PDA

View Full Version : Stopping a Mild Steel Exhaust Rusting

nathan k
06-02-2014, 05:21 AM
How can i keep it looking perfect, while storing the bike outside and using it all year around? I don't want to high temp paint it, ruins it imho. I've seen high tempt clear coat on ebay..and i've also heard of using WD40? Would that need cleaning every day?

It's for a custom exhaust on my new project, so not quite RS50 but y'know...similar enough.

I'm sure this will help many of you with those new shiny mild steel exhausts.

Zav
06-02-2014, 05:37 AM
How can i keep it looking perfect, while storing the bike outside and using it all year around? I don't want to high temp paint it, ruins it imho. I've seen high tempt clear coat on ebay..and i've also heard of using WD40? Would that need cleaning every day?

It's for a custom exhaust on my new project, so not quite RS50 but y'know...similar enough.

I'm sure this will help many of you with those new shiny mild steel exhausts.

Wd40 everyday after ever ride

or just make it out stainless ahaa

RS_Patrick
06-02-2014, 07:11 AM
Coat it with Teflon/PTFE, you aply it on the parts that are behind the fairings and only rub it out a little on the parts that are in view.

I use TurtleWax with PTFE/Teflon for it.

Works great as my 15 year old exhaust still hasnt rusted.

apriliamandan
06-02-2014, 10:46 AM
Keep it clean and away from road salt, should be fine. An oily rag over the exhaust every now and then will also help.

Tbh, if the bikes being used daily, it needs paint or clear coat.

RS_Patrick
06-02-2014, 11:21 AM
Tbh, if the bikes being used daily, it needs paint or clear coat.

Not if you got it coated with Teflon/PTFE.

rexfan10
06-02-2014, 01:17 PM
I might try this teflon stuff you speak of,
Im currently just covering the mild steel parts of my arrow street exhaust with wd40 and wiping them down everyday, however after about 2 or 3 weeks of owning it its already started to go browny/yellow in colour :(

apriliamandan
06-02-2014, 02:49 PM
I might try this teflon stuff you speak of,
Im currently just covering the mild steel parts of my arrow street exhaust with wd40 and wiping them down everyday, however after about 2 or 3 weeks of owning it its already started to go browny/yellow in colour :(

Paint is black Rex.

nathan k
06-02-2014, 03:00 PM
Thanks for the replys.

It's going on a DT so will be on view, the main part really. Chrome isn't an option due to the fact it's custom made...If i was to HT clear coat it and use WD 40 would it be possible to stop ALL rust?

RS_Patrick
06-02-2014, 04:20 PM
The pipes will Always discolour from the heat to a gold/browinsh colour.

WD40 doesnt protect the exhaust, to protect it you need something Teflon/PTFE based as it leaves a protective coating.