PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Headlights???

darkangelxam
05-14-2014, 08:24 AM
Ok I was just curious if anyone knows where you can get some "affordable" aftermarket LH RH headlight assemblys at? The guy I bought my 07 Tuono from had a someone put some LEDs in the headlight assemblys I have now. Although they look really good when on the tape they used to secure them are coming up and I'm a bit of a perfectionist and would rather not split the headlights into 2 pieces just to fix the issue. So I was wondering if theres a place that sells the assemblys that arent stock. And yes I've googled it over and over and do all day as my state taxpayers and paying me to surf the net. Gotta love government jobs =) Thanks

g00gl3it
05-15-2014, 02:23 AM
Are you talking about just the bulbs and bulb sockets? or the actual headlight housing?

I took out the front end on my T at the track, had to replace both LH/RH housings.

FWIW, I bought the non-DOT version for MUCH cheaper than the DOT version. They looked identical and I don't notice any difference in light spread/output.

darkangelxam
05-16-2014, 08:26 AM
Yes the housings themselves. Where did you get them?

g00gl3it
05-16-2014, 01:36 PM
Yes the housings themselves. Where did you get them?

I replied to your PM, but here is some information to share:

Euro lights
RH Headlight - AP8127371
LH Headlight - Ap8127372

One place to get them: http://apriliasuperstore.com/i-11723944-rh-headlight.html

Common disclaimer - these are probably not DOT approved. And since you don't need headlights on a racetrack, the only other reason to buy these would be off-road use only. Understood? :-D

blubayou
05-22-2014, 02:49 PM
I did the same thing as g00gleit had no problems with install or the appearance. If you examine the reflective material there is a notable difference but I can't tell at night. Considering the cost difference it's worth IT!

DanV990
05-22-2014, 02:57 PM
The US reflectors are designed to send a portion of the beam up and to the right to make it easier to read road signs. The UK reflectors do the same but go up and left instead. Using the UK reflectors here in the US will send that portion of the beam directly into the eyes of on coming traffic. You have to ask yourself if it is really worth saving a few hundred dollars to have a greater possibility of blinding oncoming traffic at night and having them run into you. Not worth the risk in my opinion.

londonsean69
05-22-2014, 06:43 PM
The US reflectors are designed to send a portion of the beam up and to the right to make it easier to read road signs. The UK reflectors do the same but go up and left instead. Using the UK reflectors here in the US will send that portion of the beam directly into the eyes of on coming traffic. You have to ask yourself if it is really worth saving a few hundred dollars to have a greater possibility of blinding oncoming traffic at night and having them run into you. Not worth the risk in my opinion.

We are 'meant' to fit deflectors to our headlights when driving in Europe. I don't know anybody who does, and there are not scores of multiple pile ups :) Just saying. The deflectors are about 4.

DanV990
05-22-2014, 06:59 PM
While there may not be scores of accidents, it only takes one if it is you. Just saying.

g00gl3it
05-23-2014, 01:56 AM

After having had both halves of both part #'s in my hands and poring over them for a good hour, even taking some measurements (as best I could without being able to reach inside) I could find no difference between the two lights. Even by gauging the alignment of the reflector with the creases in the casing and mounting points, it was all exactly the same to the naked eye.

Putting my bike facing a wall with another T with stock lights facing a wall, there is absolutely no difference in light dispersion. FWIW.

So if there is a difference, it's very small. No one coming at me would know any different. I've also been running these lights for a year now, and have yet to have anyone flash their lights at me due to mine being too bright.