PDA

View Full Version : How to remove headlight unit?

justo316
06-08-2004, 03:56 AM
I just saw a post in the other SR50 forum that showed there is a reflector plate inside the headlight unit. This plate blocks out half the light coming from the bulbs. I've checked my bike and can see it in there, however I have no idea how to get it out.

Can anyone explain to me clearly how to go about removing the whole headlight unit?

Jebediah
06-08-2004, 05:50 AM
u can see it if you remove the bulbs...

but i didnt know that it blocks the light coming from the bulbs? :confused:

justo316
06-08-2004, 05:57 AM
Yeah, I know I can see it if I take the bulbs out. That's how I knew I had them in there. The problem is actually getting the plates out....

When you do look at them, you can see that they would block out half of the bulb.

loveofpeds
06-08-2004, 10:24 AM
I have removed the unit before, to fix my speedometer (it had come unplugged) but in the fixing my left front light came unplugged! Anyway its very straight forward, simply unscrew everything around that area, theres bolts underneath the handlebars, on it...also remove your mirros, its not hard, as long as you remember where everything goes. Its hard to explain it fully without pictures, so I wont, unless you really want me to, but it wont make sense!

justo316
06-08-2004, 11:42 AM
Remove the mirrors? What do the mirrors have to do with anything? Do I have to take off the handle bars?

scootnfast
06-08-2004, 12:01 PM
You have to take off the faring in front of your feet... You know the one that goes around your ignition key. Then there are 2 bolts that hold the headlamp assembly in... I think it is only 2 bolts.

I don't know if it can be removed without taking the whole front faring off. I have never attempted it. The only time I had it off was when the entire thing was disassembled.

TiminIndy
06-08-2004, 12:02 PM
I believe there's something in the owner's manual that tells you how. Of course this is the same manual that tells you to take off the side panels to change the spark plug. This can easily be done from underneath without removing anything.

jaguar65
06-08-2004, 12:04 PM
I don't believe that plate can be removed easily, it dips the beam of your lamps although I doubt that full beam would make a great deal of difference with the weedy lamps inside the tubes.

justo316
06-08-2004, 12:27 PM
Firstly, there's nothing in the manual. It tells you how to change a bulb, but not how to remove the whole assembly. Nor does it say how to take the whole front faring off.

Secondly, I'm sure the plate can be removed easily, cos I can see it is held on by a small screw.

The problem with removing it, is that if you do undo the screw (which is really far in), you can't get the plate out, cos it won't fit through the hole where the globe goes.

I realise the bulbs are only 15W, but what else can I do? I can't replace them with higher wattage ones cos the shit inside will melt supposedly. And, I'm not prepared to spend big $$$ on the whole replacement unit from Germany that Haribolman has. Well, not yet anyway.

The plate blocks at least half of the globe! Removing it MUST do something?!

jaguar65
06-08-2004, 01:51 PM
Has anyone tried bolstering the effects of the 15W bulbs by introducing super bright white LEDs into the tube? I had planned to mount super bright blue ones inside the tube to give a blue tint to the light, giving a xenon effect. I know that LEDs are not bright enough on their own, but would they have much of an effect if used in addition to the bulb?

ditechspain
06-08-2004, 02:18 PM
i think there is a recent post on the non ditech sr 50 part of the board. I think the plates are for a side light bulb fitting, though how anything could be dimmer than the bulbs we have escapes me.

Fromnm memory, this is one of DRT's wheezes.

Jebediah
06-09-2004, 01:19 AM
original ditech has 15w regular bulbs

i have 20w halogenic bulbs

yes its true, there is a small amount of plastic, but it ments only one time, then you just rub it off and it will not happen again

btw, i would buy that kit from germany, but nobody answers on emails :confused:

Haribolman
06-09-2004, 01:57 AM
To justo316, to remove the refelctor plate (which is designed to provide a permanent dipped beam) you must remove the entire headlight assembly. To do this, not only do you need to remove the panel in front of your feet (around the ignition...where I have my gay pink and silver bag!!...just kidding), you also need to remove the flexible black plastic panel directly under the headlight unit (as in photo below). The unit is then removed down through the opening between the headlight and the top of the wheel arch.

