PDA

View Full Version : My plug colour with 19mm carb

apriliamandan
06-17-2014, 07:54 AM
Hi guys,
Here are a few pictures of my plug, both pictures were taken after a hard long ride, mainly on the main jet the whole time. So pretty accurate....
Its a coffee brown colour, almost text book colour wise.
The bike is running a 19mm carburettor with a STAGE6 80 main jet. Its running great, pulling very well.

What do you think? Up a size, down a size or keep as is?

Many thanks!

Dan

P.S excuse the dirty grimey hands, been working on 2 strokes all the bloody time...

RS_Patrick
06-17-2014, 08:35 AM
To lean... Dont know how much Milk you put in your Coffee mate, but that looks more like Milk with Coffee...

apriliamandan
06-17-2014, 10:27 AM
Okay, anyone elses thoughts on this?

This is what I am going by, my plug matches the 'Normal' photo, so I thought....

The bikes running very well and is running nice and cool too.

Spudgun60
06-17-2014, 10:52 AM
Absolutely nothing wrong with that. It's almost the same as mine.

RS_Patrick
06-17-2014, 11:56 AM
For a 4 stroke it would be good yeah, but not for a 2 stroke... you want it a bit darker.

apriliamandan
06-17-2014, 12:34 PM
I spoke to some old 2 stroke nutters on various 2 stroke pages, they seem to think its spot on. So for now, it'll be left alone and if in the mean time it seizes up, Patrick can give me a slap! ;)

RS_Patrick
06-17-2014, 12:58 PM
Dont think its gonna seize up as it is, but parts will wear out a bit faster, i would go a little richer, atleast check it again wen the weather changes mate.

newman
06-17-2014, 02:48 PM
check up my spark please)

Spudgun60
06-17-2014, 03:52 PM
In my opinion, that's a little lean. The sooty outer ring looks fine, but appears oily. It really should be dry.

RS_Patrick
06-17-2014, 04:27 PM
Its ok, but theres a lot of oil or something on there, even as far as the seal ring... wouldnt be suprised if its water/cooling fluid.

Edit: just saw your remark in the other thread and that explains why your plug looks so oiled up.

apriliamandan
06-17-2014, 04:41 PM
Dont think its gonna seize up as it is, but parts will wear out a bit faster, i would go a little richer, atleast check it again wen the weather changes mate.

Ill keep an eye on it, thanks Patrick. :)

newman
06-18-2014, 02:44 AM
Its ok, but theres a lot of oil or something on there, even as far as the seal ring... wouldnt be suprised if its water/cooling fluid.

Edit: just saw your remark in the other thread and that explains why your plug looks so oiled up.

no oil leaks, no water leaks. just motul scooter power 50:1

nathan k
06-18-2014, 05:18 AM
Dan while that is perfect for optimum power i've always run 2 strokes a smidge rich. I would upjet one size then leave it at that, better safe then sorry and all that.

apriliamandan
06-18-2014, 05:29 AM
Dan while that is perfect for optimum power i've always run 2 strokes a smidge rich. I would upjet one size then leave it at that, better safe then sorry and all that.

Thanks Nathan, I could go up to 2 sizes to an 82 main jet.

RS_Patrick
06-18-2014, 05:33 AM
Try more like i said in my PM to you, and check the mixture screw... because if the mixture screw is to far of from where it should be it can also mess up the overall mixture.

apriliamandan
06-18-2014, 05:58 AM
Try more like i said in my PM to you, and check the mixture screw... because if the mixture screw is to far of from where it should be it can also mess up the overall mixture.

Its running lovely Patrick. Starts on the button, stable idle and very responsive. Aslong as my mixture at WOT is not too lean, I'm happy! :)

RS_Patrick
06-18-2014, 02:31 PM
Thats not my point, my point is if your mixture screw is turned in or out verry far that would mean somethings wrong with the jetting also...

And keep in mind that especaily on higher rpms the engine runs better wen its running a little to lean... trouble is that a 2 stroke needs a "rich" mixture to provide cooling and lubrications to the crank and piston.
I ran my racing setups really leaned out because they produce more power that way, but they need to be rebuild frequently because everythings worn out/burned up (bearings and crank completly purple from heat) not a problem if the company pays the parts though for sponcership.

For street use you want it to be a bit richer so the parts last a while atleast, and you dont have to worrie if you set the bike up on a dry warm afternoon, and than go for a ride on a hazzy cool morning that its gonna seize up than.
Warm dry air contains less oxigen per cubic inch than moist cool air does, so while your setup might be perfect one warm afternoon, it might be much leaner the next morning because of that.