PDA

View Full Version : A metal compatibility Question

fzwilly
04-28-2014, 07:36 PM
Recently I replaced the Stator on my 07 Factory and during assembly I broke the head off the bolt that holds the bracket that holds the wires down inside the case. # 18 is the offending fastener and I'm not sure what metal it is made of but I replaced it with a stainless steel screw like the one that holds the chin fearing on. I'm always concerned with metal compatibility and if fasteners will come loose because they heat/expand at different rates so maybe someone here can enlighten me. I used loctite on it snugged it down, I didn't know the exact torque spec on it and that is why I broke it in the first place. I find the manual to be difficult confirming certain fasteners.

kzmille
04-28-2014, 09:14 PM
It's probably a common 8.8 or even 5.8. A 5.8 is probably stronger than the stainless one. I've never torqued a 5mm bolt in my life. Most people don't have torque wrenches accurate enough for a 5mm screw. Blue Loctite and snug it up with a screw driver handle.

fzwilly
04-29-2014, 07:43 PM
It's probably a common 8.8 or even 5.8. A 5.8 is probably stronger than the stainless one. I've never torqued a 5mm bolt in my life. Most people don't have torque wrenches accurate enough for a 5mm screw. Blue Loctite and snug it up with a screw driver handle.

Seeing that only holds the Stator loom with no stress I should be OK with the Stainless bolt & Loctite then? Not really wanting to pull it all apart to replace bolt but I no it will be ugly if it breaks or backs out.

kzmille
04-29-2014, 07:54 PM
Yes, it should be fine.

fzwilly
04-30-2014, 04:57 AM
Thank you KZ