stay in the garage. Ain't as nice as Southern Cal, Florida, Texas, etc., but good enough. A little rain never hurt no one......