Haribolman
06-09-2004, 01:59 AM
You then have to remove the front lens (it's a shit of a job, the silicon holds on like concrete!) and then the inner assembly removes through the front of the light. then you pull the assembly apart to remove the inner tubes, and then pull them apart to remove the reflector. But I think that removing it would make the light worse. You would find the light just disappears into thin air without any focus at all.

Haribolman
06-09-2004, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by Jebediah
i have 20w halogenic bulbs

yes its true, there is a small amount of plastic, but it ments only one time, then you just rub it off and it will not happen again

Jebediah, how have you got around the problem with the inner tubes going black on their insides?

As soon as the halogen heats up, the inside of the tube melts, bubbles and goes black. And as soon as that happens you loose all focus and end up with large black spots being reflected onto the road. This is because the inside of the tube is the reflector and as soon as it gets hot and melts, the silver coating melts off and goes black. Black does not reflect well!

That is why ex-technik replaces the two inner tubes with tubes made from heavy duty plastic THAT DO NOT MELT! The inside of the new tubes are black, not silver. They also do away with the inner lens altogether because the halogen globes they use do not need it.

This photo shows the inside of one of the tubes, AFTER it had melted and I resprayed it silver to try and get the reflective surface to work again. However, it didn't! If you look carefully at the rear of the tube near the globe you can see some of the bubbled plastic.

Jebediah
06-09-2004, 03:07 AM
myah...my lights still work better compare to the other ditechs i see here

i still would like those lights...but i dont know where to get them :(

justo316
06-09-2004, 04:35 AM
Thanks Haribolman for some decent instructions! Now I gotta weigh up the potential benefits/time effort cost.

Reecho
06-10-2004, 06:31 AM
Still want a Ex-Technik conversion for mine!!!

Haribolman
06-11-2004, 03:59 AM
Ok, following on from the photo of the inner light "tubes", I need to explain the difference in construction between the Aprilia light tubes and the ex-technik ones. The Aprilia light has two tubes each with a globe at one end shining light down the tube, past the reflector (restricting metal plate) and then out through the curved inner lens through to the outer lens and onto the road (almost!!) :p: It's no wonder there's no light left to light the road...it has to travel so far from the rear of the tube!

The ex-technik conversion is very simple. The Aprilia's two round tubes and round clear lenses are removed altogether and replacement halogen globes are mounted at the front of the headlight, where the original lenses were. So the globes shine directly out through the remaining outer lens of the headlight. They don't shine through a tube, or past a restrictor. Yet somehow they manage to focus on the road quite well. The replacement tubes mount behind the globes and actually hold the globes in place. The assembly is very simple and yet works very well. I believe it is way overpriced, but I see no other effective alternative.

Haribolman
06-11-2004, 04:00 AM
and again

joneal
08-21-2008, 09:26 PM
To justo316, to remove the refelctor plate (which is designed to provide a permanent dipped beam) you must remove the entire headlight assembly. To do this, not only do you need to remove the panel in front of your feet (around the ignition...where I have my gay pink and silver bag!!...just kidding), you also need to remove the flexible black plastic panel directly under the headlight unit (as in photo below). The unit is then removed down through the opening between the headlight and the top of the wheel arch.

Will these instructions work for an '02 SR50?

TiminIndy
08-21-2008, 09:40 PM
They are talking about replacing the light setup in the headlights for Europe and Australia, which had two bulbs in the pre R Factory models. The US setup like you have was way better than what they had, but still sucked.

You will be better off reading this thread:

US Headlight Mods (http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32453&highlight=ba20d)

Haribolman
08-22-2008, 06:29 AM
They are talking about replacing the light setup in the headlights for Europe and Australia, which had two bulbs in the pre R Factory models. The US setup like you have was way better than what they had, but still sucked.

You will be better off reading this thread:

US Headlight Mods (http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32453&highlight=ba20d)

Well, talk about reliving the past. Wow, a thread from 4 years ago! Can't believe I was even alive then! Whether you have the US or Euro headlight, there's now another choice for upgrading your headlights.

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73720&highlight=ricey+lights