PDA

View Full Version : Engine braking issue

Mr.Dorso
06-11-2014, 01:27 AM
So recently, under engine braking, bike seems like it's losing compression or something.. 100km/h in 4th gear try to engine brake the engine seems like it loses compression, or clutch is slipping.. I don't know, and neither do the aprilia technicians! Details of bike have been sent off to italy including parameters so they can assess..

It happens very little in other gears but still happens, very noticeable in 4th gear. The throttle seems twitchy also and since picked up from dealer 1st gear now has a little pop just before i take off like it's backfiring or going to stall... This engine braking issue is not fun when you're relying on it to slow u down and it starts bucking you around in the saddle!

Any one have any ideas please??
:bangwall:

trainman
06-11-2014, 02:02 AM
So recently, under engine braking, bike seems like it's losing compression or something.. 100km/h in 4th gear try to engine brake the engine seems like it loses compression, or clutch is slipping.. I don't know, and neither do the aprilia technicians! Details of bike have been sent off to italy including parameters so they can assess..

It happens very little in other gears but still happens, very noticeable in 4th gear. The throttle seems twitchy also and since picked up from dealer 1st gear now has a little pop just before i take off like it's backfiring or going to stall... This engine braking issue is not fun when you're relying on it to slow u down and it starts bucking you around in the saddle!

Any one have any ideas please??
:bangwall:

since had the latest map installed (stock bike) I have noticed at high speed initial engine braking is strong but after a while as speed comes off it seem to switch to a lesser effect, its fairly predictable and I actually like it as standard effect is too harsh, and I am constantly feathering the clutch - yours sounds more random?

Mr.Dorso
06-11-2014, 04:08 AM
I've noticed that also, haven't been able to get used to it as I kept thinking it was something to do with this other issue.. I also had standard mapping put back on recently. This other issue is definitely more random, like it goes into neutral then engine braking comes back on, it all happens very quickly and multiple times.

trainman
06-11-2014, 06:46 AM
if its pretty much at the same speed and same gear always I suspect fuelling or a map issue, has it happened ever since the last map change?

if it was clutch I would suspect it would happen in any gear when you have a high torque load (accelrating or on the run down), by the way I dont believe these things have slipper clutches?

quite often these issues start happening after a service or a mod is done, is this the case or has it just appeared from no where?

Mr.Dorso
06-11-2014, 06:53 PM
Yes, bike wouldn't run above 6/7000rpm so they changed mapping back to standard as arrow mapping was way to rich, solved one problem and another appeared..!! :confused:

TheBuilder
06-11-2014, 10:06 PM
That sounds a lot like what mine is doing. Not so much the odd engine breaking but the pop back through the air box for sure. It happened bad enough it stalled the bike at a stop light once.
I also had the most recent stock map put back in the bike.

Mr.Dorso
06-24-2014, 08:20 PM
So now into 3rd week waiting for italy to get back to the dealer, must be a lot of parameters to read.. :pissed:

Mr.Dorso
06-24-2014, 08:22 PM
no one else experienced snappy engine braking when high revs in 4th since update?

Mr.Dorso
06-26-2014, 12:14 AM
Heard from dealer, italy said it's faulty demand sensor, waiting for new one to arrive.. 2nd demand sensor gone in less than 2 years, and around same time as other one, after approx. 10,000km's

Mr.Dorso
07-12-2014, 05:11 PM
Demand sensor replaced & still the same issue with engine braking, will be going in again next week, anyone have any idea what this could be?

trainman
07-13-2014, 04:25 AM
maybe ask them to go back to an older version of the standard map, just to see? is bike stock have exhausts been changed etc, either way trying a standard map you have not used before may move things on?

Mike06
07-13-2014, 05:20 AM
I read on the italian DD forum that many owners have this problem with the new map.
They advised the Aprilia factory in Noale and await their response.

Here's the link for those who understand Italian :
http://lnx.dorsoduroforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=11701

Mr.Dorso
07-13-2014, 04:32 PM
maybe ask them to go back to an older version of the standard map, just to see? is bike stock have exhausts been changed etc, either way trying a standard map you have not used before may move things on?
Thanks trainman. They've tried all maps and it seems different issues with each, also I don't think you can go back to older maps, can only be updated - Dorso 1200 2012 with Arrow pipes, baffles out and run in sport mode

Mr.Dorso
07-13-2014, 04:35 PM
I read on the italian DD forum that many owners have this problem with the new map.
They advised the Aprilia factory in Noale and await their response.

Here's the link for those who understand Italian :
http://lnx.dorsoduroforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=11701

Now I wish I learnt Italian when I was younger!