PDA

View Full Version : do i buy a 750 or a 1200

mr fun factory
06-01-2014, 11:31 AM
howdy people

i realy fancy gettting a dorsa my heart was set on the 750 as when i test rode it brought instant confidenice ie i felt like i could put my leg out like super moto rider on the roundabouts the only draw back is the 12 litre fuel tank as sometimes i do like a long distance blat and out for the day and also longer trips when out with my mates so could be limted with a 750? is the 1200 just like the 750 in the fun aspect is there any difference in weight handleing and tyre life etc, would be instrested to hear peoples views i cant get the 750 out my head simply because you can near enough wang the throttle open with out thinking shit there another 50 horse power i can use but hmmm the 7 i can use it all

extreme67
06-01-2014, 04:05 PM
Go for the 1200 it's more fun, it's a bit wider and a little more heavy, the 750 feels a bit smoother and likes tight corners little bit more because of it size. About the tires, the wear is a little bit more on the 1200 because of the bigger engine. The gas tank is bigger on the 1200 and u get more miles on the 1200 than on the 750. My opinion is that the 750 has a little lack of power and u have to keep shifting and being on the higher rews to keep it going the 1200 just goes :-)
I have a frien that has the 750 and I like driving it when the corners get tight, but u can get the 1200 go quick around the corners to u just have to get to know the bike :-) I just trade my 1200 for aTuono v4 APRC and that bike scares the crapp out of me. Hope this helps u to shoose bike either way u will be happy it's a great bike.
Best regards Micke

xactoman
06-02-2014, 08:04 AM
I kind of did the same debate. But in the end, more HP wins, right?
If you have any experience with big bikes you will want to go with the 1200. Once you get use to it, it's a pretty manageable bike and not nearly as insane as naked liter bikes. You will be glad you went for the bigger motor. Both bikes weigh about the same, and the 1200 just handles brilliantly. It's not as slick as a tiny super motard, but it's a pretty nimble beast for a 1200.

They are getting harder to find here in the states...maybe not the same over there. I would snag one if you can find it for a good price.

trainman
06-02-2014, 10:25 AM
I can only speak for the 1200, stock bike with latest fuel map gives me about 40mpg on the open road if you take it fairly easy. If you cane it or ride in town expect about 30-33 at the most. With all the power you will ride I hard sometimes so any gain in fuel tank size is lost really! Also the 1200 is not sold in the UK new now so would expect used value might hold up better than a 750 as there will be those that are after a big SM type bike and there’s not much (good) completion (KTM and pricey Duke’s). Theres a pre reg 1200 on MCN, £8500 (never used) including an extra set of better pipes??!!

trainman
06-02-2014, 10:27 AM
I can only speak for the 1200, stock bike with latest fuel map gives me about 40mpg on the open road if you take it fairly easy. If you cane it or ride in town expect about 30-33 at the most.
With all the power you will ride it hard sometimes so any gain in fuel tank size is lost really!
Also the 1200 is not sold in the UK new now so would expect used value might hold up better than a 750 as there will be those that are after a big SM type bike and there’s not much (good) completion (KTM and pricey Duke’s).
Theres a pre reg 1200 on MCN, £8500 (never used) including an extra set of better pipes??!!

lanter
06-02-2014, 08:25 PM
I had them both and 1200 all the way!!

haga lout
06-03-2014, 06:24 AM
just to throw a spanner in the works id get the 750 over the 12 tank range [750=100miles]the 12 has a bigger tank but is crap on fuel i ride with a bloke with a 12 and he allways needs petrol 1st . power the 12 has lots more but in real life the 750 will do 130 at that speed its blowing your head off. On uk roads the 750 is lighter turns better and is cheeper to run .They only sold just over 50 1200s in the uk before stoping inporting them so the parts on shop shelfs for the 12 will be less . get a 750 factory they have better a shock and proper 100mm radial brakes than the standard 750 if its all about power for you go look at the tuono v4 or the super duke r

mr fun factory
06-03-2014, 12:25 PM
thanks for the input i am coming from a factory tuono 2008 that was fun but those blue wheels was an arse to keep clean and when you feel like a change you gotta do it i sold the tuono looked at the v4 only in yellow i wouldnt have it any other colour but though nah i dont need to be scared coz i cant access all that power to the full ok if i was loaded yeah i would have one and a dorsa but back in the real world:) ok so they dont do the dorsa 12 over here its a rare bike which makes me think shit thats gonna be a pain to sell on as not many people realy know about aprilia bikes tbh there mental with soul ducati cant make anything to the same spec and then price it right but shoosh dont tell aprilia:)

dfriz
06-03-2014, 01:55 PM
I had them both and 1200 all the way!!

Me Too 1200's a Beast

Cossy911
06-05-2014, 05:16 PM
howdy people

i realy fancy gettting a dorsa my heart was set on the 750 as when i test rode it brought instant confidenice ie i felt like i could put my leg out like super moto rider on the roundabouts the only draw back is the 12 litre fuel tank as sometimes i do like a long distance blat and out for the day and also longer trips when out with my mates so could be limted with a 750? is the 1200 just like the 750 in the fun aspect is there any difference in weight handleing and tyre life etc, would be instrested to hear peoples views i cant get the 750 out my head simply because you can near enough wang the throttle open with out thinking shit there another 50 horse power i can use but hmmm the 7 i can use it all

I just bought the 1200, fitted tyres got the map updated, rode it to the TT and got nothing but smiles all over my face. I don't care there aren't many in the UK and it just adds to the mystique when people see it. As for the parts will be hard to get argument that's a bit daft. I know guys with Ducati bikes that have to wait weeks for bits. It's just part and parcel of owning an Italian bike. Live a little and get the 1200

mr fun factory
06-13-2014, 05:26 PM
ok will still sitting on the fence with this, ive seen some 1200,s for sale some with abs and tc and some with out dont think it makes much difference tbh , i from a resale point of view maybe the abs is/t is a better bet but realy thinking about it it dont matter a hoot??

there not gonna hold there money either way thats the way they are bloody good bikes with soul etc and they dont hold there value for the life of me i cant see why but hey i am prepared to let it remain a secret happy days and all that:) ive had a rice burner yes there good but aprilia lights my fire more than most bikes

Cossy911
06-14-2014, 04:51 PM
You have to go with your heart ! I couldn't care less about resale values it's how the bike makes you feel that matters. Rice rockets have no character or soul, they just do what it says on the tin. Aprilia bikes just do it better and with more style. Get the 1200 DD !