PDA

View Full Version : oem side cases

dadsafrantic
05-04-2014, 10:39 PM
is it supposed to250831250830 look like this?

dadsafrantic
05-04-2014, 11:03 PM

this doesn't look right.

fredaroony
05-04-2014, 11:16 PM
There is supposed to be a metal clip there.

robertp
05-04-2014, 11:18 PM
There is supposed to be a metal clip there.

keithc
05-05-2014, 02:08 AM
And the plastic bits seem missing too.

Keith C

saintrider1
05-05-2014, 08:40 AM
Just keep putting the beer on the Barbie, it'll all turn out right eventually.

nisbeam
05-05-2014, 10:35 AM
Have a look at this thread http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?274820-DANGER-pannier-can-fall-off-and-how-to-fix-it

Ed / AF1 Racing
05-05-2014, 02:02 PM
they need to install the shear bolt, and break the head off, then install the plastic coverings

Stu_O
05-05-2014, 02:40 PM
I assume all that's covered in the dealer setup instructions? I'll bet the bike got a thorough PDI, too. :lame:

dadsafrantic
05-08-2014, 05:53 PM
there are no instructions according to the dealership.

dadsafrantic
05-08-2014, 05:55 PM
pdi? am i in trouble?

dadsafrantic
05-08-2014, 06:01 PM
ok so the parts weren't with the bike and a warranty claim is filed.

dadsafrantic
05-15-2014, 09:00 PM

none of the bikes shipped to san francisco had the plastic bits and metal tab. we checked all the pannier packages. one did however have the metal tab.

also my left side pannier had construction issues.
shoot. i didn't get a picture. the locking mechanism was installed with the center screw from the inside of the case set off center and forward. manufacture defect. new luggage on it's way. hopefully with the entire install bits.

Mags
05-21-2014, 11:58 AM
Ok....I have all the plastic covers in my "extra bits" bag. Mine look like dadsafrantic did.
Next question....how the F&%# do I get the cases off. I have put key in, turned counter-clockwise and won't budge-which from reading the "your panniers could fall off" thread, I guess is a good thing. What am I missing in trying to take them off.
So does the bolt head break off somewhat easily or should I just go back to dealer. I have sent them the two threads on this topic being as mine was first out of shop.

***update....got the bags off lol*** My dealer just emailed me back thanking me for the threads as they had no info on what they should look like.

twinkiethekid
05-21-2014, 12:46 PM
Ok....I have all the plastic covers in my "extra bits" bag. Mine look like dadsafrantic did.
Next question....how the F&%# do I get the cases off. I have put key in, turned counter-clockwise and won't budge-which from reading the "your panniers could fall off" thread, I guess is a good thing. What am I missing in trying to take them off.
So does the bolt head break off somewhat easily or should I just go back to dealer. I have sent them the two threads on this topic being as mine was first out of shop.

***update....got the bags off lol*** My dealer just emailed me back thanking me for the threads as they had no info on what they should look like.

You pushed the key in?

Mags
05-21-2014, 01:21 PM
You pushed the key in?

I had but obviously not hard enough LOL. At least they weren't loose!!!

keithc
05-21-2014, 02:25 PM
Mags

Almost spat my coffee out when I saw you latsest avatar. The mirrors make it look like you are wearing a black bra over your jacket. Or is this some sort of new super hero thing :)

Keit C

Mags
05-21-2014, 02:45 PM
Definitely new Super Hero thing - Capo Canadian is what I go by LOL. So cold up here we wear our undergarments on the outside hahaha.

I never noticed that but now that you point it out it does hahahaha.

But back to business-not quite sure how to go about breaking off the bolt head to allow for plastic bits to go over. And should I leave panniers off until fixed just in case?

keithc
05-21-2014, 03:40 PM
HI Mags

The bolts are Shrear bolts and the heads should shear off once the correct torque setting is reached. Then the plastic bits wil fit OK. Before making up your mind re using your panniers you might want to read trhis:
http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?274820-DANGER-pannier-can-fall-off-and-how-to-fix-it
How shear bolts work:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbo5teyC0hU

Keith C

Mags
05-21-2014, 09:44 PM
Awesome.....thanks Keith. I had seen that thread which is why I was wondering. They are pretty secure but I would like the added latch as a back up. Will give it a whirl tomorrow.

Mags
05-22-2014, 10:01 AM
Fixed!!! Thanks for the help!!!

dadsafrantic
05-23-2014, 10:47 PM
great info keith. awesome.

wthammond
10-07-2016, 09:51 PM
Thanks guys - I know old thread, but I just picked up the new Capo last week and am fettling with it. Was having trouble with the R pannier and this was the pearl I needed.

BrisbaNord
10-10-2016, 03:00 AM
Hi wthammond. Yep, I think whoever assembled the RHS pannier at the factory was a problem......;)

Still, it's an easy adjust - I just loosened the 10mm bolt and moved the alloy attachment out and so that the RHS pannier had the same tiny bit of fore-aft slack that the left side had, and it attached and unattached with ease........something the factory should have checked as everyone has whinged about this.

You could also rotate the funny little hooked safety plate by 180 Degrees. It is too far away from the safety wire loop to be effective. Once rotated you will see what I mean as the fat (blank) end fills the wire loop and will do a better job of not letting an un-secured pannier slide backwards and fall out of the upper pannier mounts. (be sure to use your finger to press the wire loop out so it lifts over the soft plastic lugs......something the manual doesn't advise......).

No need to file or grind anything......just a loosen and retension deal ( I left the alloy roller mount locked to the pannier and reset the tension with the pannier in place.......perfect alignment.....and of course, the fore-aft locked on movement test.......).

There is a great thread on here - I think called 'pannier may fall off' or similar......
:cheers:

wthammond
10-10-2016, 08:54 AM
Brisbanord thanks again. Cases easily slide in and out now after adjusting the RH attachment. Good tip on the safety wire, will look at that tonight.