PDA

View Full Version : How notchy should the gearbox be?

spank36
05-26-2014, 03:10 AM
Hey guys, I'm looking at getting a dorsoduro 1200. I test rode one a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed it, unfortunately it sold by the time I rung them back to buy it. I tested another one that popped up today but found the gearbox much more notchy. Up shifts seemed ok but downshifts needed some proper forcing down at times. I know once I adjust it exactly to my foot and that it will be slightly better, but it seemed a fair bit worse than the last bike (I thought the gearbox was fine on that and great on a 750 I rode). They also had the baffles in the arrows and it sounded like crap which was really off putting but that couldn't be helped. Are there any known problems with the gearboxes or are they pretty bulletproof?

trainman
05-26-2014, 08:04 AM
Hey guys, I'm looking at getting a dorsoduro 1200. I test rode one a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed it, unfortunately it sold by the time I rung them back to buy it. I tested another one that popped up today but found the gearbox much more notchy. Up shifts seemed ok but downshifts needed some proper forcing down at times. I know once I adjust it exactly to my foot and that it will be slightly better, but it seemed a fair bit worse than the last bike (I thought the gearbox was fine on that and great on a 750 I rode). They also had the baffles in the arrows and it sounded like crap which was really off putting but that couldn't be helped. Are there any known problems with the gearboxes or are they pretty bulletproof?

mines almost done 10,000 miles and the down shifts are still notchy, especially at slow speeds and in the lower gears, sometimes 2nd to neutral is impossible and you end up hitting first and then toeing up, and its def better to get neutral whilst moving and not at a stop

I believe the 750 is bit better maybe down to a smaller clutch? which maybe also explains the stiff clutch lever action on the 1200, the 'box and clutch do somewhat spoil things but you get used to it!

jasonmachine
05-26-2014, 01:44 PM
Hi Spank...Trainman is spot on with what he said. I often end up missing a gear on the downshift because you really have to force it down most times, which ends up sounding horribly raspy as it tries to grip the gears teeth if you dont. I suppose it will make a good bit of difference with the shoes/boots you wear, as a harder material in the boots will help get the shift in properly, as opposed to soft sneakers or other textile shoes.
As far as I know, the gearboxes are strong and realiable even after prolonged punishment.
Hope you find a good Dorso to buy!

spank36
05-26-2014, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the replies boys. Sounds exactly like this one which is good to know. I swear the last one I rode was better but I was also wearing my worn in boots not my new ones.

I'm hoping I find a really good one, the last one was a great deal but someone beat me to it!

lanter
05-27-2014, 08:08 AM
Frequent oil change does smooth out the gear box.

airbus330
05-29-2014, 09:02 AM
Just a thought, I altered the position of the gear lever on its spline (by I think 2 groves) as I have an ankle problem and couldn't get comfortable with the standard position. All well, but I noted that the gear change was heavier after the modification. No obvious reason for this, other than a few millimetres of moment.
Oil change helps too.