PDA

View Full Version : Aprilia RS4 125 gear change problem. Help?!

Cal_RS
06-23-2014, 01:29 PM
Hi all,

Sorry to post in 50 section(nobody replys on 125 bit!)
The problem is when I'm in 1st gear and attempt to change to second the bike always finds neutral before second and I have to change twice to get from 1st to second. All the other gears past second seem to work although some are hard to get in. I've been through the gears on the paddock stand and they seem to run fine but as soon as the back wheel touches the ground the problem starts again and the gears are really hard to change. The bike has a quickshifter fitted from new and I don't know whether this could cause any problems. Any help much appreciated. Thanks.

Zav
06-23-2014, 01:31 PM
Hi all,

Sorry to post in 50 section(nobody replys on 125 bit!)
The problem is when I'm in 1st gear and attempt to change to second the bike always finds neutral before second and I have to change twice to get from 1st to second. All the other gears past second seem to work although some are hard to get in. I've been through the gears on the paddock stand and they seem to run fine but as soon as the back wheel touches the ground the problem starts again and the gears are really hard to change. The bike has a quickshifter fitted from new and I don't know whether this could cause any problems. Any help much appreciated. Thanks.

youve bent a gear selector from been a heavy footed person and they dont come standard with it its a 100+ addon whats useless as it brakes

and dribing it in air aka on stands will make it worse and most possibly ruin the engine too

RS_Patrick
06-24-2014, 07:49 AM
Sounds like the Clutch isnt fully releasing.

Put the bike in 1st gear, hold the clutch in and rev the engine a little, if theres a feeling that it wants or moves forwards its the clutch.

Also if its worse with a cold engine than with a warm engine you want to change the oil for a high quality premium one like Shell Advance Ultra 4 or Castol Power 1 Racing 4T (Buy Castrol oils at a BP station and Shell at a Shell oils Station as there usualy cheapest there!)

Quickshifter should only work on Upshift and should cut the Ignition for a fraction of a second wen you push the gearpedal to shift up to take the power of the gearbox but basicly they dont work to great on these bikes as the gearbox can not take the punisment it gets from doing that, especaily with a heavy flywheel.
So worst case would be since it already had it installed wen you bought it is that the previous owner trashed the gearbox with it (would be even worse if he used it to shift down also and not just up)

Theres no problem having the bike in a padockstand running trough the gears aslong as you dont let the engine rev to high.

Cal_RS
06-24-2014, 10:10 AM
On the original receipt from new it says quickshifter but I've been comparing images of the standard gear changer compared to a quick shifter and mine seems to have the standard one (must of been taken off by someone).
ive put it in first and held clutch in and it doesn't want to move forward or anything? The chain and sprockets are shagged to be honest and need some new ones but would this make a difference to this problem?

RS_Patrick
06-24-2014, 05:14 PM
yeah, really badly worn chain and sprockets could be part of the problem mate.

You can also try if its just on the upshift to adjust the pedal, easiest way to do that is to take the arm of the shaft on the engine and move it 1 or 2 splines counter clockwise, that should bring the gear pedal slightly down and should make it easier to fully push it up.

Cal_RS
06-25-2014, 02:34 AM
Can't see it been chain and sprockets mate, I've had bikes with bad chain and sprockets and never has it done anything to effect gear changes. I adjusted the arm on the gear selector also and it's all set up right now but still same problem. Downshifts slot in easy and finding neutral is fine when stationary it's just when you start going and especially when your higher up on revs and try change! It will just stay in the same gear and jolt the bike back due to it staying it wrong gear for that speed.
if it was the gear selector arm bent would it be dodgy on downshifts also or just up shifts. Any ideas what else it could be? Thanks.

RS_Patrick
06-25-2014, 05:53 AM
Yeah, could be a bent for or damadged crown from one of the selector gears mate, it can give isues both ways, or just one way.
Like i said, if the previous owner had a Quickshifter on it and did a lot of Clutchless Upshifts (Clutchless Downshifts would do even more damadge) it could be things got damadged from him trashing it.

Really Worn Chain and Sprockets can make it harder to change the gears mate, and if there worn they need to be replaced anyway, so if that solves the problem you got Lucky, otherwise it might be something more problematic with the gearbox it self.

If it was the clutch than you would have problems getting the bike into neutral while standing still, but according to you thats just wen it goes into neutral fine, so i dont think it has to do with the clutch.

