PDA

View Full Version : Using coolant :(

LEWINS
05-18-2014, 02:13 PM
Hi, my aprilia sx 50 is burning coolant, I top the bottle up before I take it out, let it run for 10-15 mins and my cylinder head gets really hot but my raidiator doesn't, so I checked the water again before riding and it was still full and quite warm, I rode it over my grandmothers about 5 miles away from me and I didnt flog it, just a nice easy ride, then when I got there my cylinder head was extremely hot and my radiator was warm, also there was no coolant in the bottle and the exhaust is chucking coolant onto my licence plate,
anyone know what it is?

Zav
05-18-2014, 02:41 PM
Head gaskets gone

LEWINS
05-18-2014, 03:19 PM
Head gaskets gone
how do I replace it?

Pranja
05-18-2014, 03:40 PM
how do I replace it?

Buy new ones, remove head and replace gasket. You have to drain all remaining coolant, remove spark plug and four nuts on head.

LEWINS
05-18-2014, 04:05 PM
Buy new ones, remove head and replace gasket. You have to drain all remaining coolant, remove spark plug and four nuts on head.

Is it a hard and expensive job?

Pranja
05-18-2014, 04:09 PM
Is it a hard and expensive job?

No, acctully it's very easy and fast job. Event if you are slow, you should be done in one hour.

Price depends of store and living locaion, but gasket set should be around 17 $.

LEWINS
05-18-2014, 04:16 PM
No, acctully it's very easy and fast job. Event if you are slow, you should be done in one hour.

Price depends of store and living locaion, but gasket set should be around 17 $.

I feel cheeky but could I have a step by step?

Pranja
05-18-2014, 04:23 PM
I can describe procedure on RS50.

1.Remove spark plug and temp sensor wiring.

2.Drain all coolant(you need to nre coolant cap) via screw on waterpump and remove hoses on head

3.remove four nuts onhead

4.Remove head

5. Remove old head gasket

6.Place new gasket

7. Put everthing bck and fill cooling system

LEWINS
05-18-2014, 04:54 PM
I can describe procedure on RS50.

1.Remove spark plug and temp sensor wiring.

2.Drain all coolant(you need to nre coolant cap) via screw on waterpump and remove hoses on head

3.remove four nuts onhead

4.Remove head

5. Remove old head gasket

6.Place new gasket

7. Put everthing bck and fill cooling system what about bleeding the coolant system and torking down the head bolts? and what do i need to do to cap?

RS_Patrick
05-18-2014, 04:57 PM
A: First Drain the Cooling Fluid!!! or otherwise whats left in the cooling system is gonna drain into the crankcase and than you got a bigger problem, than continue as above...

B: The gasket failed for a reason, did you mees with the cilinderbolts? if not it might be the cooling pump has failed causing the engine to overheat and the gaskets to blow, posible theres more damadge than, but if you turn the flywheel with the cilinderhead off so the piston moves to its lowes position you sould be able to tell if theres damadge to the barrel.
What ever you do try to figure out why the gasket started leaking.

Pranja
05-18-2014, 05:00 PM
Sry Lewis, this forums has big lag. I wated to type you to remove coolant cap. If you dont, coolant wont drain.

LEWINS
05-18-2014, 05:06 PM
A: First Drain the Cooling Fluid!!! or otherwise whats left in the cooling system is gonna drain into the crankcase and than you got a bigger problem, than continue as above...

B: The gasket failed for a reason, did you mees with the cilinderbolts? if not it might be the cooling pump has failed causing the engine to overheat and the gaskets to blow, posible theres more damadge than, but if you turn the flywheel with the cilinderhead off so the piston moves to its lowes position you sould be able to tell if theres damadge to the barrel.
What ever you do try to figure out why the gasket started leaking.
could the gasket blow off wear

RS_Patrick
05-18-2014, 05:28 PM
Not really, theres basicly no wear on the gasket, could dry out or get baked by the heat thoug especaily if the pump isnt working properly (because it failed or the system isnt properly bleeded).

Most of the time i see leaking headgaskets its because the cilinderhead wasnt tightened bit by bit in a crosslike patern and the head warped, sometimes not enough for the gasket to blow out, but just enough to let the combustion gassess to burn the gasket in one spot so it becomes burned and breaks after a while.

LEWINS
05-18-2014, 05:50 PM
How do I bleed the system correctly? Because when I looked for that screw you told me about I couldn't find it

RS_Patrick
05-18-2014, 06:48 PM
Its the most forward positioned bolt on the waterpump, think its marked also.

But just bleeding it isnt gonna help you...

LEWINS
05-19-2014, 01:50 AM
Its the most forward positioned bolt on the waterpump, think its marked also.

But just bleeding it isnt gonna help you...
Any pics? And what else do I need to do then?

RS_Patrick
05-19-2014, 04:34 AM
Didnt i already give you a link to a workshop manual??? its all in there mate.

Zav
05-19-2014, 09:21 AM
not to be a nob head but

if you cant do it (what i would be very surprised if cant as its only 4 bolts then another 4 under cover and heads off ) get a garage its only a hour job

RS_Patrick
05-19-2014, 11:56 AM
Zav is right, if you dont know what your doing even after i gave you the workshop manual take it to a garage... its not even an hours worth of work.

Zav
05-19-2014, 12:03 PM
It is in England as you need a fag break ever 5 mins and a cuppa ever 10 ;) but yeah if do it your self it's a 10 min job specialy as you have a sumo so it's even Easyer to take head off unlike a rs I did I full top end rebuild on my Rx without even removing a a panel or tank or seat it's that easy and you have even more room

LEWINS
05-19-2014, 01:54 PM
It is in England as you need a fag break ever 5 mins and a cuppa ever 10 ;) but yeah if do it your self it's a 10 min job specialy as you have a sumo so it's even Easyer to take head off unlike a rs I did I full top end rebuild on my Rx without even removing a a panel or tank or seat it's that easy and you have even more room
asked a garage today, he wants 50 for 2hrs labour, what do you think? And will everything go back together of the head is warped? I don't want to completely fuck my bike haha, it still runs well as it is, and yes I will stop every 5 mins for a fag and 10 for a cuppa ;) hahahaha that made me laugh

Spudgun60
05-19-2014, 03:01 PM
50 for 2 hours is pretty cheap. 50 for 1 hour is the norm around these parts. A warped head is quite possible. Doesn't matter how hard you screw it down, it won't quite be right. One thing I can recommend though. That's a torque wrench. It'll ensure that the 4 nuts are screwed down with the same pressure.

RS_Patrick
05-19-2014, 04:19 PM
2 hours work? i dont think it should take 2 hours on your bike but 50 GPB sounds good to me.