PDA

View Full Version : Gearing changes?

SquireSCA
05-13-2014, 03:00 PM
My 2009 Factory came with a 15T front sprocket, but the bike is still geared too tall for a naked bike on the street. I don't want to make it too buzzy, but at the same time, 80mph indicated on the freeway is a scant 4800rpm on the tach, so there is room to play.

I ordered a 42T rear sprocket today from AF1. Went with steel, not worth sacrificing durability for a pound of weight savings.

My question is, does this bike pick up for the speedo from the rear wheel, like a Ducati, so that I don't have to do anything to recalibrate the speedo? I have had to use Speedo-Healers on various bikes over the years, but the Duc's never required it and I am hoping that this bike is the same?

The sprocket that is on there now is a black, 40T unit made by SunStar. Is that stock? Chain is a Regina, so I don't know if the former owner swapped it all out for a "quick acceleration" kit... I dunno, it does appear to be in the 525 pitch. Took a 520 front sprocket and placed it in the chain and the teeth had plenty of play, so the chain is larger than 520...

2nd Childhood
05-13-2014, 03:27 PM
I've read where you don't need to recalibrate the speedometer when making sprocket changes and my personal experience (went from 16T to 15T up front) confirms it.

gspat
05-13-2014, 05:14 PM
525 regina and sunstar 40 are stock.15/42 works well.no healer needed

SquireSCA
05-13-2014, 05:16 PM
Ok, cool, my 42t should be here soon. Thanks!

twistyrider
05-16-2014, 03:19 PM
The speed sensor is located on the other side of the bike, by the rear brake rotor so changing gearing has no effect on the speedometer reading.

SquireSCA
05-16-2014, 03:27 PM
The speed sensor is located on the other side of the bike, by the rear brake rotor so changing gearing has no effect on the speedometer reading.

Cool. Put the 42T on last night for a 15/42 combo now. Only downside was what a pain in the ass it was to get the wheel off and swap the sprocket and get it back together.

The axle took 10 minutes to get out so the wheel could come off. It was well greased, no burrs or defects, not sure why it took so much to get out. And trying to juggle the wheel, axle, caliper and all that to get it back together properly... Maybe I am just spoiled as my last two bikes(Triumph and Ducati) had single sided swingarms... LOL

Anyway, got it installed and I will take it for a spin shortly.

2nd Childhood
05-16-2014, 04:08 PM
Just for grins, I downloaded a speedometer app to my phone and checked it against my speedometer. Both showed the same top speed and no, I'm not saying what it was, other than a "bit" more than the posted speed limit.