Zav
06-25-2014, 06:32 AM
told ya so its most proib the gear selector its a very common problem with the rs4 due to the quick shifter thats why most get removed

even mcn (iking magazine) did a reveiw on one and the gearbox started playing up and they only had it for a day on road on track they said its one of the worst 125 4t bikes for road use but when comes to track use its one of the best even tho its te slowest its the fastest around there track

Cal_RS
06-25-2014, 07:42 AM
Ahh right. I keep looking for parts online for the RS4 but it's very limited. All I seem to be getting is RS parts. Do you know what's best uk site that supply RS4 engine parts as there's not a lot on eBay or aprilia genuine parts sites. It would mean taking gearbox apart then to see what's right and wrong!? Once you take side casing of is it pretty straightforward to see if anythings not right as I'm not really a mechanic so would it be hard to take apart and put back together Patrick? Cheers mate.

RS_Patrick
06-26-2014, 05:45 AM
Would be a bit tricky to see if the forks are bent or not, and like i said it doesnt have to be the forks, could be that the interlocking crowns/pins from the gears it self got damadged.

I dont know those engines at all mate so cant tell if there easy or hard to put together.

I am just wondering, did you ride the bike before buying it??? because if i notice a problem like that i would have walked away, or the price would have had to come down a whole lot so its even worth its price after having the whole engine rebuild.

apriliamandan
06-26-2014, 08:12 AM
Splitting the engine to access the gearbox is no problem Cal_RS, depending how practical you are. Its all about learning, right?

On another note, how does the RS4 125 go like? Handle and brake etc?

Cal_RS
06-26-2014, 09:17 AM
No didn't drive before buying as I wasn't insured and neither was he as it was sorn for around 6months. Only noticed on the ride back and haven't used it since. I'm currently trying to either get my money back or get the bike fully repaired by the guy I bought it off as it's was misrepresentation all the things he told me about the bike and text he sent me etc. legal people said I've got a strong case and that's why I'm not touching the bike for repairs etc until it's solved.

dont know dan! Only just made it home on the ride back and don't know much about the bike as I was taking it easy. Although my mate has one and I've had a ride on that for about 20 mins and it's not too bad, it's obviously not as powerful as my old rs but It's definitely much easier to ride as you can sit at low revs plodding along and turn throttle on and it pulls easier without not having to put it in powerband. Handling is just as good as my rs id say but it's a higher bike and feels much higher too but it's easy too chuck around I prefer riding my rs if I'm off out on a ride with my mates etc but just going around daily the rs4 is much easier and for me also sounds better (not keen on wasp sound).

RS_Patrick
06-26-2014, 06:03 PM
I dont know these engines, and even i wouldnt like splitting the engine and putting it back together with out a proper manual for the engine, if you know how and what to look for wen putting it back together (like stuff that has to line up, does it need to be in a specific gear, how much play does there need to be, etc.) it probably isnt that hard as its just a single cilinder 4 stroke engine, but if you are not familiar with it theres a risk you miss something that had to line up, etc. etc.

Rob Jarvis
01-02-2015, 08:29 AM
Does anyone have a quick shifter installed? I want one, but not sure how easy it is to fit.

cheers

Rob

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u26/robjarvis/Aprilia%20RSV4%20Factory/MISANO/DSCF7398_1_zpse37a2ed5.jpg (http://s164.photobucket.com/user/robjarvis/media/Aprilia%20RSV4%20Factory/MISANO/DSCF7398_1_zpse37a2ed5.jpg.html)

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u26/robjarvis/Aprilia%20RSV4%20Factory/MISANO/DSCF7403_zpsafcc663f.jpg (http://s164.photobucket.com/user/robjarvis/media/Aprilia%20RSV4%20Factory/MISANO/DSCF7403_zpsafcc663f.jpg.html)

Zav
01-02-2015, 06:15 PM
There very easy to fit but I wouldn't recommend it as they mess up the gearbox. I have one on my wr125 what I fitted with my power Commander and had it all setup right but I hardly ever use it

Here's a quick pic of my wr (quick shifter isn't fitted here) http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w653/zav96/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20141026_124550_zpspfsrwops.jpg (http://s1334.photobucket.com/user/zav96/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20141026_124550_zpspfsrwops.jpg.html)

Rob Jarvis
01-05-2015, 08:12 AM
There very easy to fit but I wouldn't recommend it as they mess up the gearbox. I have one on my wr125 what I fitted with my power Commander and had it all setup right but I hardly ever use it

Here's a quick pic of my wr (quick shifter isn't fitted here)

Hi,
Where does the quickshifter connection plug in to?